A PAN (Permanent Account Number) card is a non-transferable identity card issued by the Protean eGov Technologies Limited behalf of the Government of India. The card is required for all individuals who file tax returns or apply for a tax refund.
An individual can also use his/her PAN card as a proof of identity and proof of age. Being a government-issued card, it is accepted as ID proof for everything from buying a vehicle to applying for a loan.
It is generally adults over the age of 18 years who apply for a PAN card. However, a PAN card can also be applied for by a student.
How to Apply for Student PAN Card
Applying for a PAN card as a student can be done both offline as well as online. There is no specific form or process for a student PAN card application.
Depending on your age at the time of application, you would have to apply for a Minor PAN card or a regular PAN card.
The application process is mentioned in details below:
Student PAN Card Offline PAN Card Application
- Collect a copy of Form 49A or download a copy of the form from the Protean eGov Technologies Limited or UTIITSL website.
- Depending on your age at the time of application, tick the option for a Minor PAN card as provided in the form.
- Submit the documents required as mentioned in the form and submit both, the documents, application fee as well as the filled-in and signed form to the nearest TIN facilitation office.
- You will receive an pan acknowledgement and will receive your PAN card by post to the address provided in the form once the application has been verified and processed.
Online Student PAN Card Application through Protean eGov Technologies Limited website
Students who are applying for a PAN card online through the Protean eGov Technologies Limited website can follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the Protean eGov Technologies Limited TIN website and click on the “Online PAN Application” tab on the homepage.
- Select the type of application form from the options presented in the drop down menu.
- For Indian citizens residing in India, select Form 49A.
- Read the form filling instructions carefully, and select the appropriate category (Individual, Trust, Firm, Company etc) from the options given at the bottom of the screen.
- Fill in the online form with the details required, such as full name, address, date of birth, Aadhaar number (if applicable) etc.
- Attach the required documents and submit the form online. If you are unable to, send the documents by post along with the acknowledgement.
- An automatic acknowledgement number will be generated containing a tracking reference number. This can be used to track the pan status online.
- Print this page and paste the photographs in the space provided, sign the form where indicated and post it to the Protean eGov Technologies Limited address mentioned on the acknowledgement.
- On successful verification of the application, the PAN card will be sent by post to the address mentioned in the form.
Online PAN Application through UTIITSL Website for Students
Students applying for a PAN card through the UTIITSL website can follow the steps listed below:
- Visit the UTIITSL website and select the application category from the options provided at the side of the screen.
- Select “Apply for a New PAN Card” from the options provided.
- Fill in the details such as full name, contact details, email address and telephone number on the online form after reading the instructions carefully.
- On entering all the relevant information, click “Submit”, whereupon an acknowledgement will be auto generated.
- Print this page and post it to the UTIITSL office address. Ensure you have pasted two photographs, attached the documents to be submitted and signed the form where indicated.
- If you have not paid by online banking services, also include the DD/cheque On successful verification of the information submitted, the PAN card will be sent by post to the address given in the application form.
Other Types of Pan Card
Documents to Be Submitted for PAN Card Application for Students
The documents to be submitted when applying for a Student PAN card are given below:
- Passport-sized photograph (2)
- Proof of Identity documents:
Any one of the following documents can be submitted as proof of identity for a student PAN card application:
- Passport copy
- Aadhaar card copy
- Driving Licence copy
- Voter’s ID card copy
- Ration card copy (with photograph)
- Original identity certificate attested by a Gazetted Officer or MLA
- Bank certificate duly signed by the Branch Manager
Any one of the following documents can be submitted as proof of address for a student PAN card application:
- Passport copy
- Aadhaar card copy
- Bank account statement (not older than 3 months)
- Driving licence copy
- Electricity Bill/gas connection Bill/telephone bill (not older than 3 months)
- Voter ID card copy
- Post office pass book containing the applicant’s address (copy)
- Government-issued Domicile Certificate copy
- Credit card statement (not older than 3 months)
- Original Certificate of Address attested by a Gazetted Officer or MLA
- Central/State Government-issued Letter of Allotment Accommodation (not older than 3 years)
Get More Information About Pan Card:
Advantages of Applying for Student PAN Card
Applying for a PAN card as a student has certain advantages, which are listed below:
- Identity Proof: A PAN card serves as proof of identity that is universally accepted by government as well as private institutions.
- For Loans: If you wish to avail of a loan, such as a student loan, you are required to submit your PAN card details.
- Lifelong Validity: A PAN card is valid till the individual’s demise, and the unique number issued will not change. This document makes it convenient for the individual to link all financial or other transactions to one single identity card.