Every since the current government has come into power, a number of schemes have been put forth to benefit those who cannot afford the basic necessities to live a healthy life. One of the recent schemes that have been put forth is the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme which is meant to benefit those families that are below poverty line when it comes to the provision of clean cooking fuel. This article talks about this scheme in detail.
Latest Updates on Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Milestones
Some of the recent milestones achieved by the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana are:
- The scheme has covered 715 districts across the country.
- In total, 5,41,22,556 LPG connections have been provided by the government under the PMUY scheme.
10 Crore Gas Connections given in 4 years, says Modi
In a speech in New Delhi on Monday, Narendra Modi claimed that 10 crore gas connections were made available to the public as compared to only 13 crore in the 6 previous decades. He also claimed that out of the 10 crore gas connections given by the BJP led government, 45% were made available to Dalits and tribals. In a thinly-veiled attack on the UPA coalition that was in power till 2014, Modi said that his government had distributed 1200 more pumps during their tenure to Dalits. Experts see this as a move by BJP to woo the Dalit community whose support has eluded them till now.
Aim of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme aims to provide clean fuel to women who are below poverty line who generally use unclean cooking fuels that does more harm than good and replace the same with LPG.
Through this Ujjwala Yojana scheme, the Indian government hopes to provide over 5 crore connections of Liquified Petroleum Gas (LPG) to women who are a part of families that are below poverty line. Some of the important objectives of this scheme include:
- Protecting the health of women and empowering them
- Curbing health issues that result from using fossil fuels and other fuels for cooking
- Reducing casualties that occur as a result of unclean fuels used for cooking
- Controlling respiratory issues that occur due to indoor pollution as a result of using fossil fuel that does not burn cleanly.
- Preventing the degradation of purity of environment that is compromised by widespread usage of unclean cooking fuel
Steps to Apply for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
Applying for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme is not a very difficult task. Individuals will only have to meet the eligibility criteria and provide all necessary documents.
- Individuals will have to first procure the form which is available at all LPG outlets across the country and online at the PM Ujjwala Yojana website.
- This form will have to be completely filled with details such as Age, Name, Bank Account Details, Aadhaar Card number and so on.
- Required documents must also be attached with the application form.
- Individuals will also have to mention the type of cylinder that they require based on their necessities.
- This filled in form with documents will have to be submitted to the closest LPG outlet.
Eligibility Criteria for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
In order to be eligible to receive the benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme, applicants will have to meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must a woman above the age of 18 and a citizen of India
- Applicant should belong to a BPL (Below Poverty Line) household
- No one in the applicant’s household should own an LPG connection
- The household income of the family, per month, must not exceed a certain limit as defined by the government of the Union Territories and State Government.
- The name of the applicant must be in the list of SECC-2011 data and should match with the information available in the BPL database that Oil Marketing Companies have.
- Applicant must not be a recipient of other similar schemes provided by the government.
PMUY Helpline Number
The nationwide PMUY helpline number is 1906. It is a 24x7 helpline number of LPG leakage complaints.
KYC Application Forms for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
KYC application forms for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme is available in both Hindi and English across all LPG outlets in the country. This 2 page documents requires individuals to fill in details such as:
- Name, Age, Address, Location
- Details of all members in household who are above the age of 18
- PAHAL joining details as all benefits of his scheme will be credit directly to the bank account of the applicant
- Details of bank account including branch and IFSC number along with Aadhaar card details
- Details of Ration Card
- The equipment that is to be selected
Documents Required for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
The documents required for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme are as follows:
- An authorized BPL Certificate by Municipality Chairman or Panchayat Pradhan
- BPL Ration card
- Identity Proof with photo (Voter ID/Aadhaar Card)
- A passport size photograph that was taken recently
- Driving License
- Any utility bill
- Lease Agreement
- Copy of a passport
- Ration Card
- Possession letter or flat allotment
- Self declaration that has been attested by a Gazetted Officer
- House Registration Documents
- LIC policy
- Bank statement
The first four documents are mandatory, the others may or may not be required.
PMUY Scheme: Recent Events
On 28 May 2018, PM Modi interacted with PMUY beneficiaries through video conferencing. In the meeting between Modi and the beneficiaries, various topics regarding PMUY were discussed. He also spoke about to how the PMUY scheme has benefited the underprivileged, the Dalits and the tribal communities. The PM also talked about how the women of the households have been empowered by this scheme. The scheme also prevents the health hazards normally the members of the household would face when cooking food on firewood instead of LPG.
