How To Get X Visa Extension In India ?

What exactly is an X Visa and how can one get their X visa extended?

Every year India witnesses over a million tourists or regular visitors alike entering the country’s borders. They may arrive for a variety of reasons: for education, employment, or to get in touch with a long lost acquaintance. In this page, we will deal with information regarding X visa and how it works.

So, let’s begin by establishing the basics of what an X visa is.

What Is An X Visa?

X Visa, also known as Entry Visa, is a form of visa provided for foreigners visiting India. According to the Government of India, an X Visa can be granted to the following people:

  • Spouse/children of a foreigner of Indian origin.
  • A person of Indian origin, who wishes to visit India for holidays and other purposes.
  • Dependents of foreigners who come to India on visas like business, student, research or employment etc.

Read More About H1b Visa Extension Process

Are There Any Specific Guidelines X Visa Holders Need To Follow?

The Government of India has come up with a number of details all foreign visitors on X Visa need know about. Here are a few important pointers:

  1. To begin with, foreigners visiting India on long term (X) visa need not register themselves with Foreign Regional Registration Offices (FRRO)/ Foreign Registration Office (FRO) as long as their visit does not exceed more than 180 days on a single visit. However, if they intend to stay in the country for more than 180 days, they should get themselves registered in one of the two aforementioned offices before the expiry of the 180 days.
  2. Foreigners visiting the country need to follow the Special Endorsement made on the visa by the Indian mission.
  3. At the time of registration, every foreigner need to provide all the information asked for by the officer. Provided the information is satisfactory, they will receive a certificate of registration in Part III of Form A.
  4. Registration facilities are only available at the FRROs or FROs (District Superintendents of Police).
  5. A applicant is required to be physically present if they are looking to get registered or solve any visa related issues.

What Are The Documents Required For An X Visa Extension?

Those looking to have their X Visa extended should meet the FRRO/FRO office with the following documents:

  • A fully filled visa extension form.
  • Recent passport size photographs.
  • A copy of passport/VISA/registration certificate.
  • Copy of valid and notarized Lease/Rent agreement OR Copy of C-Form from the Hotel OR copy of recent electricity/telephone bill along with the letter from the landlord, towards proof of residence.
  • Passport in original.
  • Copy of marriage certificate along with copy of Indian passport and Indemnity Bond.
  • Copy of birth certificate along with copy of either parents Indian passport.

Faqs On X Visa:

  1. What activities can be undertaken by an X Visa holder?

    To begin with, an X Visa holder cannot conduct any form of business in India. However, the rule is slightly different in case of minors or dependent children of Indian origin, as such children are allowed to study till their 12th standard.

  2. Can an X Visa holder apply for employment?

    Under the statutes established by the Government of India, an X Visa holder can only indulge in travel and cannot apply for any form of employment.

  3. Can an X Visa be provided for foreign parents of foreign students in India?

    No. For foreign parents of foreign students to visit India, they need to get a Tourist (T) visa, which will be valid for a period of 6 months.

These are all the basic things you need to know about Entry Visa (X Visa) in the country.


About Visa
Visa FAQs
Types of Visa
About H1B Visa
Top Countries Based Visa
Other Articles

Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.