Indian Passport for US Born Child to Indian Parents

If you are of Indian origin, but your child was born in the United States, you can obtain an Indian passport for the child. The process is simple. The child will be issued a separate passport. There is no longer a provision for the child’s name to be included in the parent’s passport. For children below 18 years, the passport will be valid for five years from the date of issue.


  • The first step you need to take is register the birth of the child at the Indian Mission in the U.S.
  • You can apply online for the passport.
  • Choose the application for “Passport for Children up to 18 years of age”.
  • You can then apply in person or by mail.

Applying in Person

  • Get the application form online, fill it in and print it out.
  • Make an appointment with the application center online.
  • Visit the Consular Officer with all the supporting documents enclosed with application form.
  • Both parents need to be present. In the event that either parent cannot make it, an authority letter or consent letter must be provided by the parent not in attendance granting authority to the other parent to make the application.
  • You then need to provide the original print out of your completed application at the application center.
  • The Consular Office will verify and crosscheck your application.

Applying by Mail

  • Enclose your documents with the application form and send it as soon as possible to the consular office.
  • You can send the mail irrespective of the date of appointment.
  • Ensure you send your application via a certified mail which generates a return receipt. You can also send it by express mail or private courier. This is required because the Indian passport application Center does not have a way to acknowledge applications received through post.
  • For mail applications, all applications will be treated equally.
  • The Consulate Office will not be responsible if your application or documents are misplaced, lost or damaged by a travel agent or a third party.
  • The passport will be issued to the address mentioned on the application.
  • If you change your address during the course of the application, you need to file the new address with the United States Postal Service. Fill up a change of address form and the mail will be forwarded to your new address.


  • The child should be born in the United States with parents of Indian origin.
  • The child should not have attained the age of 18 years.
  • The child should not have a US Passport.

Documents Required

  • Duly filled and notarized application form
  • Notarized copy of the birth certificate
  • Extract from the birth register that is issued by an Indian Mission in the United States
  • If the child is on Adjustment of Status (I-485), then a copy of the parents EAD is required along with the I-485 receipt of the child
  • Proof of residence
    • Applicant’s state ID
    • Proof of Address in the parent's’ name
  • Documents required from the parents
    • Notarized photocopies of the first and last pages of both the parents’ passports
    • Notarized photocopies of valid visa of both parents
    • If the parents are divorced, a photocopy of the divorce certificate and the custodianship by order of the court has to be submitted
    • If one of the parents is deceased, a photocopy of the death certificate is needed
    • Notarized no objection certificate or affidavit from both parents

Child’s Name Endorsed on Parent’s Passport

In case your child’s name is already endorsed on your passport, then you can apply for a separate passport.

  • You need to submit the original passport of the parent who has the child’s name endorsed.
  • Provide a notarized photocopy of the endorsement page, the first five and last two pages of the passport.
  • The name will then be deleted from the parent’s passport and a new passport will be issued in the child’s name.

Renewal of Passport

  • The child’s passport will be valid only for 5 years from the date of issue and will need to be renewed.
  • Until the child turns 18, upon every renewal you will need to make an application for change of appearance as well.
  • A recent photo will be required.
  • In case of lost or stolen passports, the application can only be made in person and cannot be sent by mail.

Indian passports are issued to citizens of India. But in case Indian parents have a child in the U.S., in this case the child can still get an Indian passport provided that the child does not hold a U.S. passport. The application procedure is simple. Check with the Indian Mission in the U.S. for accurate information to minimize the processing time for the passport as well as reduce any hassle.

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.