A passport is an essential travel document that allows the holder to travel to foreign countries. It can also be used as an identity document through which the holder is recognised as a citizen of the issuing country.
The Ministry of External Affairs, which issues passports in India, has recently introduced online applications as well as numerous other measures to make the passport application process more convenient.
Applying for a passport can now be done wherever you are, whenever you wish to, through the online application process. Passport applicants in Bangalore can apply online by following the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Passport Seva website, the official passport website run by the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Register on the site and log in with your credentials.
- Click on the ‘Apply for New Passport/Re-Issue of Passport’ link on the page.
- Fill in the details required and submit the form.
- On submission, click on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ tab and select the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ option.
- Make the online payment through SBI challan/internet banking/ credit or debit card and then choose an appointment date for document submission.
- On selecting an appointment, click on the ‘Print Application Receipt’ link and print a copy of the application receipt.
- On the day of the appointment, visit the PSK/RPO with the documents as well as the application receipt.
- On successful verification of the application, you will receive a notification and can collect your passport in person from the RPO.
How to Apply for a Passport through PSK/RPO in Bangalore
Applicants can also apply for a passport offline through a Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or a Regional Passport Office (RPO).
The application process when applying at a PSK is given below:
- Buy a form from the PSK or download a form from the Passport Seva website and fill in details as requested.
- Submit the form and supporting documents to the PSK along with the processing amount.
- A file number will be issued as an acknowledgement of receipt of the application. This can be used to track the application through the Passport Seva website.
- Once the application has been processed and verified successfully, the applicant will receive a notification and can collect the passport in person from the PSK.
Generally passport applications are not accepted at RPOs unless they fall under the categories of passport that are processed at the centres.
Occasionally there are drives when the RPOs accept all passport applications.
The process to be followed for applications submitted at the RPO is similar to the PSK process outlined above.
The passport application process has become a quicker and more transparent one, with the introduction of application tracking online as well as online payment methods. This makes it more convenient for applicants and issuing authorities alike.
Is it Possible to Get Our Passport Quickly in Bengaluru?
At a time when everything is being done online, the police verification system for passports should not lag behind. There is a pilot project already in action that makes the most delayed process of police verification take only a week instead on the 30 day waiting period that people are unfortunately accustomed to. The online police verification is a new concept in the city and will take time to be availed at all police stations across the metropolitan city. However, the pilot project consists of 5 police stations across the city as organized by the The Bengaluru Regional Passport Office who are expected to slowly make sure that this service is available across the city.