A passport is an official document provided by the Indian Government to citizens who wish to travel abroad. This document ensures that Indians can travel out of the country under the Indian Government’s protection. All citizens of India can avail this document by applying for the same, either online or offline at a Passport Seva Kendra.
Given below are some of the miscellaneous queries regarding passports.
- In case an applicant’s permanent and present address are different, will he/she have to endorse his/her permanent address instead of the present address in the passport?
- If an applicant has resided in more than one address in the previous year, will the police verification have to be done for all of the places?
- While applying for a fresh passport, an individual has mentioned the address of the paying guest that he is staying at as present address on the form. In case he shifts to a different address prior to police verification, is there any step that has to be taken?
- In case a self employed person has shifted from one city to another and wishes to apply for a passport on a Tatkaal basis, without having a proof of address, what can he/she do?
Applicant will only have to endorse his/her present address on the passport and not the permanent address.
Yes, police verification for an individual for the purpose of passport will have to be done for all address that he/she has stayed at during the previous year.
In case an individual changes his current residence prior to police verification, he should inform the nearest Police Station’s Department in Charge.
In is compulsory for an individual to submit address proof while applying for a passport. Any one of the following documents will have to be attached as proof of address -
- Telephone bill/Water bill/Electricity bill/Bank statement of an active account/Income Tax Assessment/Voter ID/Certificate from an Employer of a reputed company bearing the letterhead of the company/Gas Connection.
- Copy of spouse’s passport, as long as applicant’s current address matches the one mentioned in the spouse’s passport.
- In case applicant is a minor, copy of parent’s passport
- Aadhar card
- Registered rent agreement
The applicant can apply for a passport but will have to submit address proof of his/her parents/guardians along with proof of date of birth. Passport will be provided based on the approval of the Competent Authority of Assistant Passport Officer/RPO/CPV Division.
The Passport Seva Kendra is open from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. from Monday to Friday. Tokens are issued between 9.30 a.m. to 4.00 p.m. and lunch is between 1.30 p.m to 2.00 p.m.
- Short Validity Passports are provided in the following circumstances -
- In case necessary, students will be issued a Short Validity Passport when they provide admission letters if they appears in examinations such as SAT, TOEFL, etc. These applications can also be processed under Tatkaal Scheme as long as the application is accompanied by proof of urgency and verification certification is given to the Passport Office.
- In case of non-delivery of passports to the applicants due to a loss in transit in post offices and if the passport requirement is urgent, a Short Validity Passport may be issued, the validity will be extended to full term after all formalities have been completed.
- Non-Resident Indians who are visiting India for a short period of time can procure a Short Validity Passport. This is valid for a year, on production of identity proof and/or production of return ticket. Document of identity can be Green Card, Driving License, Social Security Card, Employment Permit, labor card, health card, etc., whichever indicates the holder’s identity and nationality. In case the application is for the issue of a duplicate passport due to damaged passport, the damages passport would serve as proof of identity as long as details in it are legible.
- In case the applicant has a criminal case pending against him/her in any Court, a Short Validity Passport can be provided as long as a written permission is provided by the Court. A Short Validity Passport that is valid for a year is given, subject to certain conditions.
The validity of the new Short Validity Passport will be decided by the RPO or Assistant Passport Officer.
In case there are discrepancies in the particulars in the passport booklet and application form that was submitted, the passport should be returned for necessary rectification. Additional fee may have to be paid based on the case and is decided by the Assistant Passport Officer or Regional Passport Officer. In case there has been a misrepresentation of facts, a penalty could be imposed. Applicants are hence, requested to verify their application form and all the information printed on it prior to submitting it.
Affidavits need to be prepared on a non-judicial stamp paper of a minimum value.
It is compulsory for all applicants to be physically present while providing the passport application form at the said Passport Seva Kendra.
Special Passports are issued by the Indian Government to those who wish to travel to Sri Lanka or Bangladesh and are useful only when applicants wish to travel to that specific destination country. The Government has stopped issuing Indo-Bangladesh passports in 2006, however those that have already been issued are valid until they expire. These passports allow applicants to travel to Bangladesh without the need for a visa, which otherwise would be needed.