When an individual looks to apply for a passport, it is necessary to book an appointment at the Regional Passport Office or the Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs). This can be done by logging into the official website of Passport Seva, filling up the passport application form and paying the requisite fees. Once the appointment is booked, the applicant must get the printout of the ARN receipt and visit the place where the appointment is scheduled to process the passport application.
|Passport Application||Apply Passport Offline||PSK Passport Application|
|Passport Application Form||How to Fill Passport Application Forms|
How to Apply For a Passport Online?
When looking to apply for a passport online, an applicant needs to follow certain steps. The steps involved are described in details below:
- Visit the official website of Passport Seva.
- Find the section called ‘APPLY’.
- If the applicant is an existing user, he/she can login using the user ID and password.
- If the applicant is a first-time user, he/she will have to register and create an account. To register, the steps listed below needs to be followed:
- The applicant is required to click on ‘Register Now’ under the ‘New User’ tab.
- On doing that, the applicant is redirected to the user registration page where they are required to fill in the identifying details. The fields marked with an asterix (*) are mandatory to be filled in.
- In the first field, the applicant will have to choose where they are registering at i.e. either CPV Delhi or the Passport Office. (CPV is for application of diplomatic/official passports. However, these passports can also be applied through Passport Seva Kendras as well).
- The passport office relevant to the applicant is based on his/her current address.
- The field related to name is limited to 35 characters.
- Select the login ID. (It can be said to be the same as the email ID).
- Specify the password and confirm.
- Provide a hint question and answer. (This will come in handy if the applicant forgets the login details).
- Next, enter the captcha code and click on ‘Register’.
- Logging in will give the applicant access to the site and direct him/her to the Applicant Home page. There, the applicant can choose to apply for a:
- Fresh passport / Passport Reissue
- Diplomatic passport / official passport
- Police clearance certificate (PCC)
- Identity Certificate
Note: This applicant home page contains a link to view applications that had been saved and submitted. Hence, if an applicant has submit the application form, they can return to the page and view it. It needs to be mentioned that clicking on ‘Apply for fresh/reissue of passport’ on the applicant home page will take the applicant to the next step which is filling up the application form.
- The third step in the process of applying for a passport is filling up the application form which can be done either online or offline.
- To fill in the application form offline, the steps mentioned below needs to be followed by applicants:
- Click on the link provided to download the application form in soft copy.
- On doing so, the applicant is taken to the page ‘Download e-Form’. There, a link to an electronic form for each of the following is provided:
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Identity Certificate
- Click on the appropriate link to download the e-form.
- Fill the application e-form
- Click on the link that mentions ‘Upload e-form’.
- Upload the filled-in application form.
- To fill the passport application form online, the applicant is required to click on the link provided on the home page on the Passport Seva website.
- Once the applicant clicks on the link, he/she is redirected to the ‘Passport Type’ page where they are required to choose between:
- Fresh passport or reissue of passport
- Booklet of 36 pages/60 pages
- Validity of 10 years/up to 18 years of age/not applicable
- After selecting the correct options, click on the ‘Next’ icon.
- On doing so, the applicant will be taken to the subsequent pages that denotes different sections of the application that needs to be filled. The sections that the applicant is required to fill up are mentioned below:
- Passport Type (current page)
- Applicant Details
- Family Details
- Present Address
- Present Address 1
- Present Address 2
- Emergency Contact
- Previous Passport,
- Other Details
- Submit the duly filled form
- Step Four: Schedule, Pay and Book the appointment
- The applicant is required to go to the ‘Applicant Home’ page.
- Next, click on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’.
- Doing that, will display a page containing details about the application form that the applicant has submitted earlier. The details mentioned below are shown in tabular form:
- File Number
- Applicant Name
- Appointment Date and Submission Number
- Next, the applicant is needed to select the ARN of the form they filled.
