Apply Pan Card For Minors

There is a way to avail PAN card for minors. Applying a PAN card for minors can only be done through a parent or a guardian and cannot be done by the child directly. Similar to the other applications, the PAN application can also be applied online.


Legally, anyone aged below 18 is considered a minor. Though children are usually dependent on their parents or guardians financially, there are many instances in which children have a steady income. Common cases are fixed deposits, term insurance or any other investment started in the child’s name, while not-so-common instances are child prodigies who make it big in any field like entertainment, business at quite a young age. So do these kids are expected to pay tax like an adult? Let us explore this point in detail.

Now any earnings that grows or is funded to a child is combined with that of the parent/ guardian as specified under section 64 (1-A), which translates to treating the clubbed amount as taxable. So if anybody has advised you to save on taxations by putting some amount in the name of your kid(s) is delusional. Since the child too is a tax payer, he/ she is entitled to have a PAN Card in his/ her name. Of course it can only be applied though parent/ guardian not by the child directly. Yes, here is a straightforward system that helps you to apply for a minor without any trouble.

How to Apply for PAN Card for a Minor In India?

Like any other application for government IDs such as driving license, voter’s ID etc., PAN Card too can be applied online from the official websites of NDSL or UTITSL or in person by visiting their offices. If your child/ ward is made candidate in any investment schemes like shares, properties, mutual funds, fixed deposits etc., having a PAN Card is compulsory.

If you look at it closely, there is no difference in PAN Card application procedures for minors or adults. There is no separate procedure or form to apply for minor pan card, which is as follows.

  • Visit the NSDL or UTITSL sites.
  • Choose the concerned category
  • Carefully fill in the required information exactly as per the instructions given.
  • Put in range code and area code where asked. There is a link given near the column to refer these codes if you don’t know.
  • Once every info is entered, click on submit. You also have the option to edit if required.
  • Once the submission is confirmed, you will see an acknowledgment pop-up, which has to be saved in your PC or email. Also, don’t forget to take a print out.
  • You can pay online using credit/ debit card and networking or by Demand Draft. Post submission, attach your color photo and sign the acknowledgement payment printed out if paid online.
  • The signed acknowledgement slip with your photo and other documents should be sent to the given address.

Documentation required to apply for PAN Card for Minors

You can submit the copy of any of the following photo and signature bearing docs:

SL No Of the Parent/ Guardian Of the Minor
1 Aadhaar Card issued by UIAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) Proof of Age: Birth Certificate SSLC Book (if applicable)
2 Voter’s ID Two passport photos of the child
3 Driving License Proof of Residence: The parent or guardian’s address proof would suffice.
4 A Valid Passport Aadhaar Number of the minor must be specified in the given column in the form.
5 Ration Card  

More Details

i. Income Tax Act, 1961: According to the Indian Income Tax law, any money earned by a child for any work involving application of expertise, knowledge, experience, etc. cannot be grouped with money made by the parent or guardian unlike how it is with investments made in the child’s name. But it can be added to the income of that parent with more per capita income. A PAN card allotted in the name of a child does not have the child’s picture or even signature, and hence cannot be utilized as a valid ID proof. After the underage PAN Card owner becomes 18, the pertinent changes should be made in his/ her PAN records and a new one will be given with photo and signature.

ii. Application: The minor PAN Card holder, after turning 18, must apply for carefully fill up the form by the name, "Request for new PAN card and/or changes or correction in PAN data". You can do this online by visiting NSDL's official website on tax info and selecting the PAN application option.

iii. Information: The minor PAN Card holder should specify the current number in the application form and tick in the 'signature mismatch' and 'photo mismatch' columns and submit the form online. Please take a print out of this, affix two passport sized photos and sign it before submitting at the nearest office.

iv. Paperwork: Proof if ID and residence in the form of a copy of any of the documents mentioned above. You can also give the recent bank statement.

v. Fee: A nominal charge of INR 107 must be shelled out either through internet banking or by credit or debit card. You can also give a demand draft for the same amount drawn in favor of NSDL-PAN along with the application form.

vi. Procedure: After you submit the aforementioned online form, you will be sent a unique acknowledgement or reference number. Download the completed form along with the acknowledgment slip and drop it to the closest NSDL or UTISL-approved office by post or in person.

Points to Remember:

  • You may easily check your application status by citing the unique acknowledgment number.
  • If required, you shall also make other modifications to the PAN info provided (such as name or address etc.) simultaneously by providing the pertinent papers.
  • You must make sure that the residence proof, identity proof etc. is attached to the form are valid. 
  • Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.

    This Page is BLOCKED as it is using Iframes.