For those who have moved house, one of the most important things to do is changing your address and making sure all your possessions have safely made the trip to your new home. Whether you’re moving cities or just a few streets away, the hassle that accompanies shifting house is enough to drive anyone up the wall.
While making sure all your possessions have been safely packed and delivered, making sure your utilities are all connected or transferred is equally, if not more important. All of us remember the difficulty with which we registered for a new LPG connection, and none of us would want to go through that hassle again.
So what do you do if you change residence? The three major LPG suppliers- Indian Oil, Bharat Petroleum and HP, have made arrangements to allow the transfer of a gas connection. So wherever you are, you can take your gas connection with you.
Transferring Gas Connection From One Agency to Another
The following list of documents are to be submitted when transferring your gas connection from one agency to another:
- Proof of identity
- Proof of address
- Gas book
- Gas regulator
- Gas connection voucher (the two page document received when you received your gas connection)
- Letter requesting transfer (mention customer number, current address and the address of the gas agency you will be transferring the connection to)
Procedure to Transfer a Gas Connection:
The three gas agencies have the same procedure to transfer a gas connection, which is mentioned below:
- Get Gas Agency Details: one of the first things to do is get the details of the gas agency in the place you will be moving to. This can be done by accessing the detailed records of distributors on the gas company’s website.
- Documentation: Take the original and photocopies of all the documents listed above and visit the office of your current gas distributor.
- Submit the transfer letter, gas regulator and the gas connection voucher in person to the gas distributor.
- If you are transferring from one city to another, you will have to surrender your existing cylinder and safety regulator as well.
- You will receive a refund of your security deposit for the cylinder and the regulator.
- You will receive a gas transfer voucher that resembles your gas connection voucher. Check the details mentioned in it before leaving the gas distributor’s office.
- After getting address proof of your new place of residence, submit the address proof, your identity proof and the gas transfer voucher to the new agency.
- You will have to pay a nominal fee as transfer charge, which varies from agency to agency.
- After submitting the documents, the gas agency will confirm your transfer and you will be issued with a new gas connection voucher with your current address mentioned.
- You will also be able to book a cylinder at the agency, which will be delivered to your new place of residence in a few days.
In case of any difficulty regarding transferring your gas connection, you can contact the helplines provided by the gas companies and request for assistance.