- On doing so, a table comprising of the options mentioned below are displayed
- Retrieve partially filled form
- Pay and Schedule Appointment
- Print Application Receipt
- View/Print Submitted Form
- Track Application Status
- Track Payment Status
- Payment Receipt
- Upload Supporting Documents
- Appointment History
- The applicant is required to click on ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ from among the options provided.
- This initiates the payment process. Next, the applicant is required to choose the mode of payment from among the two provided, viz. Online payment and Challan payment.
If an applicant wishes to fill the passport application form online, the applicant can do so by following the steps mentioned below:
Note: Choose not applicable if the applicant is over 18 years of age; choose 10 years or up to 18 years of age, if the applicant is a minor aged between 15 and 18 years.
Note: The applicant is required to stay connected to the internet while filling the form. It needs to be mentioned that if the internet speed is lower than 512 kbps, the process of filling up the application form will be a slow one.
The fourth step in the process of availing a passport in India involves scheduling an appointment in a bid to visit the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) where the applicants will have to present themselves. This can be done by following the below mentioned ways:
Note: Applicants are required to make online payments for booking appointments at all PSKs. If paying for tatkal appointments, passport fee to be paid to book the appointment is the same as for Normal appointments. Once the appointment is successfully confirmed, the balance tatkal passport fee will have to be paid at the PSK in cash.
- Once payment is made the next step is to book the passport appointment.
- If the applicants choose to pay online, they can move on to booking the appointment immediately. If they choose to pay through cash/challan, they are required to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Take the challan to an SBI branch and pay the required amount in cash. (Note: This can be done only after 3 hours of challan generation, which is valid for 85 days.)
- Next, collect a copy of the challan from the receiving bank personnel.
- The bank takes 2 days to verify the ARN details provided on the challan.
- Successful payment of the fees will be displayed on the website post-verification where the applicant can ‘track the payment status’. An email update is also sent.
- Once the applicants receives an update on successful payment, they can ‘Schedule the appointment’.
- On visiting the page, the applicant can see all the available dates for appointments at PSKs under the Regional Passport Office (RPO). Apart from that, it also shows the ARN.
- There, the applicant is required to select a PSK based on the available date.
- Following that, the applicant is required to enter the displayed code and click on the ‘Next’ icon. (For regular applications, the applicant is required to select the Normal appointment quota; while for tatkal passport applications the tatkal appointment quote is needs to be selected)
- Next, select ‘Pay and Book the Appointment’
- On doing that, details about the application such as ARN, name, what the applicant is applying for, the amount that needs to be paid, contact number, and the appointment date. The applicant is required to check the details and click on the icon that is located on the bottom right corner of the screen for appointment and booking.
- The applicant is redirected to the payment gateway which is the SBI Multi Option Payment System (MOPS).
- There the applicant is required to choose the payment method i.e. Net Banking or card payment. Cash payments are required to be made at an SBI branch.
- Visit the ‘Applicant Home’ page
- Click on ‘Track Payment Status’
- On successful completion of payment, the applicant receives confirmation of the appointment and an appointment number.
- The appointment confirmation page displays details about the appointment like the ARN, name, birth date, what the applicant has applied for, the appointment quota, chosen PSK, the passport application appointment date, and time and the passport application appointment ID.
- The next step that the applicant is needed to follow is to click on ‘Print Application Receipt’ at the bottom right corner.
- Step Five: Print ARN Receipt
- Details of ARN, type of application, name, place and date of birth, gender and marital status, type employment, father’s name, current address etc.
- Details of the first and second reference.
- Payment details like total fee paid along with the date and time of payment and payment transaction ID.
- Appointment details like location of the PSK and its address, date and time of passport appointment, appointment ID and well as the reporting time.
- After reviewing these details, the applicant is required to click on ‘Print Application Receipt’ at the bottom right corner.
- The last step of this process is the display of the ‘Passport Application Receipt’. This is proof of completion of the passport online application process.
