EPF balance is the amount that is there in your EPF Account. EPF balance consists of amount deducted every month from your salary plus the amount that is contributed to your EPF account by your employer. Knowing your EPF balance can be a good indicator of your retirement savings.
Established in the year 1952 by the Government of India, the Employees Provident Fund Organisation was set up to help the citizens of India and working individuals save for the future. Controlled by the Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India, since 2013, the EPFO has its own online portal where subscribers can check their balance in their PF account, make withdrawals or take a loan against their PF corpus. Now, employees enrolled in the scheme can check PF balance in the following ways:
- Via SMS
- Via the missed call service
- By using their UAN
- On the EPF portal
- via the EPF mobile app
Steps to Check EPF Balance Online
Back in the day, subscribers had to visit the regional EPF office to check PF balance but now, the whole process can be done in a few clicks. To check PF balance online, subscribers have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the EPFO website - http://www.epfindia.gov.in/
- Enter the EPF regional office closest to you or holding your account. For those who do not know, the first two letters of your PF number represent your EPF regional office, while the next three letters is the code for the PF office.
- Now, enter your name, registered mobile number and your PF number. Note, your PF number is displayed on your salary slip - in case of any doubt. Enter the PF number in the following format - TN/MAS/0054222/000/0000111.
- Click on “submit” once all the required fields have been entered.
- Once that is done, your EPF balance will be sent to your registered mobile via SMS. The message should reach you within 5 minutes.
- Click on “download EPF passbook”.
Steps to Check PF Balance via UAN
Since the introduction of the UAN (Universal Account Number), employees can manage all their
PF accounts as one. Subscribers can also make withdrawals from their PF accounts without the attestation of their employers using the UAN.
Steps to follow check EPF balance using UAN:
- Log on to the EPF portal.
- Click on “activate your login”.
- Click on the box “I have understood the instructions”.
- Enter your UAN.
- Next, enter your registered mobile number.
- Enter your regional EPF office code.
- Enter the captcha code and click on “submit”.
- Once this is done, the balance in your PF account and your PIN will be sent by SMS to your registered mobile number within a few minutes.
- Click on “view passbook” or “download passbook” to view a detailed statement.
Steps to Check EPF Balance via SMS or Missed Call
Apart from checking PF balance EPF online portal, subscribers can also check their balance via SMS or missed call. For this to happen, subscribers will be required to have an active UAN number and their KYC details including their registered mobile number seeded with their UAN account.
How to Check PF balance via SMS?
Once the employee has seeded his KYC documents seeded with his/her UAN account, all they have to do is SMS their details in the following format - EPFOHO UAN ENG - to 7738299899. Note, ENG stands for English - if English is the language of preference. Once the message has been sent, the subscriber will receive a message with the details of his/her PF balance.
Read more about Check PF Balance By SMS
How to Check EPF balance via Missed Call?
Here too, one’s KYC documents will have to be integrated to his/her UAN account number to facilitate this service. Once that is done, all that the subscriber has to do is to give a missed call to 011-22901406. The subscriber will then receive a text message of the PF balance on his/her registered mobile number.
Steps to Check PF Balance via Mobile App
To enhance the convenience of their subscribers, the EPFO has launched their very own mobile app. All that the subscribers have to do to is to firstly download the app from EPFO website and register themselves using their PF account number and KYC details.
Steps to follow check EPF balance using the EPF mobile app:
- Download the app and click on member on the app’s homepage.
- On clicking the member option, enter your UAN and after choosing the balance/passbook option.
- Now, enter your registered mobile number.
- If the mobile number is displayed as incorrect, enter other details such as mobile number, Aadhaar card, etc.
- choose the view “EPF passbook” option if one wishes to view statements of the last 7 months.
- Once the details have been entered, the mobile app will display the balance in the employee’s PF account.
Steps to Download EPF Passbook
Employees can check the balance in their PF account by downloading the EPF passbook either on the EPFO member portal or on the UAN portal. The passbook displays the contribution of both the employee and the employer.
How to Download the PF Passbook on the UAN Portal?
Subscribers can follow the steps mentioned below to download EPF passbook from the UAN portal.
