Every since the current government has come into power, a number of schemes have been put forth to benefit those who cannot afford the basic necessities to live a healthy life. One of the recent schemes that have been put forth is the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme which is meant to benefit those families that are below poverty line when it comes to the provision of clean cooking fuel. This article talks about this scheme in detail.
Aim of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme aims to provide clean fuel to women who are below poverty line who generally use unclean cooking fuels that does more harm than good and replace the same with LPG.
Through this scheme, the Indian government hopes to provide over 5 crore connections of Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG) to women who are a part of families that are below poverty line. Some of the important objectives of this scheme include:
- Protecting the health of women and empowering them
- Curbing health issues that result from using fossil fuels and other fuels for cooking
- Reducing casualties that occur as a result of unclean fuels used for cooking
- Controlling respiratory issues that occur due to indoor pollution as a result of using fossil fuel that does not burn cleanly.
- Preventing the degradation of purity of environment that is compromised by widespread usage of unclean cooking fuel
Steps to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
Applying for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme is not a very difficult task. Individuals will only have to meet the eligibility criteria and provide all necessary documents.
- Individuals will have to first procure the form which is available at all LPG outlets across the country and online at the PM Ujjwala Yojana website.
- This form will have to be completely filled with details such as Age, Name, Bank Account Details, Aadhaar Card number and so on.
- Required documents must also be attached with the application form.
- Individuals will also have to mention the type of cylinder that they require based on their necessities.
- This filled in form with documents will have to be submitted to the closest LPG outlet.
Eligibility Criteria for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
In order to be eligible to receive the benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme, applicants will have to meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must a woman above the age of 18 and a citizen of India
- Applicant should belong to a BPL (Below Poverty Line) household
- No one in the applicant’s household should own an LPG connection
- The household income of the family, per month, must not exceed a certain limit as defined by the government of the Union Territories and State Government.
- The name of the applicant must be in the list of SECC-2011 data and should match with the information available in the BPL database that Oil Marketing Companies have.
- Applicant must not be a recipient of other similar schemes provided by the government.
KYC Application Forms for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
KYC application forms for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme is available in both Hindi and English across all LPG outlets in the country. This 2 page documents requires individuals to fill in details such as:
- Name, Age, Address, Location
- Details of all members in household who are above the age of 18
- PAHAL joining details as all benefits of his scheme will be credit directly to the bank account of the applicant
- Details of bank account including branch and IFSC number along with Aadhaar card details
- Details of Ration Card
- The equipment that is to be selected
Documents Required for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
The documents required for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme are as follows:
- An authorized BPL Certificate by Municipality Chairman or Panchayat Pradhan
- BPL Ration card
- Identity Proof with photo (Voter ID/Aadhaar Card)
- A passport size photograph that was taken recently
- Driving License
- Any utility bill
- Lease Agreement
- Copy of a passport
- Ration Card
- Possession letter or flat allotment
- Self declaration that has been attested by a Gazetted Officer
- House Registration Documents
- LIC policy
- Bank statement
The first four documents are mandatory, the others may or may not be required.
Budget and Funding for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
This scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. The budget that has been allotted by the government is currently Rs.2000 crore for the financial year 2016 to 2017. These LPG connections will be provided to over 1.5 crore families living below poverty line.
This scheme will be implemented over a period of three years and a total amount of Rs.8,000 crores has been allotted for it. Money that has been saved due to the ‘Give-it-up’ subsidy campaign will also be used for the same.
Eligible households will receive a support of Rs.1,600 and will be in the name of the female head of the entire household. EMI facilities have also been made available.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme Launch State-wise
This scheme has been launched in a few states so far. The list has been provided below:
- The scheme was launched in Uttar Pradesh on May 1, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Rajasthan on May 15, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Gujarat on May 15, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Uttarakhand on June 9, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Odisha on June 20, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Bihar on June 28, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Madhya Pradesh on July 4, 2016
This scheme aims to bring clean cooking fuel at affordable rates to a number of families living below poverty line as using unclean fuels not only results in health hazards but also environmental deterioration. The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme will ensure that women benefit from this scheme in the highest level possible. Although it has only been launched in a few states so far, a lot of people have benefited from this. This scheme will be implemented over a period of three years.
News about Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) Scheme
Launch of PMUY By Nitin Gadkari
Nitin Gadkari, Road Transport and Highways and Shipping Minister, launched the PMUY (Pradhan Mantri Ujjawala Yojana) at Vrindavan. This event was attended by many important people including Uma Bharti and Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas. During the launch, the dignitaries gave the women from BPL households the LPG connection papers. Gadkari mentioned that this scheme aims to provide clean fuel, which will help the women with cooking. Dharmendra Pradhan said that this scheme will help in the reduction of health diseases and indoor pollution. More than 50 lakh gas connections have been distributed under the PMUY scheme within a period of 100 days.
