MHIP Day is celebrated on 6 July every year in the state of Mizoram and is a public holiday. It is a commemoration of the founding of the Mizo Hmeichhe Insuihkhawm Pawl, which is the state’s largest women’s organisation. The name means ‘'binding women together’'.
The organisation was founded in the year 1974, at a time when the state of Mizoram was still a union territory in India. The MHIP operates as a philanthropic Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO). It comprises of volunteers from different walks of life, all of whom are women. It is not only the largest NGO in the state, it is also the only one that is solely dedicated to the welfare and upliftment of women.
The MHIP is headquartered in the capital of Mizoram, Aizawl. It works to end traditional patriarchal customs and traditions that result in the oppression of women. It works for the welfare of women irrespective of caste, creed, or economic background.
MHIP Festival Date 2021
|6 July 2021||Monday||Mizoram|
Trending Holidays in July 2021
MHIP Day is celebrated across the state with special functions presided over by government officials as well as leaders and members of the organisation. The day is also observed by engaging in several community services such as cleaning up the environment. Government offices and educational institutions remain closed on this day since the government declared it a public holiday. This serves to expand awareness and recognition about the organisation and its activities among every single resident of the state.
List of Monthly Holidays 2021
Objectives of MHIP
Some of the objectives of MHIP are as given below:
- Fighting against atrocities against women: Due to the ceaseless efforts of the organisation, carried out through protests and marches, there has been successful convictions in the case of rapes and murders of women in the state.
- Protection of destitute women: Women who are abandoned by their families are taken in the by organisation and offered rehabilitation to be financially independent in their lives. Efforts are also made to uproot the causes behind women being recklessly abandoned by their families due to the patriarchal nature of the society in Mizoram.
- Family counseling: The organisation provides family counseling, whether it is a case of marital conflict, alcohol or drug abuse, or neglect of the child. This is done through all the branches in the state. This helps to improve the standard of living of everyone in the family and thereby in the community at large as well.
- Financial support: Whenever a family or individual is in need of dire medical treatment or other financial support that is denied to them or not available to them through other sources, MHIP steps in to bridge the gap and ensure that the needs of deserving women and children are met.
- Community support and job creation: Community support and job creation is provided for women in the state through several initiatives, such as vocational training courses, setting up of angandwadis, balwadis, and creches, working women’s hostels, short-term courses, piggery units, etc.
- Christmas visits and gifts: Every year, during the Christmas season, members of the organisation visit specified organisations and institutions with gift packages for the patients and inmates. These institutions range from hospitals and children’s homes to jails, de-addiction centres, orphanages, and destitute homes.
With more than 700 branches now spread across the state, the MHIP has succeeded in setting a strong foundation for a brighter future for all women in the state of Mizoram since its inception in 1974.
List of Trading Holidays 2021