Ride more with less fuel
Proper bike maintenance is something you must do anyway. Not only is it instrumental in keeping you (and others) safe on the road, but it can also bump down your monthly petrol bills.
Follow the below recommendations and kick start a splendid ride on the road.
|1. How to Reduce Fuel consumption in Bike||2. DONT'S of fuel consumption||3. How To Get Best Mileage||4. Top Trending Articles|
DO'S of saving petrol:
- Driving at a steady speed is the tried and true way to save on fuel. Increasing and dropping the speed suddenly puts more pressure on the engine and the tank is empty in no time.
- Keeping up the right tyre pressure and adjusting drive chain tension the right way are important. Riding zig zag at top speed upset these factors and use up more fuel.
- See that your engine is always tuned and serviced frequently by a company authorized garage.
- Always maintain low emission levels.
DONT'S of fuel consumption:
- Do not keep the clutch lever hard-pressed when you are riding.
- Do not run the engine in low gear for prolonged time.
- Do not park your bike or two wheeler under direct sunlight as it leads to fuel vaporization.
- Do not keep brake pedal pressed when on the move.
- Do not increase the engine rpm through traffic stops. Turn down the engine if you have to wait more than 30 secs.
- Do not cover firth of air filter assemblage.
- Do not cover the engine in the front and sides as it can limit the air flow to the engine fins needed for air cooling. And high temperature leads to additional fuel usage.
Few Important tips to maintain low emission levels:
- Keep your spark plug clean and preserve stated space between electrodes.
- Always see that the air filter is clean.
- Keep the carburetor regulated at any company approved workshop.
- Do not fill engine oil more than necessary and stick to the replacement schedule.
- Never use adulterated petrol.
- You should get the emission level certified once every 3 months at any of the authorized emission checking centers.
How To Increase The Mileage Of Your Two-Wheeler
Riding a bike or a scooter for your daily commute saves a lot of time. Also, if you travel a long distance everyday, how to increase the mileage of your bike remains the prime question in your mind. Maintaining your bike properly, riding it in a way that it does not put more stress on the engine, and making it consume less fuel can be quite easy. Not only is it economical, it will also be very useful in keeping you safe on busy Indian roads.
Follow the tips and tricks mentioned below to make your two wheeler ride more economical and safe:
Proper Maintenance & Service:
Proper bike maintenance and timely servicing are of prime importance to keep the performance of your two-wheeler at optimum level. This would also result in improving the fuel efficiency of your vehicle as the gearbox and engine require lubrication to function without any stress. Getting your scooter serviced as prescribed in your motorcycle maintenance book is highly recommended. With oil change, optimising the level of coolant oil, and lubrication of chain, your vehicle can be optimised to perform at best efficiency. If you suspect your engine to be leaking oil, get it fixed as soon as possible.
Maintaining The Right Tyre Pressure:
It is also pertinent to keep the tyre pressure at recommended levels to increase the mileage of your scooter or bike. It is the rider’s duty to make sure that the tyres are inflated at pressure specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Usually, tyres have the suggested markings of the right tyre pressure. If you intend to carry extra load on your vehicle, check the bike manufacturer’s handbook for proper guidance. Maintaining correct tyre pressures will not only increase the life of your two-wheeler tyres but also improve the overall performance of your bike and the fuel efficiency.
Avoid Keeping the Engine Running Unnecessarily:
Leaving the engine running when your bike is parked or not in use can lead to wastage of fuel. It is important to shun the practice and turn off the ignition whenever the wait is more than 10 seconds. Now with every two-wheeler coming with a self-start button, turning off the engine should not be an issue. Also, the engines these days do not have to be warmed up in winters and you can drive around easily without revving up your engine excessively.
Avoid Clutch Override:
Excessive usage of clutch should be avoided as much as possible. A lot of two-wheeler riders tend to over-ride the clutch especially when not in use. This can consume a lot of fuel when it is not needed. In a bumper to bumper traffic situation, clutch over-riding can be easily avoided by using appropriate gears. This will also help you increase the life of the clutch plate and save on a significant amount of fuel.
To avoid stressing out your vehicle’s engine, you should change to higher gears in a swift manner. This will help your bike’s engine run comfortably and can increase the mileage of your bike or scooter in a significant way. Also, it should be kept in mind that the higher the speed of your vehicle, the higher will be the fuel consumption. A 150CC motorcycle can easily go up to 55-60 kmph range on third-gear. Going beyond the said speed will put stress on your engine and will lead to greater fuel loss. Over-speeding is not only dangerous to your life but will also reduce the fuel efficiency of your vehicle.
Use Good Quality Fuel:
Using good-quality, more refined oil will add to the life of your engine and will give you greater fuel efficiency. Although these fuels can be a bit expensive, it is surely worth spending on for the benefit it returns.
Well it might sound illogical as you cannot literally avoid traffic all the time. But riding in traffic does lead to a lot of fuel wastage which can be avoided in certain ways. Firstly, if you travel daily to a particular location, find out the route which has the least traffic. Also, there are certain times when the traffic is at its peak. If you start early, you would not have to end up in heavy traffic and be hard on your vehicle. Revving up hard in traffic can negatively affect your vehicle’s fuel efficiency and thus it is best to avoid traffic as much as possible. You may use GPS or radio traffic status to know the traffic conditions during a particular time.
Use Google Maps/GPS:
Using GPS can help you choose the shortest and best route which has the least traffic. While some may wonder how to use a GPS device while riding, there are several gadgets available these days that notify you about the available route options without disturbing your ride. You may use Bluetooth headphones to get audio instructions while riding.
Refuel Your Vehicle in The Morning:
When the temperature around is cooler, the fuel remains denser. As the temperatures rise in the noon, the fuel starts expanding. Thus, it is better to get your vehicle refuelled in the morning as it is a huge bang for your buck.
Most important of all, ride sensibly. Sudden acceleration or braking can adversely affect the performance of your vehicle. The practice also leads to a lot of fuel wastage. Riding at constant speeds and throttling the bike softly will not only add to the life of your vehicle but also help you save a significant amount of fuel.
Fuel economy has always been one of the biggest concerns among the bike and scooter owners in India, and the tips mentioned above can surely be a big saviour in riding your vehicles at optimum levels and make the most out of the fuel.
Read More Related Guides
- How to Calculate Two Wheeler Insurance Premium
- How to Change Two Wheeler Insurance
- How to Cancel Two Wheeler Insurance
- Safety Tips for Two Wheeler Driving
- How to Maintain Bike in Rainy Season
- How to Pick The Right Bike
- What is Third Party Two Wheeler Insurance?
- Ask Question While Buying a Used Bike
- What to Look for While Buying a Used Motorcycle
- Guide for Buying Used Motorcycle
- Why You Should Buy Two Wheeler Insurance
- Benefits of Two Wheeler Insurance Renewal
- Interesting Facts About Bike Safety
- Tips For Buying Used Bike Out of State
- Iffco Tokio Two Wheeler Insurance Claim Process
- How to Renew Lapsed Two Wheeler Insurance Policy Online?
- Declaration Value of Your Two Wheeler
- How to Transfer Two Wheeler Insurance
- Dos & Don’ts of Bike Riding
- Is Bike Insurance Mandatory in India?