Losing a debit card or it being stolen can be a scary situation to be in. Most customers when faced with such situations are in a fix as to what to do next. For those who are new to banking procedures, the first thing that a customer needs to do if his/her debit card is lost or stolen is to make sure that the card is blocked. This is to prevent anyone from misusing your card, and by blocking one’s card, no further transactions or withdrawals can be made. Once the card has been blocked, the customer has to then take the necessary steps to ask the bank to give him/her a replacement card. For this, Axis Bank gives their customers the privilege of doing both the tasks simultaneously. Using the internet banking facility and the mobile app of Axis Bank, customers can block and re-apply for a new Axis Bank debit card. In addition, Axis Bank customers can also choose to upgrade their debit card in a few steps. For customers that do not have an internet banking account or the mobile app of Axis Bank, they can call the customer care unit of Axis Bank but will have to visit the bank for a replacement. For customers that wish to re-apply for an Axis Bank debit card, they have to follow the steps mentioned below to re-apply for a debit card via the internet banking facility and mobile app of Axis Bank.
Steps to re-apply for lost Axis Bank debit card via the Axis Bank internet banking facility
Customers that have lost their debit card have to follow the steps mentioned below to re-apply for a debit card through the Axis Bank internet banking facility.
- Use your username and password to login to your personal internet banking account.
- Click on “my accounts” on the internet banking homepage.
- Choose the “my debit cards” option.
- The page will now display the list of debit cards you hold with Axis Bank (provided you have multiple debit cards). Choose the debit card you wish to block.
- As soon as you have selected the debit card you want to block, click on “block/replace” button.
- If you want to upgrade your debit card - to give you higher withdrawals and spending limit as well as better offers - click on the “upgrade” button.
- If you have clicked on the “upgrade button”, choose the debit card you wish to apply for.
- At this point, the bank will send you an OTP (One-time password).
- Enter the OTP.
- Click on “submit” to confirm your application for a new Axis Bank debit card and block your lost debit card.
Steps to re-apply for lost Axis Bank debit card via the Axis Bank mobile app
For customers that have the Axis Bank mobile app, they can use it to re-apply for a new debit card as well as block their lost debit card by following the steps mentioned below:
- Login into the Axis Mobile App using your banking credentials.
- On the mainpage of the app, click on the“banking” option.
- Once you have done that, choose the “services” tab.
- Click on the “debit card” option.
- You will now be given a list of options related to debit cards, choose the “block and replace” option.
- The bank will now display the list of debit cards you hold with them. Choose the card you wish to block.
- Click on the “block and replace” button to firstly disable your lost card and to secondly re-apply for a new debit card.
- Click on the “upgrade” option if you wish to re-apply for an Axis Bank card with enhanced features and benefits. Choose from the list of cards if you do click on the “upgrade” option.
- Click on “submit” to conclude the procedure. Axis Bank will send you a replacement card in a few days to your home address.
Customers that have lost their debit card and do not have either the internet banking facility or the mobile app of Axis Bank can call the customer care unit at 022-67987700 to block the lost debit card. Once the debit card is blocked, the customer has to visit their home bank branch of
Axis Bank to re-apply for a new debit card.
1. How soon will my card be blocked once I finish the process of blocking/replacing using the internet banking and mobile banking facility of Axis Bank?
As soon as you are done with the procedure, your Axis Bank ATM debit card will be blocked. You can’t use the debit card for transactions and withdrawals using the debit card number online.
2. I hold a joint account, if I block one card will both debit cards of the primary and secondary account holder be blocked as well?
When blocking your debit card, you will be required to choose the particular debit card you wish to be blocked and not all your debit cards that you hold with Axis Bank or for a joint account will be blocked. Even if you block one card, the other cards will remain active.
3. Is the Switch ON Switch OFF mode available for all debit cards. Can you explain what this is?
Yes, provided you have the mobile app of Axis Bank, you can switch on and switch off any debit card. Basically, if you are not using your debit to make a transaction or withdrawal, you can put it on the SWITCH OFF mode. This is to prevent anyone such as fraudsters and so on to use your debit card without your knowledge to extract money from your account. When your debit card is switched off, the card is disabled and no transactions can take place.
4. Will I receive an intimation message from Axis Bank when my card is blocked?
Yes, the bank will intimate you for every activity or transaction involving your debit card, including blocking your card and making an application for a new debit card. The bank will inform you when your replacement card has been dispatched.
5. Will the replaced card already be active? Can I make transactions right away?
On receiving your debit card, you have to first activate it and then carry on with making transactions or withdrawals. You can activate your card via your internet banking account, through the mobile app or by calling the customer care service of Axis Bank.
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.