Dreaming of vacationing in the Swiss Alps or planning an exotic beach holiday in Bali? Getting all your essentials ready for the trip includes one key aspect- taking along your passport.
A passport is an official travel document that permits the holder to travel outside the borders of their country, as well as serving as an official identity document. Thus, a passport is essential for anyone seeking to go abroad for business or pleasure.
Passports in India are issued by the Ministry of External Affairs on behalf of the Government of India. Applying for a passport is a simple and convenient process, and applicants can choose to do so either online or offline.
Passport applicants from Ahmedabad can apply for a passport online by following the steps outlined below:
- Visit the Passport Seva website, run by the Ministry of External Affairs and register on the online portal.
- After logging in to the portal, click on the ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-Issue of Passport’ link on the page.
- Fill in the online form and submit it, making sure all the information entered is correct.
- On submission, go to the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ tab and click on the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link.
- Make the online payment (through SBI challan/internet banking or credit/debit card) and schedule an appointment at a Passport Seva Kendra/Regional Passport Office.
- Click on the ‘Print Application Receipt’ link after completing the above procedure and take a print out of the receipt.
- On the allotted day, visit the Passport Seva Kendra/Regional Passport Office with all relevant documents as well as the application receipt.
- On verification and processing of the application, the applicant will be notified and can collect the passport in person.
How To Apply For A Passport Offline In Ahmedabad
A PSK (Passport Seva Kendra) is a specially designated centre for processing passport applications. These centres process both offline as well as online applications. Applicants who have applied online have to submit their documents to a PSK after making an appointment through the Passport Seva website.
The PSK can also be used to submit offline passport applications without an appointment in certain cases, as outlined below:
- In the case of minors, senior citizens, handicapped applicants and for tatkal or urgent cases.
- All other applications can be submitted only after making an appointment at the PSK.
- The process to apply for a passport at a PSK is mentioned below:
- Buy a form from the PSK or a passport office or download one from the Passport Seva website.
- Make an appointment and submit the filled in form and documents on the appointed day.
- Pay the requisite processing fee, after which a file number will be issued, which can be used to track the application status through the Passport Seva website.
- Once the application has been processed and approved, the applicant will be notified and will have to collect the passport in person.
As a rule, passport applications cannot be made at a Regional Passport Office (RPO) unless the application is one of the application types that are processed at the RPO. In the case of such applications, the process to be followed is the same as an application to the PSK.
The passport application process is now a simple and quick way to apply for a passport, ensuring that applicants no longer have to endure long wait periods to receive their passport.