With credit/debit card fraud on the rise year after year, State Bank of India has rolled out a card protection plan that will help safeguard the savings of customers in the case of card theft or fraud. Some of the benefits of the State Bank of India Card Protection Plan are listed below.
Features and benefits of SBI card protection plan
SBI’s card protection plan has a dedicated customer care unit that will help customers block their credit/debit card if their card has been stolen or lost. The CPP (Card Protection Plan) 24-hour helpline numbers are - 1800-419-4000 (toll-free) or 6000-4000 (add the city STD code before the number).
- In case of emergencies, the international helpline to block one’s debit/credit card is +91 92124 44000.
- With just one call to the customer care unit, one can get their card blocked.
For customers who have lost their credit/debit card while on an international trip, CPP offers them hotel and travel assistance:
- Payment of hotel bills upto Rs.1.6 lakh.
- Customers that have opted for CPP with State Bank of India can book travel tickets upto Rs.1.6 lakh - even after losing their credit/debit card.
- For customers in India, they will get emergency cash assistance upto Rs.20,000.
- SBI customers who have opted for CPP can enroll their family members as well. Those with the Platinum Card Protection Plan can enroll up to 4 family members.
- Customers having a savings/current account can facilitate the SMS2Talk service. Here, all that customers have to do is to type CPP and send the SMS to 56767. As soon as the message has been sent, the CPP customer care unit will call the customer.
- SBI customers who have opted for CPP are eligible for fraud protection. This complimentary add-on ensures that customers are covered in the case of loss/theft, online usage and PIN based frauds, skimming, counterfeiting, phishing, etc. Customers get a Rs.3 lakh cover for a period of 15 days.
- SBI’s CPP also has a PAN card replacement service. For customers enrolled with SBI’s CPP, they can have their PAN card replaced if they have lost it - free of cost.
- Customers can block their SIM if their phone has been stolen.
- Dedicated case officer who will help customers when their credit/debit card has been stolen or for those who have lost their PAN card. The case officer will guide the customer through the whole process of getting their card blocked and replaced.
- Customers enrolled with SBI’s CPP can attach CPP key fobs to their key rings or reminder stickers if they have lost their luggage while travelling. By doing so, SBI’s CPP will assist the customers in locating their luggage.
- Customers can even register the details of their valuable documents such as passport, driving licence, share certificates, insurance policies, and so on, so that they can retrieve the details if they lose any of the above mentioned documents.
- Customers can even register their mobile number with SBI’s CPP in case they lose their phone or if it has been stolen. If possible, SBI’s CPP will help track the phone.
Members of SBI’s CPP can utilize the one year subscription of F-Secure Internet Security. Some of the benefits are:
- Comprehensive protection when surfing the internet, internet banking, etc.
- Net-banking and e-commerce transactions are protected with an addition layer of security.
- Child protection from harmful websites.
- Conceal one’s private information and credentials.
Additional insurance options for SBI Card Protection Plan members
SBI’s Card Protection Plan comes with additional insurance options for its members.
Hospital cash insurance:
- For every day spent in hospital, customers can avail a daily cash benefit up to Rs.3,500 for up to 6 months.
- The hospital cash facility is available for all dependents - spouse, children, parents, etc.
- Customers do not have to go through a medical examination to get the insurance coverage.
- Tax benefits under section 80D of the 1961 Income Tax Act.
- 10% discount on premiums if three or more people are covered.
Accident Shield Insurance:
- 5% increase in Sum Insured (SI) for every claim-free year. Subject to a maximum of 25%.
- In the case of permanent or total disability following an accident, customers are subject to a fixed monthly benefit of Rs.20,000.
- Customers can pay the premium in installments.
- Medical examination during the application not required.
Family Health Floater:
- The whole family can be insured under one insurance package.
- 30 days pre-hospitalization and 60 days post-hospitalization coverage.
- 5% increase in SI for every claim-free year.
- Reimbursement of health check-ups up to Rs.1,500 for every insured member.
- Hassle-free claim settlement procedure.
- After 48 months of continuous coverage, even pre-existing diseases will be covered.
Details of SBI Card Protection Plan
|Benefits / Tier||Classic||Premium||Platinum|
|Annual Membership Fees(Inclusive of 15% Service Tax)||Rs.1,599||Rs.1,999||Rs.2,499|
|Additional members who can be covered||None||Spouse||Spouse and Parents|
|Emergency cash in India||Rs.5,000||Rs.20,000||Rs.20,000|
|Emergency hotel bills overseas||Rs.80,000||Rs.120,000||Rs.160,000|
|Emergency hotel bills in India||Rs.40,000||Rs.60,000||Rs.80,000|
|Emergency travel ticket overseas||Rs.80,000||Rs.120,000||Rs.160,000|
|Emergency travel ticket advance in India||Rs.40,000||Rs.60,000||Rs.80,000|
|Lost card fraud protection||Rs.1 lakh||Rs.2 lakh||Rs.3 lakh|
|Number of days covered prior to notification to the card issuer||15 days||15 days||15 days|
|Limit per card||Not Applicable||Not Applicable||Not Applicable|
|Lost phone reporting - SIM blocking||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|F-Secure Internet Security( single subscription)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Lost PAN card replacement service - Free||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Valuable document registration||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dedicated case officer||No||Yes||Yes|
|SMS to call-back service||No||Yes||Yes|
SBI Card Protection Plan FAQs
What is a card protection plan?
A card protection plan basically ensures that you are insured if your card happens to get lost or is stolen. The plan protects you against fraud and covers your expenses till you get a new credit/debit card.
What are the benefits of the SBI card protection plan?
- Just with one call to the customer care unit, customers can get their card blocked.
- SBI customers that have opted for CPP can enroll their family members as well. For those with the Platinum Card Protection Plan can enroll up to 4 family members.
I have a SBI Classic debit card, what is the premium for the Card Protection Plan?
The premium for the Card Protection Plan for the SBI Classic debit card is Rs.1,599.
Does the SBI Card Protection Plan come with added insurance?
Yes, the SBI Card Protection Plan comes with added insurance. The add-on insurance covers are hospital cash insurance, accident shield insurance and family welfare insurance.
I’m overseas and have lost my SBI Premium credit card. What coverage can I avail for stay and travel?
You can avail a coverage upto Rs.1.6 lakh for booking tickets and for hotel stays - in each case.