People prefer to apply for passports online given the convenience and ease with which it can be done through this mode. However, for some who cannot access the internet or have problems applying for a passport online, there is a provision for offline application of passports.
Where To Apply For A Passport ?
You can apply for a passport either online (www.passportindia.gov.in), by submitting the passport application form on the passport website, or offline, by submitting the form at any of the below centers.
- District Passport Cell (DPC)
- Speed Post Centre (SPC)
- Citizen Service Centre (CSC)
Note Only applications for fresh / new passports can be submitted at DPCs, SPCs and CSCs.
These centers will sell and accept passport forms (for new passports only; applications for passport reissue/renewal/diplomatic/official passport and other related services will not be entertained), collect supporting documents and verify the same and collect the required passport fees. Fingerprints / biometrics are not collected at these centers. Once this is done, the application is forwarded to the appropriate Regional Passport Office (RPO) for further processing i.e. connecting with police departments for police verification, issuance, printing, and lamination and dispatching of documents.
These centers were allowed to accept applications to help ease the burden on mainstream passport issuing authorities like PSKs and POs.
Offline Passport Application Process
The passport form can filled and submitted manually at the abovementioned centers.
Where you can get passport forms
For instructions on what forms to be filled to apply for a passport and how to fill the passport form correctly, There are certain guidelines to be followed to avoid rejection of the passport form.
Passport forms can be
- Downloaded and printed (back to back, A4 paper) off the internet from the passport (PSP) website (www.passportindia.gov.in). The form can be found on the websites home page as a link called Print Application Form.
- Bought at the abovementioned centres.
How To Apply For Passport At District Passport Cell (DPC) ?
You will have to approach the appropriate passport cell for your district. A list of DPCs can be obtained here. At the DPC counter you will have to
- Submit the passport forms with photographs (as per specifications)
- Submit supporting documentation (self-attested)
- Provide original documentation for verification (if required)
- Pay passport fee via DD
- Receive Acknowledgement Letter containing the File Number
Submitting Passport Forms At Dpcs
- As mentioned above, you can download and print the passport form from the Passport Seva website, fill it in manually and submit it.
- You can also buy the form at the DPC by paying Rs.10
Only the new format of the passport form should be used.
Documentation And Photographs For Passport Applications At Dpcs
When you go to a DPC to apply for a passport, you will have to carry along supporting documentation to be submitted along with your passport application form. You will have to submit self-attested photocopies of your documents but remember to carry along the originals as well. The receiving DPC official may ask to verify the copies against the originals. When submitting the documents, ensure you fill in the section Enclosures by listing out details of all the documents you submit.
You will have to carry along photographs as well. Photographs should be 4.5 cms x 3.5 cms free of any marks, signatures, stamps etc. It should be a coloured photo which has been taken recently with a white or light background.
Affix the photograph where specified in the form. Ensure all mentioned documents are also attached to the form. There is provision for a signature under the photograph on the form. Ensure you sign here as well as on the last page under Self-Declaration
Passport Fee Payment At DPC
Once your passport documents and forms have been reviewed, verified and accepted by the DPC official, you will have to pay the required fee. Find the passport fee payable for fresh / new applications here.
Passport fees can be paid only via Demand Draft (DD) at the District Passport Cell (DPC). The DD should be drawn by a scheduled bank favouring PAO-MEA and should be drawn for the exact amount of the passport fee. The DD should have a validity period of 60 days (as from the date it is given to the DPC) and should be payable in the RPO city. Ensure you mention your (i.e. you as an applicant) details on the reverse of the Demand Draft viz. name, birthdate, application submission date.
Acknowledgement Letter With File Number For Tracking Application Status
On payment of required fee and completion of the submission process, you will be issued an acknowledgement letter which will contain a file number. This file no. can be fed into the passport portal to track your passport application status.
To do this, go to the portal www.passportindia.gov.in where you will find the icon
Passport Application At Speed Post Centers(SPC)
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in conjunction with the Department of Posts has established a process whereby passport applications can be submitted at Speed Post Centers (SPCs).
However, you can apply/submit forms for a passport only at certain Speed Post Centers in your district. As mentioned above, you can apply for a fresh / new passport only at these centers. Similar to the process at District Passport Cells, at Speed Post Centers you can
- Buy, fill and submit passport application forms at the SPC. The form will cost Rs.20 including an envelope
- You will have to submit supporting self-attested documentation along with the duly filled and signed application form which should have the standard passport photographs attached.
- Payment of the passport fee for fresh / new passport application should be made at the SPC. Payment can be made by Demand Draft or Cash only. As in the case of the DPC, the DD should be drawn favouring PAO-MEA, payable at the RPO city. The reverse of the DD should contain your name, birth date and date of application submission.
- You will then receive a key number which can be used to check the passport office.
Applying For A Passport At Citizen Service Centers (CSC)
As with DPCs and SPCs, passport forms can be bought, filled and submitted at CSCs along with the required documentation (photocopies and originals) and photographs. The required fee can be paid to complete the process. Passport fee at CSC can be paid via Cash or Card (credit/Debit) only. On completion of the process, you will receive a reference number which can be used to track the application status.
Walk-in at PSK / Offline Application form submission at Passport Seva Kenda (PSK)
Unlike DPCs, SPCs and CSCs, application forms at PSKs can be submitted not only for new / fresh passports but other types of applications and related services as well. In some cases, an appointment is not required to at PSKs and this category of applicants are called walk-in applicants. These are -
- Tatkaal or urgent cases
- Police Clearance Certificates (PCC)
- Senior Citizens
- Cases where token was not issued due to issues with documents.
If you are a walk-in applicant, you will first have to submit your application online at the passport portal and get an ARN receipt. You will have to carry this ARN receipt and relevant documents and visit the PSK at hours specified for walk-ins.
For cases where token was not issued, walk-ins are allowed up to 3 days from the original appointment date.
Passport Application Process At Regional Passport Office
In general, you cannot apply for a passport directly at a Passport Office / Regional Passport Office, other than the specified types of applications that POs are allowed to process). However, every now and then advisories are issued by Regional Passport Offices regarding acceptance of passport applications at the Passport Office. As with other cases mentioned above, the manual application procedure is the same at the Passport Office as well.
If you apply thought the Passport Office, you will have to submit the required application form which you will either obtain from the passport website or which you can buy at the PO. Along with the form you will have to submit standard passport photographs, photocopies of requisite supporting documents and their originals for verification. The requisite passport fee will also have to be paid in the prescribed mode to complete the process.
- Dual Citizenship
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Passport Renewal, Changes, Reissue
- Change of Address in Passport
- Minor Passport
- Passport for Senior citizen
- Passport for Government Employee
- Tatkal Passport
- Student Passport
- Passport Renewal
- Passport Reissue
- Duplicate Passport
- Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Converting PIO card Into OCI card
- Fees and Charges