Predominantly observed by the Christians spread all across the globe, it is considered as more of a mourning day remembering the crucifixion of Jesus. In Germany, the day is observed as Karfreitag or 'Sorrowful Friday' in German. Similarly, in Spain, Good Friday is observed as Viernes Santo or 'Holy or Sacred Friday'. In year 2020, Good Friday will be observed on the 10th of April.
When Is Good Friday 2020 celebrated
|Day||Holiday||Week number||Holiday type|
|Friday, 10 April 2020||Good Friday 2020||15||Gazetted Holiday|
Other Holidays in April 2020 in India
The history behind Good Friday
Good Friday is held in remembrance of the crucifixion of Jesus. It is widely believed among the Christians that on this day Jesus was crucified. The resurrection of Jesus, three days later after the crucifixion, is observed as Easter.
In Christianity, it’s believed that the day Jesus died, he carried the sins of the world along with him and because of his sacrifice people are redeemed and can reach heaven after death. The crucifixion and death of Jesus symbolises his sacrifice and forgiveness for all the sins committed by humans.
List of Monthly Holidays 2020
How Good Friday is celebrated
The biggest remembrance takes place in the Vatican City where people flock to witness the Pope reciting the way of the cross outside the Colosseum for Catholics from all across the world. A massive cross with torches burns in the sky and believers hold their own candles.
Catholics observe the day by fasting and offering prayers in the Churches. Services are held in the afternoon—the time when Jesus was crucified on the cross. Christians honour Jesus by remembering his sacrifices and the pain he went through during the last hours for the good of all mankind. Some churches also observe the Veneration of the Cross. It’s a small ritual where Christians kneel before the cross to affirm their faith.
Every year in London, on Good Friday a passion play depicting the crucifixion in Trafalgar Square is held. Thousands of people gather to watch the 90-minute play, which is open to public and completely free. In Bermuda, people engage in flying kites that resemble Jesus’s journey or ascension to heaven.
Some Churches, especially those in Mexico and Belgium are covered in black or dark colours. In Jerusalem, which is considered as the birthplace of Jesus, Christians follow the same path that led to Jesus’s crucifixion carrying a cross (sometimes of the same weight) similar to the one that Jesus carried. In Ireland, it’s prohibited to sell alcohol on this day.
In India, people of Christian faith go to churches to offer respect to the Lord. The day is observed as a national holiday for most government offices, IT firms, stock markets, and banks. It’s also a public holiday for people residing in in Daman and Diu, as well as Dadra and Nagar Haveli as per the Bombay High Court’s directive. Parades are held in some places in remembrance of Jesus. Christianity-based religious programmes are common.
Good Friday is more of a sombre day in the entire “Holy Week” and is not celebrated with fairs and events. It’s a day where the Christians gather to remember and honour Jesus’ sacrifice.
Festivities Of Good Friday
- People cover statues, crosses and pictures with black clothes.
- Attend the church and offer prayers.
- Every Christian takes part in the Holy Communion.
- People sing hymns and prayers.
List of Trading Holidays 2020
Symbols Of Good Friday
Good Friday is celebrated in memory of Jesus Christ’s death, passion and crucifixion. The most important symbol of Good Friday is the crucifix, which represents the way in which Jesus Christ died. A few crosses bear a figure of Jesus Christ. Other symbols of Good Friday comprise of black cloth utlised to cover crosses, paintings and statues in churches. Besides, a few people create a plain appearance in churches and houses by removing all flowers.
Good Friday 2021-2026
|Day||Holiday||Week number||Holiday type|
|Friday, 02 April 2021||Good Friday 2021||13||Gazetted Holiday|
|Friday, 15 April 2022||Good Friday 2022||15||Gazetted Holiday|
|Friday, 07 April 2023||Good Friday 2023||14||Gazetted Holiday|
|Friday, 29 March 2024||Good Friday 2024||13||Gazetted Holiday|
|Friday, 18 April 2025||Good Friday 2025||16||Gazetted Holiday|
|Friday, 03 April 2026||Good Friday 2026||14||Gazetted Holiday|
Best destinations In India To Spend Good Friday holidays 2020
- Goa: Goa represents a very rich Christian culture with many churches. As you can anticipate, Easter is a big deal in the paradise of beach with processions conducted by every single church.
- Mumbai: Mumbai, the capital city of Maharashtra, has more low-key celebrations. The churches in the city hold prayers and mass to honor the festival of Easter.
- Aizwal: Aizwal is the capital city of Mizoram. The city has a vast number of Christians. Churches in the city organise special prayers and worship on the day.
- Kochi: Churches in the city of Kochi conduct services to honor the rebirth of Jesus Christ. Shops shall offer Easter bunnies and goodies while hotels shall offer special Easter Sunday meals.
- Vizag: The Anglo-Indian community in the city of Vizag, a port city, celebrate the rebirth of Jesus Christ. Community hotspots such as Gyanapuram and Soldierpet are the best places to visit.
Holiday Destinations In India