PAN Card contains a ten digit alphanumeric number (Permanent Account Number) and is issued by the Income Tax Department of India to citizens of India. Apart from serving as a valid document of identity proof, PAN Card is imperative while making any monetary transactions, sale and purchase, applying for Visa, and many more. Thus, it would be an exasperating experience for one if they lose their PAN Card or if it gets stolen. In such cases, individual can apply for a duplicate PAN either online or offline.
If one wants to submit a request for a Duplicate PAN card, they can do so by keeping in mind the following steps.
Step 1. In case of loss or theft of one’s PAN card, they must immediately lodge a complaint to their nearest police station and avail an acknowledgement or complaint copy of the FIR. Lodging a complaint to the police and getting a copy of the same would ensure that the PAN Card should not be used fraudulently by anyone. It will also save you from being identified as the one responsible
Step 2. The individual would then have to visit the PAN or NSDL TIN Facilitation Centre nearest to their location and request the contact person for form 49A. The individual should carry a request letter addressed to the IT Department for a new PAN card, one passport size coloured photo, identity proof, address proof, and the copy of FIR to submit along with the form.
Step 3. After that, the applicant would be required to fill in the form very carefully since any mistake or wrong information will lead to the cancellation of the form. Then the individual has to paste the passport size photo of self in the top right-hand corner of the form and sign the photo.
Step 4. After filling the application, one has to attach a DD or Cheque for the payment along with afore-mentioned documents and submit it to the PAN/NSDL office. One must write ‘Application for PAN change request’ on top of the envelope. Alternatively, the applicant can also send it to the PAN head-office address (mentioned below) by post:
National Securities Depository Limited,
3rd Floor, Sapphire Chambers,
Near Baner Telephone Exchange, Baner,
Pune – 411045.
The duplicate PAN would reach the address provided by the applicant within two to three weeks.
Procedure for Lost Pan Card / Request for new PAN card for existing PAN
The Tax Information Network, a subsidiary of the Income Tax Department receives numerous cases of lost PANs on a regular basis, and it has revamped the entire process, facilitating online exchange of information to speed things up. Individuals who have lost their PAN or require a PAN card for their existing pan card number can log on to the official website of TIN-NSDL or UTITSL and navigate to the Lost PAN/request for new PAN section. They are then expected to fill up an lost pan card application form, providing information like their lost pan card number, name, and date of birth, father’s name, address, contact details and the necessary ID proofs.
The Income Tax department will scrutinize the lost pan card application form and issue a duplicate PAN card if all the information is accurate and factual. Both Indian Residents and foreigners can use this service to apply for a duplicate PAN card in case they lose their original one.
Individuals who wish to apply manually can do so by downloading the lost pan card application form from the official website, filling it and submitting it to the TIN Facilitation cum PAN centres closest to them. These centres are present across the country, in almost all towns and cities.
How to apply for lost Pan Card Online
There are adequate provisions in place to cover loss of PAN card, with an option to reprint a card provided by the government. So if you have lost your PAN card and aren’t sure as to what needs to be done next, here are a few simple steps which you need to follow to get a reprinted card.
- Log onto the official website of TIN-NSDL and navigate to the section on online application for PAN.
- Once here, choose the option “Reprint of PAN card.” This option can be chosen if your PAN Card was stolen, lost or misplaced.
- On clicking the aforementioned link, you will be directed to a different page, where you need to click on the “Online Application for changes/correction in PAN data” link.
- Clicking the aforementioned link will take you to a page which highlights the guidelines as to what needs to be done next. Post reading these guidelines one can choose the type of PAN they lost (individual, company, firm, HUF, etc.).
- They will now be required to fill up a lost pan card application form, providing details like their lost pan number, name, communication address, telephone number, email id, etc. Documents like photographs and ID proof need to be submitted along with the lost pan card application form, with an applicant expected to sign it before submission.
- The lost pan card application form can be submitted either online or posted to NSDL, along with necessary documents.
- Payment of Rs 107 (if the communication address is within the country) or Rs 989 (if the communication address is outside India) should be made, either though credit / debit card, net banking or demand draft.
- On successful payment an acknowledgment number will be generated which can be used for further correspondence.
- A duplicate PAN with the same pan card number will be delivered to the address in about two weeks.
I Lost My Pan Card, How Can I Get New One ?
A PAN card is used as an ID proof by many establishments in the country, thereby increasing its importance in our daily life. Losing it can lead to problems and confusions, especially if we do not remember our Permanent Account Number. Individuals who do lose their PAN need not fret, for they can apply for a duplicate one online, ensuring that they can get back to their normal usage of the card without extended formalities or time delays.
Points to Remember After Your Pan Card Lost
Losing something which is important can lead to tense situations, but losing a PAN shouldn’t be a hassle, provided you remember the following points.
- Stay calm – The most important thing to do after losing a card is to stay calm and composed.
- Use the facilities – One should remember that there are adequate measures in place to handle such situations.
- Correct information – The information provided while filling the form should be error free, as any errors can reflect in the new card. The lost pan card number should be correct in order to process the information.
- Keep it clean – Ensure that the lost pan card application form doesn’t have any overlaps, with it being legible and clear to understand.
List Of Pan Card Office in India 2018