Rolled out by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to compete with foreign card associates such as VISA and Mastercard, the Rupay came into the market in 2012 but was popularised across the country through the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana and the concept of zero-balance savings account, a few years later. Customers that opened zero-balance accounts under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana and zero-balance savings accounts from banks across the country were offered a free RuPay debit card - which was offered with no initial fee. For those new to savings accounts, customers holding a zero-balance savings account do not need to maintain a minimum monthly average balance - the biggest advantage of such an account. According to the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), RuPay debit cards are accepted at all ATMs across the country and are even accepted online on domestic payment gateways. On receiving the RuPay debit card and the PIN (Personal Identification Number), card holders do not necessarily have to go to the bank to activate the card, as they can register and activate the card when making their first transaction online. For customers that have just received their RuPay debit card, they can follow the steps mentioned below to register and activate their card.
Steps to register and activate RuPay debit card onlineAs already mentioned, the RuPay debit card will be accepted on domestic payment gateways only. To register the RuPay debit card on domestic e-commerce sites, the customer has to first choose the products he/she wishes to buy and then follow the steps mentioned below to register and activate the card:
- Select the products that you wish to buy and click on the payment gateway option.
- Choose the “pay by debit card” option.
- Now, enter the details of your RuPay debit card - the 16-digit card number, the expiry date of the card and the CVV number.
- Now, provided that you have registered your number with the bank, choose the OTP (One-time password) option to complete the payment.
- Next, enter the OTP that will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the captcha and choose an image - remember the image for future transactions.
- Now, enter a phrase that will be linked to your transactions in the future.
- Enter your ATM PIN to complete the transaction.
- As soon as this done, your RuPay debit card will be activated and registered. Follow the steps mentioned above for subsequent transactions.
1. Are RuPay debit cards offered only for zero-balance savings accounts?
No, RuPay debit cards are offered for regular savings accounts as well. Customers choose debit cards from foreign card associates as it gives them a wider option with regard to making transactions.
2. Is there any way I can use a RuPay debit card to make ATM withdrawals and transactions abroad?
You can make only domestic withdrawals and transactions with the regular RuPay debit card. However, if a customer avails the RuPay Global card with Discover, or the Pulse and Diner Network logos, they can make withdrawals and transactions abroad at over 39 million POS locations and 1.8 million plus ATMs.
3. Should I carry out the registration process for all E-commerce websites that I shop on for the first time using the card?
No, doing the registration and activation process of the RuPay debit card once will be enough.
4. What should I do if my phone number is not registered with the bank? Can I still register and activate my RuPay debit card?
If your phone number is not registered with your bank, you will have to visit the bank and get it registered with them. If not, you can register your number at the bank ATM as well. Choose the register mobile number option when you swipe your card and enter your number.
5. What should I do if I’m not receiving the OTP?
If you haven’t received the OTP, click on the resend OTP option and wait for a few minutes for it to be sent. If you still do not receive the number, contact your bank, verify your mobile number and ask them to rectify the problem.