- Visit the UAN portal.
- Enter your 12-digit UAN.
- Click on “download passbook” on the UAN homepage.
- Once this is done, the page will display the balance in the PF account and the contributions made by both the employee and the employer.
How to Download EPF Passbook on the EPFO Member Portal?
Employees can login EPFO portal either by using their PF number or registered mobile number, date of birth, Aadhaar card number, etc. One the employee has logged into his PF account, he/she should simply click on the “download passbook” option to view their balance in the account. The passbook will display the contributions made by both the employee and the employer for the last 7 months and the total accumulation in the account.
Things to Remember when Checking your EPF Balance:
- Employees can use only their registered mobile number to login to their account.
- Only one PF account can be viewed by a single mobile number (that has been registered with the account).
- Employees can submit multiple proof of identity when registering their account. In this way, any of their identity numbers can be used to login to their account.
Things to Remember when making EPF Balance Transfer
- Employees can transfer their PF balance from one account to another that is held by them and not another person.
- Once the account has been opened for a minimum of 6 months, the employee can can transfer his/her EPS (Employee’s Pension Scheme) balance as well.
- All the details (name, date of birth, father’s name, etc.) of both accounts should be the same to facilitate the transfer.
- Once the employee decides to make the transfer, the whole amount has to be transferred from the old account to the new one. Partial transfer of the PF balance cannot be made.
- EPFO has also launched an online submission system to facilitate the transfer of provident funds. For withdrawal of EPF amount, members can apply through their current or previous employer.
Eligibility for EPF Scheme
Employees earning more than Rs.6,500 a month are eligible to subscribe for the Employee’s Provident Fund scheme. That said, it is mandatory for employers having more than 20 employees in their company to be enrolled in the scheme.
Overview about UMANG App
Set up recently by the Government of India, the UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-Age Governance) app helps the citizens of India manage most government services seamlessly. Through the app, customers can subscriber to different schemes and can manage their contributions and withdrawals (if required) efficiently. All that customers have to do is to download the app and link their Aadhaar card when registering themselves. In addition, customers can facilitate the use of the UMANG customer service between 8am and 8 p.m for any grievance redressal, complaints, requests or help using the app.
Features and Benefits of UMANG App
- Customers enrolled in the EPF scheme can carry out processes through the UMANG app. Customers can download their EPF Passbook, make PF claim (for withdrawals or settlements), track the status of your claim and so on using this app. Subscribers can also claim their PF final settlement, make a partial withdrawal or a pension withdrawal. That said, in the case of claim settlement, subscribers need to update their Aadhaar to carry out the process.
- Citizens of India can use the UMANG app to apply for a new PAN. All that the customer needs to do when applying for the PAN is to submit their Aadhaar card details as part of the e-KYC verification process. Once customers have applied for the PAN, they can check the status of their application through the app.
- For those enrolled in the NPS (National Pension System) they can check the status of their account and the accumulation of their pension, their account details, and all the recent contributions made towards the scheme, through this app. You can also apply for change in the address some of the services using this app. Also, you can change the schemes under NPS using this app.
- Those receiving pension can generate their digital life certificate or jeevan praman through the UMANG app.
- Citizens looking for a job can register themselves under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana using this app. For example, the Government of Gujarat has integrated the Online Job Application System (OJAS) with UMANG to give people government job opportunities.
For those who do not know, more than 100 government services are accessible through UMANG app and more services will be available once the revised version is rolled out the Government of India.
EPF Contributions at the Rate of 10%
PF contributions at 10% rate is applicable for people working in the following establishments:
- A company with less than 20 employees on its payroll
- Any organization that suffers losses equal to its entire net worth
- Establishments coming under Jute, Beedi, Brick, Coir, and Guar Gum industries
- Any other establishment decided by the Board of industrial and Financial Reconstruction
Transfer EPF Balance Online
The introduction of the UAN has made the process of EPF balance transfers seamless and transparent. As soon as the employee requests for a transfer, both the old and current employee will receive a notification to attest the transfer. On approval, the transfer will be processed within 2 weeks.
