Permanent Account Number (PAN) is issued by the Income Tax Department to all individuals earning an income in India. PAN is mandatory not only for filing income tax returns but also depositing cash over Rs.50,000. PAN can be provided as an identity proof for obtaining a LAN line (telephone) or opening a bank account. After marriage, most couples in India, especially wives take the husband's name as their last name. As a result, they have to apply for a name change in all their legal documents such as PAN card, passport, etc.
Procedure for PAN card name change after marriage
PAN card details may have to be modified or corrected in some cases such as misspelled name, change of name or change in name after marriage.
- PAN card change application form: To change your name in the PAN card, you can apply through the Tax Information Network (TIN) or National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) website. Fill up the application form with correct details and submit online. Check the left side column on the application form where change is required.
- Acknowledgement form: Once the application is accepted, an pan acknowledgement number will be issued with the PAN details and correction requests. The signed acknowledgement form affixed with your (signed) photograph, demand draft, proof of existing PAN, date of birth proof, identity proof, and address proof must be sent to NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited, 5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune - 411016 via post. Write 'APPLICATION FOR PAN CHANGE REQUEST - N-Acknowledgment Number’ on the envelope.
- Fees for PAN card name change: The fee for PAN card name change is Rs.110 for contact address within India and Rs.1,020 for contact address outside India. For communications outside India, fee payment can be made via credit card, debit card or Demand Draft payable at Mumbai drawn in favour of 'NSDL - PAN'.
Documents required for PAN card name change after marriage
Along with the duly-filled application/acknowledgement form, you will have to provide the following supporting documents for PAN card name change after marriage:
- Marriage certificate and wedding invitation
- A copy of your passport showing name of the spouse
- Certificate issued by a gazetted officer
- Publication of name change in official gazette
The acknowledgement form has to be mailed to NSDL within 15 days of submitting the application form online. Once your application has been processed, you will be issued a fresh PAN card with the new name and the same Permanent Account Number (a 10-digit alphanumeric code).
Also Know About PAN Card Correction
- UTIITSL NSDL Pan Card Corrections
- How to Change Photo and Signature in Pan Card
- Change PAN Number in PAYPAL
- PAN Card Correction