The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was launched and was widely accepted, with over 95.1 lakh connections being registered and distributed in 11 states so far. The Yojana was formulated to ensure that no rural or below-poverty-line (BPL) family or individual would have to resort of cooking over wood, charcoal, cow dung, or other unhealthy fuel sources.
Rural households in India have always had limited or no access to modern utilities like LPG, but that’s changing now that a lot of private LPG connection holders who held more than one connection for the sake of convenience have surrendered the extra connections. In addition, the government has made additional LPG cylinders and service infrastructure available. This has freed up a lot of LPG cylinders and equipment which can now be distributed among the rural poor.
Eligibility Criteria for Ujjwala Yojana
In order to be eligible for the discounted or free LPG connections offered by the government, applicants must be:
- Female, over the age of 18.
- Registered as a BPL household/family/unit with the respective State Government.
- Registered and present in the SECC-2011 data (Rural) so as to avoid duplication and mismanagement.
- Unregistered for an existing LPG connection.
The Yojana has promised to provide financial support to BPL families up to the extent of Rs.1,600 for each BPL household, and up to 5 crore LPG connections have been reserved for this purpose. All these connections will be registered and given to women beneficiaries, as they have been identified as the ones that have to resort to using conventional and dangerous fuel for cooking.
Documents Required to Get a Free or Discounted LPG Cylinder Under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Given below is a list of documents that can be taken to the LPG distributorship for the purpose of registering and acquiring an LPG cylinder for free or at a discount:
- BPL Certificate (below poverty line certificate) which has been authorized by the Municipality Chairman or Panchayat Pradhan.
- BPL Ration Card (below poverty line ration card).
- Photo ID card which can be either:
- Proof of address document which can be:
- Aadhaar card
- Voter ID card
- Driving license
- House registration documents.
- Passport sized photograph.
There is a form that must be filled out, and this form is available at the LPG distribution centre.
How to Get Free LPG Connection for Below Poverty Line (BPL) Families
The State Governments and Union Territories have made the list of BPL families available online and to the central registry in order to maintain transparency and solidarity with this scheme.
A person who is currently registered as BPL (below poverty line) whether they reside in rural or urban areas can take their BPL card to the nearest LPG distributorship and register themselves for a free or subsidised LPG cylinder as the case may be.
The government discount of Rs.1,600 includes a security deposit of Rs.1,450 for the 14.2kg cylinder and Rs.150 for the pressure regulator. In addition, the scheme also provides for a gas stove and ISI standard pipe to be given to the BPL families at a heavily subsidized rate.
A 5kg cylinder is also available to the same BPL demographic and this can be used and refilled a total of 34 times per year at the cost of Rs.161.
How to Fill the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Application Form
The application form the Ujjwala Yojana can be taken from the LPG distributor or downloaded off the internet. This application form needs to be submitted along with the BPL Card and Proof of ID in order to take advantage of the scheme.
The format of the form is given below, along with instruction (in italics) on how to fill it up correctly:
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Ujjwala KYC Application
(To be filled in BLOCK LETTERS only. All fields are mandatory.)
a) Name of applicant Ms. / Mrs. <This scheme is only available to women applicants who are below the poverty line.
- First Name: <Write your middle name here, as it appears on the official ID proof being submitted. Remember to fill all details in BLOCK LETTERS ONLY.>
- Middle Name: <Write your middle name here, as it appears on the official ID proof being submitted. Remember to fill all details in BLOCK LETTERS ONLY.>
- Last Name: <Write your last name here, as it appears on the official ID proof being submitted. Remember to fill all details in BLOCK LETTERS ONLY.>
Date of Birth: <Write your date of birth here, in the DD/MM/YY format.>
b) Address for LPG Connection/Contact information
- Proof of Address (POA) Category Code: POA _ _ <Here, fill out the category code associated with the exact document being submitted as proof of address. A list of category codes is available below.>
Land line number with STD code: <Here, fill out the land line phone number, if any.>
- House/Flat number and name: <Here, enter the name of the house/flat along with the house/flat number.>
Floor Number: <Enter the floor on which the residence is located.>
- Housing Complex/Building: <Enter the name of the housing complex or building name, if applicable.>
Landmark: <Here, enter the name or details of any nearby landmark which can be used to identify the location of the building.>
- Street/Road Name: <Enter the name of the street or road on which the residence is located.>
Area/Post office name: <Write details of the nearest post office servicing the area, or the name of the area as defined in official planning records available at the local authority.>
- City/Town: <Enter the name of the city or town under whose local administrative body the residence is registered.>
PIN Code: <Write the correct PIN Code of the registered address.>
- Village/Panchayat: <If the residence is registered under a village/panchayat enter those details here.>
Mobile number: <Enter your 10 digit mobile phone number here.>
- Block/sub district: <Write the name of the block or sub district here, if applicable.>
Email ID: <Enter your personal email ID here, if applicable.>
- District: <Enter the name of the district, if applicable.>
- State: <Write the name of the state in which the residence is located and the subsidy is being sought.>
c) Details of household members aged above 18 years (consisting of people living together in a dwelling unit having a common kitchen)
Relationship with applicant
Name (First, Last)
Aadhaar number (attach copy of Aadhaar Card)
<Write the relationship the person holds with you, the applicant.>