EPF Balance for Inoperative Accounts
According to a notification issued by Government in November 2016, even the dormant accounts will continue to accrue interests and it will not be classified as inoperative anymore. EPFO had stopped paying interest to dormant accounts since 2011. But once the new amendment comes into effect, all inoperative accounts will receive interests at the rate of 8.8% per annum. Earlier, accounts turned inoperative chiefly due to two reasons—the cumbersome processes involved in EPF transfer and employees preferring to open new accounts while switching jobs. Communication gap between current and previous employers of an individual also contributes largely to the same. In cases where employees are unable to track the details of their old inoperative accounts, they can approach the EPFO help-desk and get the balance in those accounts transferred to the current one.
New EPF Withdrawal Forms for Easy Claims
EPFO has released new forms that facilitate the withdrawal of provident fund amount without employer attestation. These forms are known as Form 19 UAN, Form 10C UAN, and Form 31 UAN respectively. This particular move by government has trimmed down the complex procedures involved while making claims and EPF transfers. Using the new EPF forms, employees can apply for final claim settlement, full withdrawal, partial withdrawal, and loans. Form 19 UAN is applicable in cases where an employee resigns from service or employer terminates the employment agreement. Form 10C UAN is used for making claims related to EPS and Form 31 is associated with partial withdrawals or advances. The preconditions for EPF withdrawal without employer signature are as follows:
- Form 11 of the employee should already be available in EPFO records
- He/she must have a valid UAN
- The bank details and Aadhaar number should be available in KYC data
If an employee doesn’t meet the above mentioned criteria, he/she will have to make claims using the regular EPF forms—Form 19, Form 10C and Form 31.
Provident Fund Rules for Railway Employees
Each railway employee contributes 8.5% of his salary towards State Railway Provident Fund Account and this is inclusive of General Provident Fund (GPF) deductions. Voluntary PF contributions can be made subject to the condition that maximum fund recovered should not exceed balance amount. Employees are eligible to withdraw the accumulated PF amount on various occasions and the withdrawal can either be partial or full. The EPF balance of railway employees is maintained by the railway accounts department. For more details, visit the Railway Employees Information System (REIS) portal.
Name Mismatch In EPF Account
One of the most worrying problems for employees while checking EPF status is to find a name spelled incorrectly. This however does not require much effort on the part of EPF member, and he/she can get it rectified with a few quick steps. Employees should submit an EPF name correction form along with employer’s statement and other supporting documents such as PAN card, Aadhaar card, voter id, or bank account passbook. The name change application should be addressed to the EPFO commissioner specifying the errors found in the existing employee credentials. EPFO has also introduced an option for reporting problems online, which is in its testing stage. Once the error reporting section of the website is finalized, EPF members can login with their UAN and submit an online application for name correction.
EPF Customer Care
EPFO has launched various mobile and web based services to solve account related queries and to help customers know their EPF status with ease. You may register your grievances by dialing the EPFO India helpline number 1800118005. The PF regulator is also strengthening its social media presence to handle grievances and requests from members. Currently, both Facebook and Twitter handle of EPFO is receiving suggestions, feedback, complaints, all of which are attended within 24 hours by the officials of regional centers. As of May 2016, the Facebook page and Twitter account of EPFO have around 3500 and 700 followers respectively. The social networking platform comes as an additional support to the online public grievance addressing system of regional EPF centers. You can get information about regional offices by visiting the EPFO website.
Tax Deductions for EPF Accounts With and Without PAN
Government has introduced a new section in the Finance Act 2015, whereby PF withdrawals will be subjected to tax deductions. It has also increased the threshold of PF withdrawals from Rs.30,000 to Rs.50,000. As per the new rule, all withdrawals over Rs.50,000 will be taxable at source if the employee has served for less than 5 years. Even individuals below the taxable income range will have to ante up 34% towards ‘PF withdrawal tax’. However, if the EPF account of the employee is linked with PAN, then the rate of deductions will be 10% per annum, and for those without PAN it will be straight 34.6%. If an EPF member has filed a declaration using Form 15G or H at the time of joining, tax deductions will not be applicable for withdrawals below Rs.2,50,000. It is also to be noted that PF amounts withdrawn owing to bad health, business failure, or any such emergencies are exempted from the above rule. Therefore, it is ideal that you save your taxes by securing your EPF balance with PAN number.