Modi also informed the beneficiaries about LPG panchayats that are being held across the country. In these LPG panchayats that are held in the most inaccessible rural areas, important information about the PMUY scheme as well as safety tips on how to use LPG are provided to the people. Talking about the benefits of the scheme, Modi said that the women now need less time to cook food than earlier which allows them to spend more time with their family. The PM ended the video conferencing session by saying that PMUY has benefited the lives of people in more than one way.
Budget and Funding for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
This scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. The budget that has been allotted by the government is currently Rs.2000 crore for the financial year 2016 to 2017. These LPG connections will be provided to over 1.5 crore families living below poverty line.
This scheme will be implemented over a period of three years and a total amount of Rs.8,000 crores has been allotted for it. Money that has been saved due to the ‘Give-it-up’ subsidy campaign will also be used for the same.
Eligible households will receive a support of Rs.1,600 and will be in the name of the female head of the entire household. EMI facilities have also been made available.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme Launch State-wise
This scheme has been launched in a few states so far. The list has been provided below:
- The scheme was launched in Uttar Pradesh on May 1, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Rajasthan on May 15, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Gujarat on May 15, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Uttarakhand on June 9, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Odisha on June 20, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Bihar on June 28, 2016
- The scheme was launched in Madhya Pradesh on July 4, 2016
This scheme aims to bring clean cooking fuel at affordable rates to a number of families living below poverty line as using unclean fuels not only results in health hazards but also environmental deterioration. The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme will ensure that women benefit from this scheme in the highest level possible. Although it has only been launched in a few states so far, a lot of people have benefited from this. This scheme will be implemented over a period of three years.
Distribution and Implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
Across 11 states in India, around 95.1 lakh LPG connections have been issued under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwana Yojana scheme that aims at the welfare of the rural population. The scheme was introduced with a view to replace unhealthy and inefficient cooking methods with subsidised LPG.
State wise, the widest rollout of this scheme seems to be in Uttar Pradesh, which accounts for a third of the total connections – around 34 lakh LPG cylinders – registered and distributed so far.
Total number of connections released under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana scheme in India as of May 9th, 2018 is as follows:
|State||Approximate No. of Connections Registered & Distributed Under PMUY scheme|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands||3,480|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli||11,665|
|Daman and Diu||268|
|Jammu and Kashmir||4,42,298|
Contact Information for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Scheme
Details about the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana scheme can be accessed by calling the toll free number 1800-266-6696.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana for BPL
As per the official data that was recorded in the year 2012, 276 million households belong to the Below Poverty Line (BPL) category. Any family whose household income is less than Rs.131 per day falls under this category. Since these families live in conditions of extreme poverty, it is the responsibility of the government to make sure that they get the basic necessities to survive. The government has launched a number of schemes for the BPL households such as the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) and Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana to help BPL households to get basic things such as food to eat, a roof to live under and electricity.
Pradhan Mantri LPG Panchayat
The ‘Pradhan Mantri LPG Panchayat’ is an event in which meeting between the Prime Minister and the beneficiaries of the PMUY scheme takes place so that the beneficiaries can raise their concerns, if they have any regarding the services of the scheme. As per a statement released by the government, these meetings serve the purpose of establishing a deeper connect between the government and the beneficiaries.
Frequently Asked Questions on Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Scheme
Are the guidelines of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Scheme notified by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural LPG?
Ans. Yes. The guidelines of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Scheme has been notified by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural LPG.
How Can I Find out if I’m eligible to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana?
Ans. The beneficiaries of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will be selected or identified through the published SECC-2011 data. If your name appears in the data, you will be eligible to apply.
I’m a PMUY beneficiary. Am I allowed to buy an LPG stove outside from the market and still avail the PMUY benefit?
Ans. Yes. You are allowed to buy an LPG stove outside from the market and still avail the PMUY benefit as long as you buy an ISI marked stove.
Should I be paying for the Suraksha Hose, DGCC, and installation?
Ans. A total cost of up to Rs.1,600 will be paid by the Government of India. The government will reimburse this amount per connection to the respective Oil Marketing Company. In return, the Oil Marketing Companies reimburse Suraksha Hose Pipe cost, DGCC book, installation charges, and administrative of about Rs.200 to the respective distributor on a weekly basis.
My mother applied for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana. Her name is appearing as the applicant on the application. She is not alive, can I or her granddaughter claim the benefit and get the Uiiwala connection?
Ans. Yes. They are eligible to receive on behalf of the deceased applicant provided they fulfil certain prescribed conditions.