The Sukanya Samriddhi Account has been introduced to ensure that the girl child is not left behind. The scheme aims to provide financial security to a girl till the time that she gets married. The Sukanya Samriddhi Account scheme is meant for girl children below the age of 10 years. The account matures in 21 years before which it is in a lock-in period where funds cannot be withdrawn.
Sukanya Samriddhi Account Interest Rate
The Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a new scheme launched in the year 2014 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Sukanya Samriddhi Account scheme was launched with an initial interest rate of 9.10% p.a. compounded annually. This has been increased to 9.20% p.a. for the current fiscal 2015-16.Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana interest rate is revised on a yearly basis and hence for FY 2016-17 it has been revised 8.6%.
Sukanya Samriddhi Interest Rate vs PPF, FD and RD
The comparison of Sukanya Samriddhi interest rate with other popular savings instruments such as PPF, RD and FD is shown below:
|Scheme||Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana||Public Provident Fund (PPF)||Fixed Deposit||Recurring Deposit|
|Interest rate (Fy: 2016-17)||8.60% p.a.||8.10% p.a.||6-9% p.a.||8.40%|
Salient Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Flexible deposit amounts: The account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs.1,000 and in multiples of Rs.100 thereafter. A maximum of Rs.1.5 lakhs can be deposited per account every year.
- Tax exemption: Depositors stand to receive exemptions up to Rs.1.5 lakhs p.a. as per Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Partial withdrawal: Partial withdrawal of up to 50% of account balance can be claimed once the account holder turns 18, allowing her to pursue higher education on her own.
- Documentation: Minimal documentation requirement which includes birth certificate of girl child and identity and address proof of depositor.
- Transferability: The account can be transferred to any of the bank branches across India that accept Sukanya Samriddhi Account openings. The RBI has listed 28 banks apart from post office branches which can operate Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts.
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Post Office
- Age Limit under the Sukanya Samriddhi Account Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Eligibility
- How to Check Sukanya Samriddhi Account Balance
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Premature Withdrawal
- How to Transfer Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Allahabad Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Andhra Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Bank of Baroda Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sbbj Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SBP Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Uco Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Union Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Vijaya Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- List of Banks Offering Sukanya Samriddhi Savings Account
- Punjab and Sind Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rules Relating To Sukanya Samriddi Account Yojana
- United Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rbi Rules For Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening
- Alternative Birth Certificate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya samriddhi Yojana Account For OCI And PIO
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Fixed Deposit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Public Provident Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Recurring Deposit