Permanent Account Number (PAN) is a 10-digit alphanumeric code assigned to an income taxpayer in India. Non-Indian nationals can also apply for a PAN card if they are doing business in India. PAN is mandatory for financial transactions such as opening a bank account, cash deposit of Rs.50,000 and above, and more importantly, to file income tax returns.
As of July 1st, 2017, Aadhaar-PAN linking has become mandatory for e-filing your income tax returns. This step is taken to prevent individuals from using multiple PAN cards to evade tax. PAN card can also be used as a valid identity proof.
The front side of the PAN card consists of your Permanent Account Number (a unique 10-digit alphanumeric code), name, father’s name, date of birth, signature, and a Quick Response (QR) code. On the back of the card, the contact details of the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) is printed, so that lost and found PAN cards can be mailed to the NSDL.
How to apply for PAN card Update
Updating PAN card information can be done online and in a few steps. On the NSDL website or any other PAN card financial service website, customers can update their PAN card in a few simple steps. On the portal, customer can update their PAN card information, their personal information, their contact details, document proof, income source and current address information. Apart from updating their details, customers will have to upload a KYC document of their choice to validate the change in details of the PAN card.
Information that can be updated on a PAN card:
For those wishing to make updates or changes, they can make alterations to the the below mentioned areas.
PAN card information
- They can make changes to the PAN card holder’s name if he/she has changed their information recently.
- PAN card holders can make changes to their date of birth if their DOB is wrong on their existing card.
- Change in signature.
- Change the photo displayed on their PAN card.
- PAN card holders can link their Aadhaar to their PAN under this section.
- Change their father’s name.
- Can make a change/correction in their gender.
- Change their address of communication.
- PAN card holders can make changes to their first name, middle name or last name.
- Change their date of birth.
- Change their gender and marital status.
- Change of father’s name. The first name, middle name and last name will have to be entered.
- Change to their mobile number.
- Change to their email ID.
- Change of landline number.
- Choose proof of identification - Passport, driver’s license, Voter’s ID card, etc.
- Choose address proof - Passport, driver’s license, Voter’s ID card, etc.
- Date of birth proof - birth certificate, passport, etc.
- Office address proof - Appointment letter, salary slips, etc.
- Change of door number
- Name of premises/building
- Road or street
- State or Union territory
Finally, PAN card holders will have to make a declaration that the above mentioned details - identity proof, address proof, etc., are legitimate. Once this is done, they can submit the details and the updated information will be stored in the PAN card database.
Online verification of PAN card information
Visit www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Pages/tax-services/online-pan-verification.aspx for online verification of your PAN card information. Individual and bulk PAN card information can be verified using this online PAN verification facility. To verify one PAN card at a time, go to ‘Profile Settings’ and click on ‘My Profile' to view the details.
For bulk PAN verification, you have to first register as a 'Bulk PAN Verification Agency' at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. Go to 'Bulk PAN Query' and click on 'Upload Query'. Upload your query in the specified format and click on 'Submit', a token number will be generated. The status of the PAN uploaded through the query system will be displayed. Government and non-government agencies can perform online PAN verification on 'user pay' basis.
Check Other Banks Credit Card Limit Online 2018
- NSDL & UTIITSL Pan Verification Online
- Online PAN Verification
- Bulk Pan Verification
- Pan Card Acknowledgement Number Search
- Pan Card Information Update
- Pan Card Customer Care Number