The process for regularization or change of name in the official KYC records is the same for all three big oil companies and their distributors operating in India. Bharat Petroleum, Indian Oil Corporation, and Hindustan Petroleum follow an identical process that requires the filling of Annexure ‘E’ through the form for transfer of LPG connection.
What is LPG Connection Regularization?
Before the directive was passed that required all users of the LPG subsidy to either surrender their excess cylinders or register themselves, LPG was being distributed based on a non-centralized registry of consumers. Now, with the new rules and laws in place, it has become necessary to keep KYC and the DGCC booklet up to date with the personal details and address of the consumer.
There are, however, some LPG consumers who have not gotten around to submitting their required KYC documents or updating the LPG distributorship with the required information. To make the process simpler and easier for non-registered consumers of LPG, oil companies and distributorships have developed a system through which all LPG consumers can be easily registered.
Holding an LPG connection without the required documentation and SV is illegal.
Why is It Necessary to Change the Consumer’s Name in the Official Records?
In order to avoid duplication of registrations and ensure that no one is taking undue advantage of the LPG subsidy, the government has mandated that all LPG consumers must be registered with their correct names and addresses.
If, at any time, a registered customer wants to change his name in the official KYC records, he or she can do so by filling out the requisite form and submitting an officially recognized proof of identity.
Customers could have name changes for various reasons like marriage, etc. and official records of the change in name along with a public notification and new proof of identity is required to be submitted in order to update the existing KYC documents.
How to Fill the Form for Transfer or Regularization of LPG Connection
The government has made it possible to transfer the LPG connection and registration, and to do this a process must be followed which starts with filling out a form. The layout of the form is given below along with instructions on how to fill it up correctly (in italics):
FORMAT FOR TRANSFER OF DOMESTIC LPG CONNECTIONTo, Name & Address of the Distributorship: Here, fill out the name and address of your current LPG distributor> From: Name of the Transferor:
Other Ways to Register/Transfer An LPG Connection to Your Name
LPG connections can be transferred for any of 5 acceptable reasons as mentioned under:
The government has allowed LPG customers to transfer their LPG connections in the following cases:
- Transfer of Connection to a Family Member: LPG connections being transferred under this category can only be transferred to the original consumer’s father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister. An ID proof and address proof document is required to be submitted to the LPG distributorship at the time of transfer. The declaration form has to be filled out and duly signed by both the Transferor and the Transferee.
- Transfer of Connection Outside the Family: A valid LPG can be transferred by a citizen to a person outside his or her family. An ID proof and address proof document must also be submitted at the time of transferring the connection for the distributor’s records and to maintain legality in the transaction. Both the Transferor and Transferee have to sign the declaration form.
- Transfer of Connection without Consent From the Transferor: An LPG connection can be transferred onto another person’s name without presenting the signature of the original owner. The Transferee need only fill out and duly sign the declaration form and submit the required ID and address proof.
- Transfer of Connection Due to the Death of the Connection Holder: In the unfortunate event that a registered LPG connection holder dies, his/her next of kin/legal heir can take the connection for themselves. In order to transfer the connection on these grounds, a death certificate and KYC documents must be submitted to the distributor.
- Regularization of LPG Connection: This is the process to follow if the LPG connection had been held without a Subscription Voucher. In this case, a process needs to be followed which will regularize the LPG connection. A set of KYC documents needs to be filled out and submitted along with ID proof and address proof and a duly filled out declaration form.