Barclays is a British cosmopolitan banking and financial institution and has its headquarters in London. With business operations, dealerships, investment banking, and wealth management, Barclays has earned itself a strong global presence. The bank offers its customers Barclays Visa Electron Debit Card to access their funds in their current or savings account throughout the day anywhere.
From financing the first industrialized steam railway in the 17th century, to launching the first ATM in 1967, Barclays boasts of a range of firsts-in-the-world to its credit ever since its inception. In India, Barclays plc is one of the biggest UK-based bank with more than 12,000 staffs as well as cutting-edge technology to balance it out. Make use of your Barclays Debit Card to pay off your shopping bills at over millions of stores across the world and online as well as withdraw cash from any Visa Electron supported ATM.
Key Features of Barclays Debit Card:
i. Settling supermarket and other shopping bills:
You can swipe your Barclays Debit Card to disburse cash for goods and services at any place where Visa Electron is recognized. It is advised that you check this first before shopping. Make sure that you verify that the sum entered on the terminal matches with your bill before punching in your PIN or signing the transaction slip. You may splurge up to the existing balance in your bank account. If you want to spend more than that, there has to be an overdraft agreement between you and the bank up to a specific amount.
ii.Online shopping – Pay Quick & Easy!
You can utilize your Barclays Debit Card to pay for products and facilities you procure at any online mercantile where payment via Visa Electron is valid. Don’t forget to do a slight background check on the website just to make sure that it is highly regarded and safe. You can also verify if the web address alters from http to https before you feed your debit card details. This shows that all the info you are putting in and its transmission is encoded for better safety.
iii.To get the best out of your card even while abroad:
As an internationally accepted debit card, it has over 2.4 crores locations all across the world. Also, the exchange rate that is pragmatic to most overseas currency disbursements made on your Barclays Debit Card is the comprehensive market rate followed by Visa. So far the conversion is made plus 3 percent of the transformed sum. International ATM cash withdrawals are viewed just like an overseas currency purchase and will also sustain a commission of 3 percent above the new amount.
iv.Inculcate financial discipline with the help of your Barclays Debit Card:
No matter when or where you spend by using your debit card, you will receive instant notification via email and SMS. You can also request for monthly statements. Barclays keep close watch on transactions in case of suspicious spending patterns or to safeguard you against your debit card being utilized duplicitously. Hence it is imperative that you keep the bank updated with your current contact details.
- Tight security measures as card is chip enabled.
- Global access to bank account.
- More withdrawal and spending limits compared to other banks (up to INR 50,000).
- Easy shopping at any Visa Electron store locally, internationally or online.
- Get complete VISA Global Customer Assistance Service (GCAS) while abroad.
- Lost card accountability cover of up to INR 50,000.
- Put your signature on the given panel at the back of your debit card the minute you get it.
- Keep the card away from direct sun to safeguard its magnetic strip from damage.
- After shopping, enter the PIN yourself and do not tell it to the cashier.
- Keep a duplicate copy of your card.
- Notify the bank at the earliest if your card is lost or stolen.
- Keep your charge slips for tallying later.
- Put in a request for SMS and email alerts at the time of issuance.
- Never write your PIN down anywhere. Memorize it.
- Do not leave your debit card unattended or surrender it to anyone but a chosen Bank Staff.
- Do not let the card be swiped in your absence
- Never sign an untallied transaction slip.
- Do not try to swipe card at if it is not a VISA Electron PoS.
What do you mean by Verified-by-Visa (VBV)?
Verified by Visa is an innovative technique for added security when you transfer money online. If you add a password to your existing card, VBV makes sure that only you can pay with your Visa card online with security codes and encryption.
How does Verified-By-Visa work?
Verified by Visa endows you with a secret password to ensure that all your online fund transfers and payments are carried out in the safest possible way.
How do you handle online transactions using VBV method?
It can be done in the following steps:
- Select the products and/or services you want to purchase from any web portal.
- Go to the payment or checkout page.
- Enter debit card details in the given columns and the store will connect with the bank to take the order and its payment forward.
Should I register myself separately for this service?
No, it is not mandatory that you register for this. It is usually initiated on every Barclays debit card automatically. But when you use your card for the first time for net banking, you will be sent a registration code on your phone. Using this code, you can create a new password for all your future online dealings.
- Debit Cards Vs Credit Cards
- Debit Cards for Fuel
- Debit Cards for Online Shopping
- Prepaid Cards for International Travel
- Debit Cards for Movie Tickets
- Debit Cards for Students
- International Debit Cards
- Debit Cards for Shopping
- Debit Cards for Restaurants
- Debit Cards for EMI
- New ATM Transaction Charges
GST of 18% is applicable on all banking products and services from July 1, 2017 onwards.