From the modern, debonair capital cities to rustic rural towns, Australia is an incredible country to explore. However, talking about education in specific, Australia is reported to be one of the most preferred destinations. The process to apply for a study visa in Australia for Indian students is simple once the requirements are meta.
There are different types of student visas for Indian students who wish to pursue their studies in Australia. Every visa type varies and depends on the education the candidate is willing to undertake. For better understanding, the entire process is explained in different sections below.
Steps To Apply for Study Visa In Australia For Indian Students
Before applying for a student visa for a country like Australia, it is important to be acquainted with the guidelines, requirements, and the entire procedure first so that the process does not seem complicated.
Any student from India, who desires to study in Australia, requires a student visa (subclass 500). This visa type is specifically designed for students who are completely prepared to continue their higher education in Australia.
Apply At An Australian Institute And Get The CoE
The foremost step before applying for an Australian student visa is to enroll or register at a good Australian school or institute. Upon doing this, the applicant receives an offer letter from the institute stating that the tuition deposit fee is paid and they have accepted the applicant’s registration.
The institute will then send a CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment), which is an important document to start the visa application process. If the applicant takes several study programs, then he/she requires CoE for every program.
Create An Account With The Immigration Authorities Of Australia
An Australian visa can be easily applied online but before starting the visa application process, an applicant has to visit https://online.immi.gov.au/lusc/register and create an account there.
The web portal asks the applicant to submit his/her name, e-mail address, and phone number. After filling all the required details, the applicant is redirected to a new page asking to accept all their conditions and to create a strong password.
Study Visa Requirements For Australia
A student is required to submit his/her visa application 12 weeks prior to the date of orientation at the respective institution. The requirements for the Australia student visa application are as follows:
- Electronic CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment the institution provides)
- OSHC health insurance
- A valid passport
- Proofs for a temporary stay – With the application, a candidate has to verify that his/her stay in Australia is only temporary and not permanent. A letter from the respective school/institute in the home country serves as a proof document here.
- A visa fee
- A visa application form
- 4 passport-sized photos
Based on the region a candidate applies from and the institute he/she is going to study at, a few other additional documents will be required, which are:
- Birth certificate of the applicant
- Bank statements that serve as evidence of financial ability (living expenses, tuition fees, return airfare, and other expenses)
- Proof that the applicant has adequate knowledge to pass his/her intended studies. This usually includes the IELTS test results and certified grade report
- Proof of earlier employment like pay checks, employment contract etc.
- Documents of criminal offense if an applicant has been convicted earlier
Note: Ensure that all the required documents are in digital format and are handy. If any of the documents are in regional language, they have to be translated into English via a certified translator.
Complete The Visa Application Process Online
An applicant should apply for a student visa subclass500 by visiting the online portal: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/500-. The process has to be made at least 124 days prior to the course starts (this date is mentioned on the CoE).
On the first webpage, the applicant fills his/her nationality and the CoE code(s), which is then followed by choosing the education sector. The applicant has to then submit his/her family details, personal details, answers regarding the previous education or work experience, health records, and criminal records if any.
Submission Of The Visa Application
Once the visa application has been submitted successfully, an applicant has to pay the visa fee of 550 AUD. The Australian government will then allocate a TRN (Transaction Reference Number) for the application, with which the status can be tracked online.
Health Check-up Followed By An Interview
Based on the study program that has been chosen and region the applicant is going to study at, he/she will be required to do a complete health check-up. This information will be received after the visa application has been submitted.
Therefore, do not perform any health check-up in prior because a TRN number is necessary to complete the procedure. The applicant has to take up a medical examination by a certified doctor to have the forms completed.
Visa Processing Time
As soon as the candidate enrols in the university and his/her application has been accepted, the process of applying for Australian study visa (subclass 500) can be commenced. The process of visa application takes some time. Also, it is important to apply for a university at least a few months before the degree program starts. It takes approximately 37 days for the university to decide.
The visa processing time depends on several factors like:
- Whether the applicant has submitted all the necessary documents at the time of application process
- How promptly and effectively the applicant responds to the requests raised for additional information
- The time to complete other essential checks on the information that is provided to support the application
- The time to acquire additional details from areas other than the official department – specifically related to character, national security, and health
- The number of places vacant in the Migration Program
- The decision to refuse or grant the visa application is based on the documentation and information the applicant provides at the time of submitting the application
The decision of visa approval or disapproval depends on two factors:
- How busy are the immigration authorities of Australia?
- Where is the applicant applying from?
Usually, the visa decision is received within 1 – 5 weeks. The status of the visa application can be easily tracked directly on the immigration website. The Australian immigration representatives will notify about the decision via e-mail.
Travel To The Australian Institute
Once the applicant receives the visa, he/she has to reach to the specific institute at least 90 days before the course commences. If the accommodation has not been booked, inform the institute at least 7 days before reaching there.
Even after the course completes, an applicant has the right to stay in Australia for 30 days or 60 days if the course period exceeds 10 months. The date limit will be written on the visa, which has to be followed strictly.