EPFO Digital Signatures for Employers
Center has urged all organizations covered under the EPF scheme to apply for digital signatures. In a statement issued by EPFO, it was notified that all establishments should submit the required documents after signing them digitally. This will serve as a medium for easy verification of UAN data. Employers can upload their digital signatures through the Online Transfer Claim Portal (OTCP) of EPFO. Organizations exempted from the EPF scheme are required to file e-returns on a periodic basis.
How to Download EPF Balance Slips
At the end of each salary period, annual statements of PF accounts will be made available in the EPFO website, which can be downloaded by employers through the E-Sewa portal. Discussed below is a step by step process to download EPF balance statement.
- In your web browser type the url http://epfindia.gov.in/
- In the EPFO home page, click on the link “For Employers”
- Further under the services listed in the page, select “ECR/Challan Submission”
- It will navigate to the “Employer E-Sewa” page
- Click on the “Employer E-Sewa” link given in the page and sign in using your credentials
- In the downloads tab, select download PF slips and choose your desired located to save the pdf.
EPF Tax Exemption
According to Budget 2016-17 announcement, PF withdrawal will continue to be exempted from tax and only the interest accruing on 60% of employee contributions after 1 April, 2016 will be taxable. The remaining 40% of PF corpus will be excluded from tax under recognized PF and NPS. However, the aforementioned rule is not applicable to employees whose monthly income is below Rs.15,000.
Government Initiative to Enhance EPF Membership
EPFO is expected to launch a massive drive throughout the country in 2017 with aim to increase member enrollments. The regulator had already conducted awareness campaigns underscoring Aadhaar issuance and bank account opening. According to a survey, only 50% of the EPF contributors have a valid bank account. In light of the same, EPFO has directed regional offices to ensure that all employee provident fund accounts are linked with Aadhaar number and bank account. Also, a centralized system for maintenance of all EPF related information is underway.
EPF Claim Settlement
Government has issued guidelines on PF settlements under which all death claims will be settled within 7 days from the date of application and retirement claims before the date of retirement. EPFO has also directed all field offices and officials to examine the requests and guide the claimants regarding essential documents to support the claim.
- EPF Balance
- EPF Claim Status
- EPF Interest Rate
- How to Transfer PF Amount
- Provident Fund Rules
- SBI EPF
- Gratuity Calculator
- EPF Account Withdrawal Fraud
- EPF Money after Resignation
- EPF Life Insurance
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- EPFO into Equities
- New EPF Withdrawal Form
- Unclaimed EPF Account
- EPFO Stock Market Investment
- How to Access UAN Account after Changing the Mobile Number
- How to Change EPF Nomination Online
- Claiming PF from Inactive EPF Accounts
- EPF vs EPS
- EPF Claim after the Death of a Subscriber
- EPF vs NPS
- EPF vs PPF
- GPF Amount Withdrawals
- Claim 100% EPF at 60 Years
- Breakup of EPF Contribution
- EPF Contribution in Basic Salary
- Centre Cracks Down on EPF
- Employee Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme
- EPF e-Passbook
- Employee Pension Scheme
- File an RTI for EPF Withdraw or Transfer
News about How to Check Your EPF Balance Online
Government reduced interest rates on its schemes
In what could be a set back to millions of subscribers, the Government has reduced the interest rate by 0.2% for all Government schemes - including Public Provident Fund (PPF) and Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP), by 0.2 percentage point for the fourth quarter of the fiscal. According to a source, the PPF and NSCs will earn 7.6 per cent interest from January 1, 2018, while KVPs will earn even less (7.3 per cent), a Finance Ministry notification said on Wednesday. Prior to the reduction, the PPF, NSC and KVP were offering 7.8, 7.8 and 7.5 per cent interest, respectively. In addition, while the Senior Citizens Savings Scheme of five-year period will offer 8.3 percent interest, the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana for the girl child will now offer 8.1 per cent. Lastly, the government retained the interest on savings deposits at 4 percent, compounded annually.