- The receipt contains the details of the applicant like references, payment details and appointment details. It also contains a tabular display of the batch, sequence number and reporting time.
- Applicants need to carry documents to the PSK i.e. originals and one set of self-attested photocopies.
- Adults need not carry photographs as the photograph of the applicant will be taken at the PSK. However, if the applicant is a minor below 4 years of age, a recent photograph with white background needs to be carried. The size of the photograph should be 4.5 X 3.5 cms.
- The applicant is required to be present at the PSK before the reporting time as a token will be issued to the applicant only if they arrive before the reporting time.
- The applicant who comes to the PSK can be accompanied by one family member except in the case of the applicant being a minor, senior citizen, handicapped or illiterate.
- Applicants must abstain from carrying electronic items like cameras, harmful objects or substances inside the PSK.
- The applicant must be careful with regards to payment details as the payment made can never be refunded.
- To complete the process, the applicant can click on the ‘Printing the Application Receipt’ icon located at the bottom of the page.
- After the application receipt is printed, the applicant needs to click on the ‘Close’ icon.
Note: Applicants can use the fee calculator tool to ascertain the fee payable depending on the type of application. This can be found in the left navigation bar of the portal. It needs to be mentioned that no fees is charged for Diplomatic/Official Passports applications.
In case there is a hitch in the system whereby the applicant has been charged the passport fee without having the payment successfully processed online. The applicant is required to follow the steps mentioned below:
If the payment has been processed successfully, the applicant can proceed to get an appointment confirmation. However, if it has not been processed, it will indicate a failed payment. In such an instance, the amount charged will be refunded to the applicant’s account within a week. If the amount is not debited within the specified period, the applicant needs to get in touch with the customer care executives. It needs to be mentioned that once the fees is paid successfully, there will be no refunds.
The fifth step in the process of applying for a passport application online is to get the application receipt printed. The application receipt page gives the applicants the following particulars about their application:
The receipt contains two barcodes, one each at the top and bottom right corners. It also comes with instructions for the applicants. The following instructions are listed on the receipt:
Note: The applicants are required to carry the application receipt when they visit the PSK for appointment. In case the applicant is unable to attend the appointment, he/she can reschedule or cancel the appointment as soon as possible. If the appointment is cancelled or rescheduled, the applicant will be required to make a fresh payment.
In case, multiple payments are made for the same appointment/application/ARN, the excess amount will be refunded by the RPO. The passport appointment can be rescheduled twice within a year from the date of the original appointment. However, if the applicant misses the appointment, he/she can’t reschedule the appointment.
In case, the applicant misses the appointment, he/she will have to repeat the entire application process from the beginning to set up a new booking.
How to Apply Online For Diplomatic Passport/Official Passport
Diplomatic or Official passports are issued to those individuals who hold diplomatic status or are deputed by the Government of India to travel abroad on official duty. This document can also be used as proof of address and identity. Applications for Diplomatic and Official passports are normally entertained only at the Consular, Passport and Visa (CPV) Division, Patiala House, New Delhi. However, you can also choose to apply at the Passport Office attached to the present address of the applicant.
The pointers mentioned below will help guide applicants, who wish to apply for an Official or Diplomatic passport online -
- Applicants need to visit the official website of the Passport Seva Kendra or passport providing centers in India.
- They need to click on the ‘Register Now’ link provided on the homepage and register themselves on the Passport Seva online portal.
- On doing so, they will be given an ID which needs to be used to login to the Passport Seva Online Portal.
- Applicants then have to click on the link that reads ‘Apply for Diplomatic/Official Passport’.
- After doing so, the necessary form needs to be downloaded, filled in and submitted along with required documentary proof.
- Next, the printout of the completed application will have to be taken through the ‘View/Print Submitted Form’ link that is available on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ page.
- This printed copy of the online application form will have to be taken to the Consular Passport and Visa Division, Patiala House in New Delhi Passport Office along with necessary documents in original, attached to the current address and submit the application.