After you have completed the passport application procedure, there will be a waiting period until your passport is issued. During this period, you can tracking passport application status to keep yourself updated.
There may be other reasons why you need to check your passport status e.g. you may want to track changes, corrections, updates or modifications made to your passport. This might pertain to change of name, address.
How To Check Passport Status Online?
To do this you have to visit the PSP portal i.e. the passport website www.passportindia.gov.in and on the home page you will have the option to ‘Track Your Application Status’. Clicking this link will redirect you to a page where you will have to key in the following information -
- You will have to select from 3 different options viz.
- Application Status
- Diplomatic/Official Application Status
- RTI Status
- If it is not pertaining to diplomatic passport or RTI applications, choose the first option i.e. application status.
- You will then have to key in your file number. The file number contains 15 alphanumeric characters and is mentioned on the Acknowledgement Letter. This letter is issued at the end of the application process at the PSK i.e. at the exit counter. It is also issued at the end of the manual application process at the DPC, SPC, CSC.You can check passport status by reference file number.
- The last field will require you to fill in your date of birth. You can also check passport application status by date of birth.
- If you have submitted this information correctly, you will move to the ‘Status Tracker’ page. Here, you can view the following details
- Your file number
- Your first and last name
- The application submission date
- The passport current status
- This will tell you at which stage of the procedure your passport application is in and you can await delivery of your passport or take action in case of a delay, accordingly.
Passport Tracking By National Call Centre
For passport tracking enquiry / related services enquiries (or information you cannot find on the website), you can contact the passport national call center using a toll-free number. You can either key in your file number directly through IVR or speak to customer representative to whom you will have to provide your file number as well as your birth date.
Tracking Passport Status By Helpdesk
Alternatively, you can also find information in the grievances and feedback section of the passport portal. Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs) have a helpdesk which can help with Indian passport inquiries on application status or updates. The passport portal also hosts a helpdesk that deals only with email inquiries. If you wish to you can reach out to your passport office via e-mail or by placing a call to the PO.
Check Passport Status Through SMS
Through your mobile phone you can opt for the Premium SMS service through which you will receive status updates on your passport application (up to 9 status updates). This comes at a charge of Rs.30 that is payable only once at the time of enrollment. You can pay and enroll for this service at the PSK when you go there to submit your application. Besides receiving automatic application progress notifications, you can use this service to make your own text enquiries to track your application. To do so send a text message (SMS) by typing in STATUS, then leave a space and enter the 15 digit alphanumeric file number to 9704100100. E.g. STATUS ABC1234567891011.
Passport Status Tracking by mPassport Seva app
The mPassport Seva app is another way to access information on your passport status. This app runs on all leading platforms viz. Android, BlackBerry, IOS and Windows. It can be downloaded via Google Play, BlackBerry World, App Store and Windows Phone. To track applications via the app, you will have to key in your file number and birth date. Additionally, you can use this app to track the passport delivery status as well.
Indian Passport Application Status Types
Your passport status is constantly updated as it moves through the entire passport application to delivery chain. When tracking your passport application you may come across these statuses messages indicating its progress through the system.
- Application submitted
- Application under review or under review with reason
- Police Verification initiated or pending
- Police Verification report submitted or under review or not clear
- Passport granted or printed or dispatched or returned undelivered
- PCC application forwarded or granted
You can take action, if required, according to the status displayed.
This indicates the application form and fees has been submitted and paid.
Application under review or under review with reason:
This indicates the application is being processed or is being reviewed for want of documentation or modification of details. You may have to visit the PSK to sort this out.
Police Verification Initiated or Pending:
This is when the PV request has been raised by the PO with the relevant police department or if raised is yet to be carried out.
Police Verification report submitted or under review or not clear:
This is when police verification for passport has been completed. Subsequently the PV report to be submitted by the relevant police department to the passport office has caused a hold-up in two ways.
- It is under review for want of information or
- The applicant has not cleared the verification process due to incriminating information that the police have uncovered about the applicant.
If your PV report has been held-up, you may have to rectify this at the police station by providing the police with the required information.
Passport application status granted or printed or dispatched or returned undelivered:
When the passport application has gone through the entire process successfully, your passport will be granted. It will then be printed and dispatched by the RPO. Dispatch is usually done via Speed Post and the same you can be tracked the passport dispatch status on the India Post website. You can also track your passport delivery status by going down to your nearest speed post center. If they are unable to locate your passport, you can contact your Regional Passport Office.
(If you are not present when your passport is delivered or there is no suitable person to take delivery in your absence, it will be taken back, marked undelivered).
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges