A passport is an official document provided by the government to every citizen who wishes to travel to and from the country at any given point of time under the protection of the government. This document also acts as a proof of address and identity as it contains information such as the document holder’s name, age, address, signature and photograph.
There are instances wherein individuals will have to change certain details in their passports after having received it such as names, address and so on. This article will talk about the steps needed for individuals to follow if they wish to delete the name of their spouse, for whatever reason, from their passport.
The only reasons for which individuals can delete the name of their spouse from the Passport is if they have expired or if the individual has separated from them legally.
Procedure To Remove Spouse Name In Indian Passport
- In order to delete the name of the spouse, individuals will have to first visit the website of the passport seva or one of the centers and procure a form 002 which is meant for ‘miscellaneous services’ and fill it. In case individuals are downloading it online, they will have to choose the option titled, ‘ reissue of passport’. After this they should select the option ‘change in existing personal particular’ and then choose ‘spouse name’ and then select ‘change in existing personal particulars’.
- Individuals will have to provide the following documents:
- Original passport with a self-attested photocopy of the first and last two pages.
- Copy of death certificate of spouse (in case of death of spouse)
- In case the applicant is applying for deletion of the spouse’s name due to divorce, then a Certified Copy of the Divorce Decree and Sworn Affidavit/Deed Poll(Annexure ‘E’)
- An appointment will have to be scheduled at the passport office and arrive on time on the said day along with the required fee, documents and application form.
- Those who have obtained an appointment by applying online need not procure a token to wait.
- Once it is the turn of the applicant, he/she will have to submit necessary documents personally or through a representative with identity proof and an authority letter that has been signed by the applicant as per the Annexure.
- Once passport documents have been submitted and verified, individuals can collect the endorsed Passport with the updated details.
By following the steps mentioned above, individuals can get the name of their spouse deleted from their passport.
How To Articles
Read Other Articles