Every taxpaying individual in the country is expected to have a PAN, with its importance seen in multiple transactions on a daily basis. Given its extensive usage, most of us tend to carry it with us at all times, which can increase the chances of misplacing or losing it. A lost PAN would typically make things hard for us, but the government has put sufficient mechanisms in place to ensure that availing a duplicate pan card is simple and quick.
Procedure for Lost Pan Card / Request for new PAN card for existing PAN
The Tax Information Network, a subsidiary of the Income Tax Department receives numerous cases of lost PANs on a regular basis, and it has revamped the entire process, facilitating online exchange of information to speed things up. Individuals who have lost their PAN or require a PAN card for their existing pan card number can log on to the official website of TIN-NSDL or UTITSL and navigate to the Lost PAN/request for new PAN section. They are then expected to fill up an lost pan card application form, providing information like their lost pan card number, name, and date of birth, father’s name, address, contact details and the necessary ID proofs.
The Income Tax department will scrutinize the lost pan card application form and issue a duplicate PAN card if all the information is accurate and factual. Both Indian Residents and foreigners can use this service to apply for a duplicate PAN card in case they lose their original one.
Individuals who wish to apply manually can do so by downloading the lost pan card application form from the official website, filling it and submitting it to the TIN Facilitation cum PAN centres closest to them. These centres are present across the country, in almost all towns and cities.
How to apply for lost Pan Card Online
There are adequate provisions in place to cover loss of PAN card, with an option to reprint a card provided by the government. So if you have lost your PAN card and aren’t sure as to what needs to be done next, here are a few simple steps which you need to follow to get a reprinted card.
- Log onto the official website of TIN-NSDL and navigate to the section on online application for PAN.
- Once here, choose the option “Reprint of PAN card.” This option can be chosen if your PAN Card was stolen, lost or misplaced.
- On clicking the aforementioned link, you will be directed to a different page, where you need to click on the “Online Application for changes/correction in PAN data” link.
- Clicking the aforementioned link will take you to a page which highlights the guidelines as to what needs to be done next. Post reading these guidelines one can choose the type of PAN they lost (individual, company, firm, HUF, etc.).
- They will now be required to fill up a lost pan card application form, providing details like their lost pan number, name, communication address, telephone number, email id, etc. Documents like photographs and ID proof need to be submitted along with the lost pan card application form, with an applicant expected to sign it before submission.
- The lost pan card application form can be submitted either online or posted to NSDL, along with necessary documents.
- Payment of Rs 107 (if the communication address is within the country) or Rs 989 (if the communication address is outside India) should be made, either though credit / debit card, net banking or demand draft.
- On successful payment an acknowledgment number will be generated which can be used for further correspondence.
- A duplicate PAN with the same pan card number will be delivered to the address in about two weeks.
I Lost My Pan Card, How Can I Get New One ?
A PAN card is used as an ID proof by many establishments in the country, thereby increasing its importance in our daily life. Losing it can lead to problems and confusions, especially if we do not remember our Permanent Account Number. Individuals who do lose their PAN need not fret, for they can apply for a duplicate one online, ensuring that they can get back to their normal usage of the card without extended formalities or time delays.
Points to Remember After Your Pan Card Lost
Losing something which is important can lead to tense situations, but losing a PAN shouldn’t be a hassle, provided you remember the following points.
- Stay calm – The most important thing to do after losing a card is to stay calm and composed.
- Use the facilities – One should remember that there are adequate measures in place to handle such situations.
- Correct information – The information provided while filling the form should be error free, as any errors can reflect in the new card. The lost pan card number should be correct in order to process the information.
- Keep it clean – Ensure that the lost pan card application form doesn’t have any overlaps, with it being legible and clear to understand.
News About Lost PAN Card
Register FIR for Lost PAN Card or Passport in Under Five Minutes
Obtaining a duplicate PAN Card or Passport has the potential to be a daunting endeavour, especially as it requires you to register an FIR. However, advancements in technology have now made it possible for you to obtain an FIR without going to a police station in under five minutes. That’s right, all you need to do is download an application called Citizen Cop on your mobile phone, enter such details as your location and you will be redirected to options such as report lost article, call police, report an incident, etc.
In case of a lost passport, select ‘report lost article’ and enter the details required, such as name, ID card number, email id, mobile number, residential address, etc., and you will receive a copy of the FIR in your email within a matter of minutes.
2nd June 2016