Australia’s advanced immigration system has been working towards lowering skill shortages. As a result, an increasing number of individuals from the world over have been applying for and obtaining work permit visas to the land down under. A temporary work visa (Subclass 457) is usually granted to employers who wish to sponsor workers abroad. It is among the most popular work visas and overseas employers as well as Australian employers may sponsor a skilled employee under the Subclass 457 visa for any duration of time between a day and four years. While the skilled worker is in Australia, he / she can also invite family members to study and/or work during their stay in the country. After an individual has entered the country through a Subclass 457 visa, he / she may enter and leave Australia as many times as they desire during the duration of their visa.
Requirements for Employers to Apply for an Employee’s Visa
In case an employer wishes to apply for his / her employee to transfer to Australia through a Subclass 457 visa, a few requirements must be met. These requirements are as follow:
- Apply to be a sponsor to recruit workers from abroad.
- Act as a sponsor for the workers applying for visas.
- Nominate the occupations that can be filled, and the workers they intend to recruit to fill said positions.
- Recruit workers from abroad to fill the nominated positions.
- Cooperate with the monitoring requirements of the Immigration Department.
Requirements for Employees Visiting Australia with a Subclass 457 Visa
The employees who are sponsored to work in Australia under the Subclass 457 visa must meet a few requirements as mentioned below:
- Accept the employer’s offer of employment.
- Make an application for a Subclass 457 visa.
- Meet all the terms and conditions on the Subclass 457 visa.
Employer Requirements for Subclass 457 Visa
Prior to the recruitment of workers from abroad under the Subclass 457 visa, an employer has to gain approval as a sponsor. To gain approval, the employer should either operate a business within Australia, or operate a business abroad with the intention to bring in workers from abroad to establish a business within Australia. Regardless of what kind of business the employer runs, he / she must attest proof of commitment to employing local labour whilst offering assurance that they do not encourage discriminatory employment practices. It is essential for business to have a clean record with regards to the business itself as well as all individuals associated with operations. It is also necessary for employers to show their commitment to meeting the country’s requirements to train Australian employees.
Employee Requirements for Subclass 457 Visa
Workers who apply for a Subclass 457 visa are required to meet some criteria, such as follow:
- Must be sponsored by an eligible employer.
- Must possess the qualifications, skills as well as experience that are required by the position.
- Must possess and demonstrate proficient in the English language.
- Must gain eligibility for any relevant licenses related to the position.
- Must meet different health requirements.
- Must possess health insurance.
- Must meet character requirements via background verification checks.
Eligibility Criteria for Subclass 457 Visa
The Subclass 457 visa is one of the easiest means through which you can get to work in Australia. However, to avail the visa, you will have to meet a few eligibility criteria which are as follow:
- The applicant not be older than 49 years of age at the time of making the application.
- The applicant must possess adequate ability in the English language to gain employment in Australia.
- The applicant must possess post-secondary qualifications and his / her skills should be assessed by the right assessing authority as considered apposite for their nominated position.
- The applicant’s nomination must be available on the Skilled Occupations List as they are nominated for a skilled position that fits their qualifications and skills.
- The applicant must have sufficient work experience and must have been employed for 12 of the past 24 months in the same field as which they were nominated for. However, individuals who have completed a study course in Australia less than six months prior to lodging their visa application are exempt from this requirement.
- Prior to lodging the visa application, the applicant must have his / her skills assessed by the appropriate assessing authority designated for the assessment of your nominated position / occupation.
If you meet all of the aforementioned requirements and furnish all of the documents as and when required, obtaining a work permit visa to Australia is as easy as it gets.
News about Work Permit Visa to Australia
Higher Taxes for Earnings on a Working Holiday Visa
People venturing to Australia on a working holiday visa will have to pay a much higher tax than the Australians even though they were saved from a big increase in taxes on their income. The Australian Government had planned to amend the tax laws which would result in working holiday visitors paying almost three times more compared to the Aussies. This was met with widespread opposition as it could greatly impact the availability of seasonal workers and decrease the number of working holiday visitors. This forced the government to make revisions to the new policy. With the revisions lessen the tax burden, working holiday makers stand to benefit from a higher take-home pay, but still pay a much higher rate than the residents.
8th June 2016