Bitten by the travel bug and looking to explore foreign shores? Then a passport is the first thing you need to pack before planning that adventure. A passport is an official document that is issued by a government that permits the holder to travel abroad as well as acts as a confirmation that the holder is a citizen of the issuing country.
Issued by the Ministry of External Affairs on behalf on the Indian Government, passports are issued through Regional Passport Offices (RPO) and Passport Seva Kendras (PSK).
The process for obtaining a passport has been simplified to cut down on the wait period as well as to streamline the process.
Applying for a passport online was introduced recently to reduce the number of applicants visiting the RPO and PSK, as well as making it more convenient for applicants.
Residents of Delhi can apply for a passport online by following the procedure mentioned below:
- Visit the Passport Seva website run by the Ministry of External Affairs and register on the site.
- Log in to the site and click on the ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-Issue of Passport’ tab on the homepage.
- Complete the online form and submit it.
- After submitting the form, go to the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ tab and select the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link.
- Make the processing fee payment (through internet banking/SBI challan/debit or credit card) and then choose an appointment date.
- Click on the ‘Print Application Receipt’ link after booking an appointment and print a copy of the receipt, which contains the application reference number.
- Visit the PSK/RPO on the appointed day and submit the documentation as well as the application receipt.
- On completion of the verification process, the passport can be collected in person.
How to Apply for a Passport through PSK/RPO in Delhi
Passport Seva Kendras (PSK) were set up to process passport applications and issue passports, relieving some of the burden on the Regional Passport Offices (RPO) that traditionally issue and process passport applications.
Applications cannot generally be submitted at RPOs unless the application type falls under the category that is processed by the RPO generally.
There are special situations when RPOs are permitted to issue regular passport as well. In such cases, the procedure to be followed is given below:
- Buy a form from the RPO or PSK or download one from the Passport Seva website.
- Fill in the form and submit it to the RPO along with the required documents and processing fee.
- A file number will be issued as acknowledgement of receipt of the application, which can be used to track the application through the Passport Seva website.
- Once the verification is successfully completed, the passport can be collected from the RPO in person.
The procedure for applying for a passport at a PSK is similar to the one mentioned above. However when visiting a PSK, a prior appointment is to be made to submit the documents and pay the fee.
Walk-in applicants will be considered only if they fall under the below categories:
- Senior citizens.
- Tatkaal or urgent cases.
- Handicapped applicants.
The above passport application procedures can be used to apply for a new passport as well as for re-issue of an expired passport.