<Write the first name and last name as it appears on official records, in BLOCK LETTERS ONLY.>
<Write the Aadhaar number of the relative and attach a copy of their Aadhaar Card.>
<Write M/F to signify male or female here.>
PAHAL Scheme Joining Details
d) Particulars of my Aadhaar Card (Attach Copy of Aadhaar Card)
- Name in Aadhaar Card: <Enter the name as it appears on the Aadhaar Card.>
- Aadhaar Number: <Enter the Aadhaar number here.>
e) Particulars of My Bank Account (Attach Copy of Passbook/Bank statement/cancelled cheque bearing account holder’s name, account number and IFSC code)
- Name in bank account: <Enter the name as it appears on the official bank records, it’s alright if the spelling, etc. doesn’t match, as the official spelling as per Aadhaar records is also mentioned.>
- Bank name: <Write the name of the bank in which the account is held.>
- Branch name: <Write the name of the bank branch in which the account is held.>
- IFSC Code: <Write the IFSC code of the bank branch here. You can find all IFSC codes here https://www.bankbazaar.com/ifsc-code.html.>
- Bank account number: <Write the correct bank account number here.>
Ration Card Details (Attach a Copy of Ration Card)
- State of issue: <Enter the name of the state in which the ration card was issued, not the current state of residence.>
- Ration card number: <Enter the correct ration card number that appears on the card.>
Equipment Selection (Tick the Appropriate Box/Boxes)
1. Type of LPG cylinder desired:
14.2 kg cylinder
5 kg cylinder
<Here, tick the box against which cylinder is required.>
2. Do you need LPG stove from distributor:
<Here, tick either ‘yes’ or ‘no’ depending on whether you want an LPG stove from the distributor.>
3. Do you need a loan from OMCs for LPG stove and first LPG refill:
<Here, tick whichever box(es) are required. If you tick ‘Stove’ and ‘Refill’ you will be applying for a loan from the OMCs for the same.>
Dear LPG Distributor,
I __<write your name here> son/daughter/wife of __<strike out the irrelevant options and write the name of the relation here> aged __<write your age here> years, resident of __<write your address here> desire to take desire to take a domestic LPG connection in my name and affirm as under:
I hereby confirm that the information furnished in this form is correct and nothing material has been concealed therefrom and I understand that false information, if any, will attract punishment under the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
I shall not hold IOC/HPC/BPC/MoP&NG responsible for any delays/non receipt of subsidy in case of change/closure/deactivation of my Bank Account/Bank not in NACH or for any rejection by Bank or non-confidentiality of any information.
In case of any revision/change in the above information, I will inform the LPG Distributor.
I authorize my Oil Company/bank to update/share my Aadhaar No./demographic data/bank account details between themselves and with outside agencies for de-duplication/authentication/verification purposes.
In case LPG stove and first refill is purchased on loan from OMC, I authorize my OMC to recover the loan amount from the subsidy of refills availed by me. I am fully aware that I will not receive the subsidy amount of the refills purchased by me in my bank a/c till the time the loan amount is fully recovered by the OMC.
In the event of any violation of Government Regulation related to the supply and distribution of LPG, IOC/BPC/HPC will be within its right to discontinue supply of LPG cylinders to me, forfeit of security deposit and levy of penal charges as per the policy and guidelines and may initiate legal action applicable under provisions.
That I am an Indian Citizen/Non-Resident Indian/Staff of Foreign nationality serving in India/Foreign national residing in India under valid Visa/person returning to India on transfer of residence basis/PIO *Tick whichever is applicable. Only Indian citizens are eligible for subsidized LPG.
That my date of birth is __ <write your date of birth here>
That neither I, nor any other member of the household (household means a family consisting of husband, wife, unmarried children and dependent parents living together in a dwelling unit having a common kitchen) possess any LPG connection from PSU Oil Companies or Piped Natural Gas Connection for domestic use in our dwelling unit. (Households having Piped Natural Gas subsidy are not entitled for subsidized LPG.)
I confirm that the LPG connection issued to me will be used in my above mentioned address and for domestic cooking purposes only, and I shall abide by all governing terms.
That I shall not position any other LPG gas installations in the same kitchen.
That as and when a second cylinder is issued to me against this connection, the same will also be used in the same kitchen and with the original installation.
That whenever I change my residence from the present address to another, I will inform M/s __ <write the name of your LPG distributor/RGGLV here> in writing in advance for the change of address in the records.
That I am aware that the domestic subsidized LPG connection as shall be released by IOC/BPC/HPCL on the basis of this declaration and information submitted by me in this KYC from, POA, and POI, shall later be subjected to de-duplication check for existence of any other Domestic subsidized LPG connection with any govt. Oil Company, in my name or in the name of any other member of my household.
That if any information/declaration given by me in this undertaking, the KYC form or any document submitted in support of identity/residence proof shall be found untrue or incorrect or false, the Oil Company would be within its rights to withdraw the supply of Gas/Terminate the connection/seize the equipment/forfeit the security deposit and that I would have no claim whatsoever against IOCL/BPCL/HPCL for such withdrawal/termination/seizure/forfeiture.
Date: <Write the date on which you filled the form here>
Place: <Write the place in which the document was signed here>
Signature of the person giving the declaration
Name: <Write your name here and affix your signature next to it.>
The rest of the form contains details that are to be filled in by your distributor.
Proof of Address (POA) and category code:
|Proof of address document
|Aadhaar Card UID
|Self-declaration attested by gazetted officer
|Flat allotment/possession letter
|House registration documents
|Bank/Credit Card statement