Applying for a passport can be done online by visiting the official Passport Seva website. The Ministry of External Affairs has now made all passport applications online, so if you’re looking to renew or apply for a fresh passport, you will have to go through the online application process.
How to Apply for a Passport Online?
When looking to apply for a passport online, an applicant needs to follow certain steps. The steps involved are described in details below:
Step 1: Passport Seva log-in
- Visit the official website of Passport Seva & Click on the ‘APPLY’ section.
- If you are an existing user, you can login using the user ID and password.
- If you are a first-time user, you will have to register and create an account. Follow the steps below to register:
- Click on ‘Register Now’ by clicking on this link.
- Enter the login ID & password. Enter the captcha code and click on ‘Register’.
Step 2: Choosing the Application Type
After logging in, you will have to choose the relevant service from the options provided. You can choose to apply for a:
- Fresh passport/passport reissue
- Diplomatic passport/official passport
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)
- Identity Certificate
Step 3: Filling the Application Form
Filling in the application form can be done online or offline. To fill in the application form offline, follow the steps given below:
- Click on the link provided to download the application form in soft copy.
- A link to an electronic copy of the following forms will be displayed. Download the relevant form based on your application type:
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Identity Certificate
- Fill in the application e-form and click on the ‘Upload e-form' link.
- Upload the filled-in application form.
You can also fill in the application form online and submit the same. You can also partially fill-in the form and complete the process at a later date. It is advisable to check the form once before submitting it.
Step 4: Schedule, Pay & Book the appointment
After filling in and submitting the form, you will have to schedule an appointment at your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or relevant passport authority. Booking an appointment can be done as mentioned below:
- Go to the ‘Applicant Home’ page & click on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’.
- The submitted application form details will be displayed. Choose the ARN of the form you have submitted.
- Click on ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ option from the ones provided.
- Next, choose the mode of payment from among the two provided, viz. Online payment and Challan payment.
Note: If paying for tatkaal appointments, the online fee is the same as a regular passport fee. The balance amount is to be paid at the PSK on the appointment date.
If you are paying online, you can move on to booking the appointment immediately. If you choose to pay through challan, you will have to do the following:
- Take the challan to an SBI branch and pay the required amount in cash. (Note: This can be done only after 3 hours of challan generation, which is valid for 85 days.)
- Next, collect a copy of the challan from the receiving bank personnel.
- The bank takes 2 days to verify the ARN details provided on the challan.
- Successful payment of the fees will be displayed on the website post-verification where the applicant can ‘track the payment status’. An email update is also sent.
Scheduling the appointment
- On the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ page, select the PSK of your choice.
- Choose a convenient slot from the available dates mentioned. There, the applicant is required to select a PSK based on the available date.
- Confirm your appointment slot by entering the CAPTCHA code.
- Next, select ‘Pay and Book the Appointment’
- Application details such as ARN, name, type of application, the amount that needs to be paid, contact number, and the appointment date will be displayed.
- If you have chosen to pay online, you will be redirected to the payment gateway.
On successful completion of payment, you will receive confirmation of the appointment and an appointment number. An SMS with the details will also be sent. Print a copy of the application receipt. All PSKs now also accept the SMS for appointment proof.
In case, multiple payments are made for the same appointment/application/ARN, the excess amount will be refunded by the RPO. The passport appointment can be rescheduled twice within a year from the date of the original appointment. However if you miss the appointment, you can’t reschedule the appointment.
How to Apply for Diplomatic Passport/Official Passport Online
Diplomatic or Official passports are issued to those individuals who hold diplomatic status or are deputed by the Government of India to travel abroad on official duty. This document can also be used as proof of address and identity. Applications for Diplomatic and Official passports are normally entertained only at the Consular, Passport and Visa (CPV) Division, Patiala House, New Delhi. However, you can also choose to apply at the Passport Office attached to the present address of the applicant.
The pointers mentioned below will help guide applicants, who wish to apply for an Official or Diplomatic passport online -
- Visit the official website of the Passport Seva Kendra & click on the ‘Register Now’ link.
- On doing so, they will be given an ID which needs to be used to login to the Passport Seva Online Portal.
- Applicants then have to click on the link that reads ‘Apply for Diplomatic Passport’.
- After doing so, the necessary form needs to be downloaded, filled in and submitted along with required documentary proof.
- Next, the printout of the completed application will have to be taken through the ‘View/Print Submitted Form’ link that is available on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ page.
- This printed copy of the online application form will have to be taken to the Consular Passport and Visa Division, Patiala House in New Delhi Passport Office along with necessary documents in original, attached to the current address and submit the application.
Procedure for Submission of e-Form
Here are the steps required to submit your e-Form:
Step 1: Visit the official website of Passport Seva
Step 2: On the homepage click on the ''Download e-Form'' link
Step 3: Fill up the form with accurate details
Step 4: Click on the button ''Validate and Save'' (an XML file will be generated which will have to be uploaded later)
Step 5: On the homepage, click on the link ''Register Now''
Step 6: Use your registered ID to log in
Step 7: Click on ''Upload e-Form'' and select the XML file generated in step 4
Step 8: On the ''View Saved/Submitted Applications'' page click on ''Pay and Schedule Appointment''. Payment can be done through internet banking of SBI, associated banks, and others, as well as through SBI challan, and debit or credit cards as well.
Step 9: Click the link for ''Print Application Receipt'' (not mandatory to print this as you can also show the SMS with the application details at the office)
Step 10: Visit the Regional Passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra that was booked along with your original documents on the date of the appointment
- How to apply for a passport?
- How to edit passport application form after submission?
- How to cancel submitted passport application online?
- Will I be required to visit the PSK for background verification while applying for U.S. CBP Global Entry Program (GEP)?
- Will I have to paste the photograph in the printed copy of online filled Diplomatic Passport Application Form? If yes, then what should be the specifications of the photograph?
You can apply for a passport by registering through the Passport Seva Online portal. Once the registration is done, you can login to the portal using the registered login ID and do the needful like filling the application form, scheduling appointment, and paying the necessary fees.
To edit a passport application which has been submitted, you need to ask the Citizen Service Executive (CSE) present at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Post Office Passport Seva Kendra (POPSK)
You can cancel the submitted passport application by logging on to the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) portal three days prior to the date of appointment. You can do it by clicking on ‘Submitted/View Saved applications’ under the PSK portal and then proceeding to ‘Schedule Appointment’ option. There you can click on ‘Cancel’ option to cancel your passport application.
Yes, you will have to visit the PSK for submission of your background verification if you have enrolled for GEP.
Yes, you will have to affix your photo on the printed copy of the application form. You will have to carry two colored photographs where the size of each photo should be 4.5 cm x 3.5 cm. Both photographs should have white background.