In an effort to increase accountability on the part of the large oil companies and their distributorships, the government has introduced a policy whereby customers can shift their LPG supplier and distributor if they feel their needs are not being met.
So far, the oil companies and distributors had a strong monopoly, which meant that they were merely collecting money from their customers and providing them the most basic service, the standards of which were already pretty low to begin with. This move will not only increase customer satisfaction and involvement, it will also ensure that the LPG distributors step up their game and treat the customer as king. Accountability from everyone will be guaranteed, and to this end, the industry will perform better and develop in a way that’s customer-centric, instead of profit-centric.
Under the new system, a customer need only log on to their distributors website and submit a request for portability. This request need not be approved by the distributor for intra-company portability. All the customer has to do is fill out the required documents and become a customer of a different company.
Procedure to Register for LPG Portability
Given below is a step by step process to register for LPG connection portability between companies:
- Log on to the OMC website: The first thing to do is to login to your account on your existing OMC website at:
Indane Gas Portability
Bharat Gas Portability
HP Gas Portability
- LPG Distributor Portability : There is a list of distributors in each of these websites which shows the distributor location and rating (1 star to 5 stars) based on delivery, refill and customer service. Once the list has been thoroughly scrutinized, you can choose the distributor of your choice.
- Register Online: After picking the right distributor, the customer can register him or herself online for the LPG services. After registration, you will receive an email confirming your registration and detailing the further steps to be followed in the process.
- Intra Company Portability (i.e. Changing LPG Distributors): If you don’t want to change your oil company, but just the distributor, all you need to do is to take a copy of the email and visit the new distributor to finish the enrollment process. After this, your LPG cylinder will be filled by this new distributor and your dealings with the old distributor will stop entirely. The equipment which is the cylinder and pressure regulator need not be changed or surrendered as the same oil company will use the same equipment across its network of distributors.
- Inter Company Portability (i.e. Changing Oil Company): If you are unsatisfied with the product itself being offered by the oil company and not just the service at your distributor, you can change your registration to another oil company. To do this, you must first visit your current distributor and surrender your equipment (cylinder and pressure regulator) for the simple reason that this equipment may not be compatible with another company’s equipment. At the time of surrendering the equipment, the distributor will refund the security deposit as well as show you how to transfer your documents to your new oil company. You must then take this deposit and set of document to the new supplier at the new distributorship and submit the same and your work is done. The new distributor from the new oil company will initiate the process of refilling and issuing you a cylinder and pressure regulator.
A Few Points to Note About LPG Portability:
- No transfer fees are charged under portability.
- No additional security deposit is charged under portability.
- Transfer of connection is monitored through electronic tracking and the case is escalated automatically in case the service request has not been fulfilled in the stipulated time.