29th December 2017
Government of India all set to roll out Gratuity Bill
In what would be a relief for all workers, the Government is all set to roll out a gratuity act. According to the Lok Sabha, the Payment of Gratuity (Amendment) Bill, 2017 was introduced by labour minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar in the House, amid continued sloganeering by opposition members and counter-slogans by those of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). The act was enacted to provide for gratuity payment to employees engaged in factories, mines, oilfields, plantations, ports, railway companies, shops or other establishments. It is applicable to employees who have completed at least five years of continuous service in an establishment that has ten or more persons. Apparently, the proposal comes against the backdrop of the Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Act, 2017 enhancing the maximum maternity leave period to 26 weeks. The Lok Sabha responded by saying that it is therefore proposed to empower the central government to enhance the period of existing twelve weeks to such period as may be notified by it. The Lok Sabha ended the session by saying that It has also been proposed to empower the central government to notify the ceiling proposed, instead of amending the said Act, so that the limit can be revised from time to time keeping in view the increase in wage and inflation, and future Pay Commissions.
29th December 2017
EPF subscribers can now register a grievance and track claim online
A sigh of relief for more than 4.5 crore subscribers, now they can register a grievance and track a claim on the EPFO member portal. Employees enrolled in the scheme no longer have to visit their regional PF office to register a grievance as everything can be done online. Members have to visit the EPFO portal choose the grab to grievance tab to register an issue. To track the claim once the grievance has been registered, subscribers have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the EPFO member portal.
- Click on the “our services” tab and choose “for employees”.
- Click on the “services” tab.
- Select the “know your claim status” tab.
- You will be directed to the claim status link.
- Enter the state of your PF office once you are on the claim status link.
- Choose your PF office from the list displayed.
- Enter your establishment code.
- Enter your EPF account number.
- Click on the “submit” button to check your PF claim status.
28th December 2017
Link your Aadhaar to your UAN, PAN through your smartphone
Following the Government of India’s digitization move, the EPFO is now provided all its services through smartphones. According to a statement released by the EPFO, they are all set to allow its customers to link their Aadhaar card to their PAN and UAN through its smartphone app. Commenting on the matter, Central Provident Fund Commissioner V P Joy, said that the EPFO will be a paperless organisation by August 15, 2018, with complete digitisation of its operations. Moreover, our focus would be on providing all services to our members and pensioners through smart mobile phones anywhere, anytime." The PF body, Joy further said, has planned to put in place a service in a week that will allow the users to link their Aadhaar with PF accounts using mobile phones. Added to that, he said that the EPFO would shortly provide a service to members to generate Universal Account Number (UAN) using mobile phones. At present, this service is available online.
20 December 2017
No spike in pension for exempted firm employees
With the Supreme Court ordering the spike in pension contributions for employees with a salary over and above the upper limit of Rs.6,500, the EPFO has agreed with the mandate but has also said that employees from exempted firms will not be included in the pension raise. As per a source, employers and employees contribute 12% each of the sum that is the total of the basic wage plus dearness allowance to the employee’s provident fund account. The employer’s contribution has a twin component: 8.33% goes to the Employee Pension Scheme and the remaining 3.67% goes to the provident fund account. This was originally subject to a salary ceiling of Rs.5,000. The ceiling was revised to Rs.6,500 in 2001 and further to Rs.15,000 in 2014. Since the earlier pension was capped at a salary of Rs Rs.5,000 and Rs.6,500 respectively, the surplus contribution made by the employers has gone to the PF account. After the Supreme Court ruling, even if an employee has already withdrawn his PF after retirement, the surplus amount with interest can be deposited into the pension account. This will ensure a higher monthly pension.
