Sukanya Samriddhi Account has been introduced to ensure that the girl child is not left behind. The scheme aims to provide financial security to a girl till the time that she gets married. The Sukanya Samriddhi Account scheme is meant for girl children below the age of 10 years. The account matures in 21 years before which it is in a lock-in period where funds cannot be withdrawn.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a new scheme launched in the year 2014 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Sukanya Samriddhi Account scheme was launched with an initial interest rate of 9.10% p.a. for the year 2017-2018. This has been increased to 9.20% p.a. for the current fiscal 2015-16.Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana interest rate is revised on a yearly basis and hence for FY 2016-17 it has been revised 8.6%.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 8.1%.
Salient Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Flexible deposit amounts: The account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs.250 and in multiples of Rs.100 thereafter. A maximum of Rs.1.5 lakhs can be deposited per account every year.
- Tax exemption: Depositors stand to receive exemptions up to Rs.1.5 lakhs p.a. as per Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Partial withdrawal: Partial withdrawal of up to 50% of account balance can be claimed once the account holder turns 18, allowing her to pursue higher education on her own.
- Documentation: Minimal documentation requirement which includes birth certificate of girl child and identity and address proof of depositor.
- Transferability: The account can be transferred to any of the bank branches across India that accept Sukanya Samriddhi Account openings. The RBI has listed 28 banks apart from post office branches which can operate Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts.
Sukanya Samriddhi Account Interest Rate 2017-18
The Government has ensured that the Sukanya Samriddhi Account Interest rate is lucrative enough for parents to be encouraged to invest more for the future security of the girl child. The interest rate for the financial year 2018-2019 is 8.1%. The interest rate pertaining to the current financial year 2017-18 is 8.4%, and it is compounded on an annual basis. This is also the best interest rate among other savings schemes, including PPF.
Effectively, the parent gets a competitive interest rate on the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account, in addition to a tax exemption under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961. There is no other deposit scheme in the country that offers such a high rate of interest, tax exemption, and security for the girl child.
The SSA interest rate change chart is as shown below:
|S.No||Financial Year||Assessment Year||Interest Rate||Minimum Amount Limit (Rs.)||Maximum Amount Limit (Rs.)|
|1||Q3 of 2017-18||Q3 of 2018-19||8.1||Rs.250||Rs.1.5 lakh|
|2||Q2 of 2017-18||Q2 of 2018-19||8.1||Rs.1,000||Rs.1.5 lakh|
|3||Q1 of 2017-18||Q1 of 2018-19||8.1||Rs.1,000||Rs.1.5 lakh|
|4||Q4 of 2016-17||Q4 of 2017-18||8.4||Rs.1000||Rs.1.5 lakh|
|5||Q3 of 2016-17||Q3 of 2017-18||8.5||Rs.1000||Rs.1.5 lakh|
|6||Q2 of 2016-17||Q2 of 2017-18||8.6||Rs.1000||Rs.1.5 lakh|
|7||Q1 of 2016-17||Q1 of 2017-18||8.6||Rs.1000||Rs.1.5 lakh|
The comparison of Sukanya Samriddhi interest rate with other popular savings instruments such as PPF, RD and FD is shown below:
|Scheme||Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana||Public Provident Fund (PPF)||Fixed Deposit||Recurring Deposit|
|Interest rate (Fy: 2017-18)||8.1% p.a.||7.6% p.a.||6.4 - 6.75% p.a.||6.4 - 7.25% p.a.|
Benefits of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Apart from the higher interest rates, some of the other Sukanya Samriddhi scheme Benefits are as follows:
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Tax benefits under section 80C.
- The account can be transferred anywhere in India.
- The minimum amount that needs to be deposited on an annual basis is very low, i.e., Rs.250 per year.
- The girl child will be able to operate the account after the attainment of 10 years.
- The girl child will receive the proceeds when the account matures.
The SSA is unique in the fact that it is a scheme that offers financial security and growth, in addition to creating an awareness on the well-being of the girl child.
Sukanya Samriddhi 9.2% Interest: Maturity Amt. Calculation
The application process for the Sukanya Samriddhi scheme is very simple and requires the parents of the child to submit certain documents, such as:
- Account Opening Form
- Birth Certificate of the child
- Address and proof of identity of the legal guardian
The amount that the child receives on maturity of the policy is totally tax-free. There will also be no tax on the investments made towards the scheme.
If you are the parent of a girl child who has decided to invest in this scheme, the maturity amount that you can avail when you start contributing from the financial year 2015-16 is as follows. The interest rate considered for this calculation is 9.2%.
|Investment amount each year for 14 years, starting from 2015 till 2028 (Rs.)||Maturity amount received after 21 years (Rs.)|
SIP Vs Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Since the investment period for a Systematic Investment Plan(SIP) and the Sukanya Samriddhi Account are long-term, there have been many a debate on which is the best investment channel to avail maximum benefits in the future.
SIP is a method of investing in the stock market through mutual funds on a regular scale, whereas, the investment in SSA is 100% debt-based. When you invest in the stock market for an extended period of time, i.e., more than 14 years, historical data reflects that the returns are huge. These returns not only tackle inflation, but also help your money grow. However, these investments are subject to market risks. In the case of a debt investment tool such as SSA, the interest rate is flexible; so in the long run, the returns may not be able to meet the inflation and tax. But the element of risk in a debt-based investment is very low. So, this channel of investment is ideal for individuals who are not willing to endure stock market risks.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SSY Canara Bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Documents Required
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana NRI
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Tax Exemption
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Post Office
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Online Check
- Online Transfer to SSY
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojaa Bank List
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund
- SBI sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Passbook
- Bank of Baroda Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Eligibility
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Fixed Deposit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account For OCI And PIO
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Bank of Maharashtra Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Union Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Premature Withdrawal
- Indian Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Central Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Uco Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- SSY Calculator
- SSY Mobile Application
- Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Axisbank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In SBH
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In State Bank Of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Allahabad Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Andhra Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sbbj Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SBP Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Vijaya Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rules Relating To Sukanya Samriddi Account Yojana
- United Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rbi Rules For Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening
- Alternative Birth Certificate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Public Provident Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Recurring Deposit
- ICICI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account