Sushma Swaraj, the Minister of External Affairs, has made it possible for individuals who urgently require passports to avail the same within a week provided all the requisite documents are ready. The documents required include a copy of your Aadhaar Card, a copy of your PAN Card, a Voter ID and an affidavit proving there are no criminal cases against the applicant’s name. The police verification checks in such cases are usually conducted once the applicant has received the passport.
Before the new option was made available to the general public, obtaining a passport was an endeavour that took between 20 and 25 days, if not more, as document verification and police verification consumed a good amount of time. Individuals who sought passports on an urgent basis would have to wait for a minimum of 10 days to obtain the document, but can now avail the same in a week’s time with a much simpler process.
How to get a Passport in Case of Urgency
Following are the steps you must follow to avail a passport within 10 days:
- Visit passportindia.gov.in and sign up / register for a new passport application.
- Select an appointment date based on your convenience from the dates available for selection.
- Visit the Passport Office on the date on which you selected the appointment and make sure to carry the documents required on your person.
- The passport will be issued to you within a week if the documents you provided meet the criteria laid down by the issuing authority, and police verification will be scheduled for a later date at the Passport Seva Kendra.
By following these simple steps, you can now get your passport within seven days!
Frequently Asked Questions on Availing Passport using PAN Card
- Do I have to submit the original documents when applying for an urgent passport?
It is not necessary to attach your original documents when applying for a passport. You may send in copies of your Aadhard Card, PAN Card and Voter ID along with an affidavit stating that there are no criminal cases against your name, and you will be informed if you have to carry the original documents for your police verification.
- Is it important to submit PAN Card as well as Aadhar Card or will only one of the documents suffice?
Both documents have to be submitted as the authorities will require them both to check your eligibility for a passport.
- If I had made a mistake while filling in my form online, is there any way I can correct it after submission?
Yes, you can request the CSE (Citizen Service Executive) at the Passport Seva Kendra to make any changes you require in your application form.