17th August 2016
Chhattisgarh Launches Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
In a public function held in Chhattisgarh, the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was launched. The guest of honour at the ceremony was Dharmendra Pradhan, the Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas.
He took the opportunity to make announcements such as the opening of new refilling centres at Korba, Tilda and Janjgir. He went on to add that the Chhattisgarh government is the first state government to get into equal partnership with the central government when it comes to sharing the burden of providing gas connections. Each domestic gas connection amounts to Rs. 3,200 with the central and Chhattisgarh government sharing an equal split of Rs. 1,600.
14th August 2016
Ujjwala Yojana To Be Inaugurated By Minister Pradhan
Dharmendra Pradhan, the Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas will be inaugurating the aspiring ‘Ujjwala Yojana’. This Yojana is targeted at providing LPG connection for free to the women who stand below the poverty line.
Minister Pradhan will be inaugurating the Ujjwala Yojana in the Chief Minister’s presence. The event will take place at the ground of Science College. According to Ramesh Bais, Member of the Parliament, several initiatives have been taken by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for improving the standards of living of the poor classes. Ujjwala Yojana is also one such scheme that is designed to cater to the needs of the poor. Traditional stoves where wood and kerosene are used cause too much smoke which is bad for health. More than one crore individuals had given up their subsidised connection of LPG when Prime Minister Narendra Modi called for it. This step made it possible for the government to distribute gas connection for free to the impoverished sections of the mass. The first state which provided subsidy amount of Rs 1548 for gas cylinder refilling by Ujjwala Yojana beneficiaries is Chattisgarh.
7th August 2016
BPL Families in Northern Region to Receive Free LPG Connection
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas in India is going to launch PMUY (Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana) in the northern region of India soon. This scheme aims to provide free gas connections to women of the BPL families. The northern region includes Chandigarh, Punjab, Jammu & Kashmir, and Himachal Pradesh. The BPL families will avail Rs.1600 worth financial support for each gas connection. The government plans to provides LPG connections to 5 crore BPL households over a period of 3 years through the PMUY scheme.
5th August 2016
Free Gas Connection for BPL Families in East Champaran
To ensure that every BPL (Below Poverty Line) family in East Champaran district has a LPG connection, the government recently launched the PMUY (Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana) scheme there. Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister, gave the free gas connection papers to women from BPL households. According to Mr. Pradhan, the PMUY aims to protect and empower women from BPL households. Under the PMUY scheme, 1 lakh free LPG connections have been provided in Bihar. The ministry of petroleum and natural gas plans to open a placement cell in Bihar and 3 more gas agencies in each block to improve the gas supply process in the rural areas.
31st July 2016
Free LPG connections Provided for BPL Families by PMUY
Procuring an LPG connection was a difficult task for most a few years ago but sales promotion kiosks by gas distributors are providing great deals under the PMUY or Prime Minister Ujjwala Yojana wherein customers will not have to spend any money to avail a gas connection. Under this scheme, LPG connections are being given to women from BPL families as long as they don’t have it already. Distributors have been asked not to wait for beneficiaries to approach them but to go to their doorstep and give them offers. IOC alone in Ujjain district has provided more than 2000 connections under the PMUY scheme. Public sector oil companies are working to grab market share at the earliest.
31st July 2016
Gurgaon to Be Free of Kerosene Starting November 1
Gurgaon is expected to become a kerosene free district starting from the 1st of November, and all individuals and families that use kerosene and whose names appear in the BPL list based on the Socio Economic Caste Census are expected to receive LPG gas connections for free thanks to the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana. TL Satyaprakash, the deputy commissioner chaired a meeting last week, and in attendance at the meeting were officers from panchayats and development department, Gram Patwaries and Sachivs, district and food supply controller and officials from the revenue department.
27th July, 2016
Digvijay Singh’s Name Not in the BP List
The State’s BPL list does not contain Digvijay Singh’s name or any of his family members.The State government has made it quite evident to Social, Economic and Caste Census (SECC), which has been made basis for Ujjwala Yojana, was conducted in year 2011. Information about all the families in the state was compiled in the survey along with information about Digvijay Singh and his family.National Informatics Centre, New Delhi had compiled list of prospective beneficiary families under Ujjwala Yojana by using some filters and handed over their list to gas companies. Gas companies examine applications only after families under the list submit them.
25th July 2016