The Jainism community has a limited number of festivals to celebrate. Mahavir Jayanti is a chief festival for the community. The festival denotes the birth of Lord Mahavir and it carries a greater quantum of heritage significance. The date of the festival of Mahavir Jayanti varies, unlike public holidays.
In other words, the date of the festival is not constant according to the Gregorian calendar. Usually, the festival falls in March. If not, the festival is observed in April every year. The experiences of Lord Mahavir are celebrated by the community of Jain during the festival. The day also signifies humbleness and merriment.
Mahavir Jayanti 2019
For the year 2019, Mahavir Jayanti is celebrated on 17 April. The Indian states that celebrate the festival include Karnataka, Rajasthan, Delhi, Haryana, Delhi, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh and Punjab.
Forthcoming Dates For The Festival Of Mahavir Jayanti 2020-2025
- For the year 2020, Mahavir Jayanti is celebrated on 6 April, which falls on Monday.
- For the year 2021, the festival is celebrated on 25 April, which falls on Sunday.
- For the year 2022, the festival falls on 14 April. The day is Thursday.
- For the year 2023, the date for the festival is 4 April, which falls on Tuesday.
- For the year 2024, the festival is celebrated on Sunday, which falls on 21 April.
- For the year 2025, the festival of Mahavir Jayanti is celebrated on 10 April, which falls on Thursday.
Festivities Of Mahavir Jayanti Holiday 2019
The Jain community takes part in several festivities, which permit them to pledge with families and friends. Lord Mahavir is respected and worshipped by this community. The demonstration of an idol of Lord Mahavir is the most important festivity of the festival. The effigy of Mahavir is washed by the people with fragranced oil and this will denote the purity of the Lord.
Devotees across India and the globe will visit Jain temples in the country. Antique ancient spots, which are connected to the community of Jainism, are visited by people. One of the renowned destinations to visit during the festival is Gomateshwara. It is quite interesting to notice that many Jains bestow money or food to temples. The festivities will remain the same.
Public Life During Mahavir Jayanti Holiday 2019
In India, Mahavir Jayanti is a gazetted holiday. State, local and national level government workplaces will remain closed. The shops and commercial outlets owned by the community of Jains will also remain closed. If not, they may have shortened functioning hours.
5 Spiritual Destinations To Visit During Mahavir Jayanti Holiday 2019
Consider the following Indian destinations to visit during this festival:
- Madhuban: Madhuban, sited in Jharkhand, is the divinest destination for Jains.
- Girnarji: Girnarji is a place located in the Indian state of Gujarat.
- Gomateshwara: Gomateshwara is the most attractive destination in Karnataka to visit during this festival every year.
- Mangi Tungi: Mungi Tungi is another renowned Indian place of adoration for Jains in Maharashtra.
- Gajpantha: This is also the best place in Maharashtra. It has a beautiful temple. Devotees have to climb not less than 460 steps to reach.
Mahavir Jayanti 2018
For the year 2018, the festival of Mahavir Jayanti falls on 29 March. The festival is celebrated by a majority of Indian states, including Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Punjab, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Haryana, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.