While applying for an Indian passport the applicant should submit his date of birth proof such as birth certificate. On basis of the documents provided the passport is issued; so there will not be any question of change of date of birth in passport. But while issuing a passport the passport authority may make an error in date of birth on passport. It is the applicant's responsibility to check that the details that are printed on the passport are correct as soon as the passport is issued.
It is very rare that the information is printed wrong by the passport issuing authority, but if it happens the applicant can contact the passport officer and request for the change in date of birth.
It is also possible that the applicant may find that the date of birth provided by him/her is wrong after the passport is issued.
If the error was from passport authority, then a new passport is issued with correct date of birth without any fee. If the error was from applicant then they charge a fee of Rs. 500 for issuing a new passport with corrected date of birth.
Birth Certificate for Passport While applying for Indian passport, you need to specify your Date of Birth in the application form.
Proof of Date of Birth The following can be produced along with the application form for proof of date of birth,
- Birth Certificate issued by a municipal authority or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths
- Date of Birth certificate from the school last attended by the applicant or any other recognized educational institution
- An affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating date of birth by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants.
In case of applicants, born on or after 26-01-89, only birth certificate issued by the municipal authority or the office of registrar of births & deaths is acceptable.
Read More Related Articles
- How to Change Name in Passport after Divorce
- How To Change Name in Passport After Marriage
- How To Change Middle Name/Surname in Passport
- How to Add Name of the Spouse After Marriage
- How to apply for minor passport without the spouse's name endorsed in it?
- How to Make Passport for Newborn in India ?