20 December 2017
EPFO readies to give pension hikes
Following the ruling of the Supreme Court, the EPFO is all set to give out hike in pensions for its subscribers. According to a source, the EPFO came out with a circular allowing member of EPS who had contributed on higher wages exceeding Rs 6,500 to divert 8.33 percent of salary exceeding Rs 6,500 to the pension fund, and subsequently be eligible for pension on higher salary. In a recent statement released by the EPFO, it has been brought to the notice that Writ Petitions have been filed in different High Courts by the employees of exempted establishments challenging the circular dated 3 1-05-2017. In this connection it is informed that a Transfer Petition has been filed in the Hon'ble Supreme Court to transfer all the Writ Petitions filed in various High Courts to the Supreme Court for deciding the subject matter.
4 December 2017
EPF interest rate may be lowered for 2017-2018
With the current interest rate being 8.65 per cent, the EPFO has hinted that the interest rate might fall even lower in the coming months. According to a source, the EPFO is likely to cut interest rate on the grounds that it is directly crediting exchange traded funds (ETF) units into provident fund accounts and lower yields on other investments, particularly bonds. According to an official of the EPFO, Employees Provident Fund Organisation may cut rate of return on provident fund deposits for 2017-18 due to lower income on bonds and its plan to credit ETF investments directly into the account of subscribers. The official added by saying that the EPF is still to work out the income projection for the current fiscal, which would become the basis for crediting rate of interest in subscribers account for this fiscal.
29 November 2017
EPF number portability not a possibility before 2019
A setback for the EPF committee, after objection from the Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (BMS), it seems that EPF number portability to the NPS scheme seems almost unlikely before 2019. According to Labour minister Bandaru Dattatreya, PF number portability was seen as a progressive reform initiative by the government. Both EPFO and NPS authorities were on board to effect the change. But popular opposition is holding back the ministry. He added by saying that the employees of the establishments to whom the (EPF) Act applies shall have an option for joining the New Pension Scheme of the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA), by submitting application to the Commissioner in such form and in such manner as may be specified in the Scheme. Santosh Gangwar, the new labour minister, ended the conference by saying that Since the issue is politically sensitive, he will take his own time. Besides, in the last few months, trade unions, especially RSS-affiliate BMS has been opposing it vehemently, holding back the ministry. It may not happen till 2019.
23 November 2017
Umang App Allows EPF Passbook, Balance Check
The EPFO (Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation) has made its services available on the app “Umang”. This app is available for download on Google Play, Windows Store, and iOS App Store. Launched by the Electronics and IT Ministry, Umang is platform that merges different government services like Aadhaar, gas booking, crop insurance, NPS, and EPF. Once the app is installed and initialized on your mobile, you can find the EPFO option from the app’s home page via the ‘Employee Centric Services’ option.
Currently, Umang app’s EPFO section provides 3 services. Viewing passbook; raising claims for partial withdrawal, pension withdrawal, or final settlement; and tracking the status of submitted claims. The feature of viewing passbook can be used even if one does not link their Aadhaar with Umang or the EPF. But, for the remaining 2 features, it is obligatory to have EPF account linked with Aadhaar. One feature currently in Umang app’s EPFO section is that it doesn’t allow to raise requests for transfer from one PF account to another, although this service is available online for EPF members. Other services like account nominations, Aadhaar seeding and PF-specific services will also be available through Umang in the future.
07 November 2017
EPF contributors dwindle with Aadhaar linkage
Employees’ Provident Fund or EPF contributors have decreased by 2 million after government made it mandatory to link Aadhaar with the PF account of an employee. Officials in employment and labour ministry said that the number of contributors which was 46.4 million in July, has come down to 44 million in September. A senior EPFO official said that this decline was happening due to Aadhaar linking with EPF accounts. EPFO expects the contributor number to increase soon in a few months.
Indian government’s biggest concern has to be the 31 regional EPF offices, which saw a decrease in the number of contributing members by more than 10% in September. Berhampur recorded a decline of 35%, Bhagalpur of 31.6%, Akola of 25.7%, Warangal of 23.5%, Keonjhar of 20.8%, and Gulbarga of 20.3% among others. An expert believe that there can be 3 reasons behind this. First, many people are still to link their Aadhaar with their EPF account. Second, there are some who have more than one UAN, so it’s possible they linked Aadhaar with one account only. Third reason could be the declining employment rate in India.
2 November 2017