In cases where individuals have gone through a divorce and wishes to change their name in the passport, it is advisable for the person to apply for a reissue of Passport.
Steps to change name in passport post-divorce
- Apply through the online or by visiting the Passport Seva Kendra.
- Apart from a copy of the old Passport, they must furnish the following:
- A self-attested copy of the Divorce Certificate OR copy of Divorce Decree certified by the court.
- Sworn Affidavit or Deed Poll based on Annexure 'E' that has been provided in the Instruction Booklet for Passports.
- The above must be submitted along with a filled-in copy of Form No. II for Miscellaneous Services.
- The above must be submitted along with a nominal fee either directly to the Passport Office or online. If submitting to the office, they will have to take an appointment.
- After submission of all documents, individuals can collect the re-issued Passport on the said date.
Read More Related Articles
- How To Change Name in Passport After Marriage
- How to Add Name of the Spouse After Marriage
- How To Change Middle Name/Surname in Passport
- How to apply for minor passport without the spouse's name endorsed in it?
- How to Change Date of Birth in Passport ?
- How to Make Passport for Newborn in India ?
News About Name Change
HC Asks Officials to Remove Name of Divorced Husband from Passport
A Regional Passport Officer from Kochi was asked by the Kerala High Court to consider a Muslim woman's application seeking removal of her estranged husband's name from her passport. This directive was issued after a writ was filed by a Ashna Moidu of Kothamangalam to the passport authorities to delete the name of her former husband, from her passport.
She was divorced by her husband by uttering 'talaq' and the authorities did not entertain the application as she had not produced a decree of court as divorce evidence. However, the court said that divorce by saying 'talaq' was a mode of dissolution that was recognized by Muslim Personal Law. Hence, the Regional Passport Officer was asked to consider this application without asking for a court order as an evidence of this divorce.
15th September 2016