According to Rule 114 (4) of Income Tax Rules, 1962, which lists the documents acceptable as proofs to apply for a new PAN card, employer certificate is listed as one of the documents that can be accepted as address proof.
Salaried individuals and people belonging to Hindu undivided family (HUF) category, can use employer certificate in original as address proof when they don’t have any other proofs of address.
Employer Certificate As Address Proof
Employer certificate is a written form in which the applicants’ employer certifies that the person is residing at a particular address and the same has been verified.
Typically, companies, as part of their recruitment process, conduct background check during which they also do address verification. With the same assurance, they certify that their employee is residing in the same address.
The Income Tax Department also considers it as valid proof as any mismatch of information would make the employer liable and no employer would take such risks.
Employer Certificate For Pan Application – Annexure-b
Applicants who wish to use employer certificate as address proof for applying PAN card need not have to get everything on their own. They can use the pre-described format to do the same.
Employer certificate for PAN application is available as ‘Annexure-B’ under PAN application forms. The employer needs to provide a certificate in the similar format on the original letter head of the organisation/institution, where the applicant is working.
Certificates of any other generic formats are not accepted.
How To Download Annexure-b Pan Form
Annexure-B or employer certificate for PAN application can be downloaded from both UTI Infrastructure Technology (UTI ITSL) website and Tax Information Network of IT Department (TIN-NSDL) website.
- In UTI-ITSL website, you can find the form under Services > PAN card > Apply for a new PAN card > Annexure B.
- In TIN-NSDL website, you can find Annexure B form under Downloads > PAN.
Details Required To Fill Annexure-b Pan Form
- The employer should provide the authorisation certificate on the company’s original letter head
- Applicant needs to be affix a passport size photograph, similar to the one used on PAN application.
- The photo should be attested by the employer with the concerned signature and stamp
- Details to be filled-in include applicant’s name, father’s name, years of experience with the organisation, office address, residential address, registration number of the company/institution, PAN number of the company institution/company, details of the individual issuing the certificate including his/her full name, designation, PAN number of the individual, office address, telephone and mobile number.
- It should have signature of the concerned individual at the bottom along with office seal.
The duly filled-in and attested form should then be attached and submitted along with your PAN application.
When Can You Use Annexure-b As Address Proof?
Imagine you have moved to a new house/city. Getting an address proof immediately is not that easy. In such cases, you can use Annexure-B as a proof of address.
The form can also be used as a proof of office address as the employer also mentions the company address in the form.
Other Acceptable Address Proofs To Apply For Pan Card
Just as a refresher, here is the list of documents that can be used as address proof to apply for PAN card. Unlike Annexure-B, applicants can submit copy of the proofs not the originals.
- Aadhaar card
- Elector’s photo identity card
- Driving license
- Electricity bill (not more than three months old)
- Landline telephone or broadband connection bill (not more than three months old)
- Water bill (not more than three months old)
- Consumer gas connection card or book or piped gas bill (not more than three months old)
- Bank account statement (not more than three months old)
- Depository account statement (not more than three months old)
- Credit card statement (not be more than three months old)
- Domicile certificate issued by the Government
- Passport of the spouse
- Post office passbook having address of the applicant
- Latest property tax assessment order and
- Property registration document