Individuals who wish to apply for passports can do using the Passport Seva Online Portal. The system will automatically select the date and time at which the applicant will have to be present for an appointment. To book appointments, a service fee will have to be paid online at http://www.passportindia.gov.in/. The appointment, once confirmed by the service, can be rescheduled or cancelled by the applicant only two time in a year.
How to make Online Payments
Applicants can pay the service fee for their passport appointments via two methods as follow:
- E-Payment (credit card, debit card or internet banking).
- Bank challan payable at any branch of State Bank of India within the country.
Making payments through internet banking
Following are the steps to follow for applicants who wish to pay the service fee via the online route:
- Create a User ID and register via the Passport Seva Online Portal.
- Login with your new ID.
- Select the link that says apply for fresh passport / Reissue of Passport from the Services section.
- Generate an Account Reference Number under the Tatkaal or Normal scheme. There are two ways to this: upload an e-Form, or fill up and submit the online form.
- Schedule an appointment by either selecting Schedule Appointment (in case you have already paid the service fee), or Pay and Schedule Appointment on the View Saved/Submitted Applications page.
Making payments through bank challans
Following are the steps to follow for applicants who wish to pay the service fee through a bank challan:
- Go to Section 2.1 of Internet Banking and follow the first steps as it will enable you to redirect and navigate the View Saved/Submitted Applications page.
- Schedule an appointment by either selecting Schedule Appointment (in case service fee has already been paid), or Pay and Schedule Appointment on the View Saved/Submitted Applications page.
- In case you have not made the payment yet, you will be allowed to access the Pay and Schedule Appointment page. Upon opening this link, two options will appear: Online Payment and Challan Payment.
- In case you have made the payment towards service fees, the Schedule Appointment option will become accessible.
- If you wish to pay through a challan, choose the Challan Payment option will appear and once there, you will have to select the link that says Next>> to redirect to the Make Payment page.
- Hit the Generate Challan option on the Make Payment page to generate a challan.
- A printout of this challan must be taken and deposited along with the specified amount. The fee can be paid at any of the SBI branches and once the deposit is made, the fee payment information will be entered in the system by the bank officials.
- You will be notified regarding the status of the challan via email, and you can also check the status from time to time by visiting the Track Payment Status page.
- When there is confirmation of successful payment, you will receive an email to book an appointment. To book an appointment, you will have to visit the Schedule Appointment page.
- On the Schedule Appointment page, choose Appointment Quota (Tatkaal / Normal) and select the preferred passport office that you would like to visit for an appointment.
- Select the Book Appointment option and your slot will be confirmed.
- Passport for Retired Government Officials
- Indian Passport for US Born Child to Indian Parents
- Short Validity Passport
- Passport Renewal and Re-issue
- Indian Passport Position in the World
- Reasons for Rejection of Passport
- Emergency Travel Document
- Passport Fee Calculator
- Change of Appearance
- Know Your Police Station for Passport
- Postal Dispatch of Passport