Ways to Check EPF Balance Online
The EPFO has been introducing new methods for employees to check the EPF balance and is in the process of developing the existing platforms that can be used.
- Online Portal
- SMS Service
- Missed Call
- m-sewa app
EPF Balance Check using EPFO Portal
Here is a step-by-step guide to check EPF balance using UAN on the EPFO portal (www.epfindia.gov.in):
- Log in to the EPFO website and click on the 'Our Services' tab.
- Choose the 'For Employees' option from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the 'Member Passbook' under the 'Services' option.
- On the login page, enter the username which is the UAN and password to log in.
- Once logged in, employees can access their EPF details.
- Click on the respective passbook to check your EPF balance with different employers.
Some employers and employees aren't eligible for the EPF passbook facility. Therefore, it is advisable to check for eligibility under 'Status of Establishments' on the EPF government website (https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp).
EPF Balance Check via SMS
Here is a step-by-step guide to check EPF balance by sending an SMS:
- UAN has to be integrated with the employee's KYC details such as PAN, Aadhaar, and bank accounts to avail the facility of checking EPF balance via SMS.
- SMS to 7738299899 from the employee's registered mobile number.
- The SMS should read - EPFOHO UAN ENG, where ENG stands for English if that's the preferred language of communication. The same can be done for 9 other languages which include Tamil, Telugu, Marathi, Gujarati, Hindi, Bengali, Malayalam, Kannada, and Punjabi.
- The employee will receive an SMS with details such as UAN, date of birth (DOB), Aadhaar, PAN, last contribution made, and the total PF balance.
EPF Balance Check via Missed Call
Here is a step-by-step guide to check EPF balance by giving a missed call:
- Employees can check their EPF balance by giving a missed to 011-22901406 from their registered mobile numbers.
- Following the missed call, the employee will receive an SMS with their EPF details.
- This service is available only to those employees who have integrated their UAN with their KYC details.
EPF Balance Check using UAN
Employee Provident Fund (EPF) is a savings scheme for employees wherein the employer and employee make equal contributions toward the employee's retirement account. The savings can be withdrawn from the EPF account upon retirement but also comes in handy when the employee switches jobs or is unemployed. Employees can log in to the official website of the EPFO and then enter the UAN number that can be found on the pay slip. The EPF balance of the individual will then be displayed.
Check EPF Balance Online without UAN
Employees who haven’t created the UAN yet can view the EPF balance using the PF account number which can also be found on the pay slip. The individual will have to log in to the EPFO portal and enter a few details like the state he/she resides in, mobile number, etc. to view the EPF balance.
Steps to Check PF Balance via Mobile App
To enhance the convenience of their subscribers, the EPFO has launched their very own mobile app. All that the subscribers have to do to is to firstly download the app from EPFO website and register themselves using their PF account number and KYC details.
Steps to follow check EPF balance using the EPF mobile app:
- Download the app and click on member on the app’s homepage.
- On clicking the member option, enter your UAN and after choosing the balance/passbook option.
- Now, enter your registered mobile number.
- If the mobile number is displayed as incorrect, enter other details such as mobile number, Aadhaar card, etc.
- choose the view “EPF passbook” option if one wishes to view statements of the last 7 months.
- Once the details have been entered, the mobile app will display the balance in the employee’s PF account.
How to Check EPF Balance on Smartphones?
With the advent of technology, it has become easier to check one’s EPF account balance nowadays. All one needs is a smartphone and a reliable internet connection to find out the balance in an EPF account while sitting in the comfort of one’s home or office. There is no longer a need to wait for one's employer to share the EPF statement at the end of the year to find out the EPF balance. There is no paperwork involved or no time wasted in visiting a government office to view one’s EPF balance. Check one's EPF balance is vital when reviewing asset allocations and debt investments.
An Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) subscriber can use the Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) app on his or her smartphone to view the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) passbook for checking account balance and claim settlement, and also monitoring claim status. The EPFO hosts its services on the UMANG app which was launched by the ministry of electronics and information technology. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to check EPF account balance on smartphones:
- Step 1: Open the Google Play Store app on an Android smartphone to download the UMANG app. iPhone users can download the UMANG app from the iOS app store.
- Step 2: After downloading the app, enter the One-Time Password (OTP) that will be sent to the smartphone. OTP is needed for signing up on the UMANG app.
- Step 3: Enter Aadhaar number on the UMANG app. Aadhaar linking is mandatory if an EPFO subscriber wants to request online transfers or claims through the app.
- Step 4: After the app is activated or initialised, the homepage on the app will display the EPF option.
- Step 5: Three services are provided under the employee-centric services section of the app - view passbook, claim request for pension withdrawal (either partial withdrawal or full settlement), and track claim status.
- Step 6: Enter the Universal Account Number (UAN) and receive an OTP on the registered phone.
- Step 7: After entering the OTP in the app, the EPF passbook can be viewed and also downloaded in PDF format.
How to Check EPF Balance of Exempted Establishments/Private Trusts
Since the EPF contribution, in the case of an exempted establishment or private trust, goes to the company managed trusts rather than the Employees' Provident Fund Organisation, only the company managed trust can reveal an employee's PF account balance. There is no common method for checking PF balance when it comes to EPF accounts maintained with exempted establishments. The EPFO does not provide passbook facility for the members of exempted establishments.
According to the Employee Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952, some employers can manage their own PF schemes for their employees. Exempted establishments are large companies like Godrej, HDFC, Nestle, Wipro, TCS, Infosys, etc. that have in-house EPF trusts and are exempted from contributing their EPF corpus to the EPFO. These exempted establishments can manage the EPF corpus with their own trusts. However, these trusts are expected to provide higher returns than the EPFO-managed fund. The same rules for EPF contribution to EPFO apply to these trusts as well.
Employees of such exempted establishments can check their EPF balance in the following 4 ways:
- Check your PF slip or payslip: Most big establishments, provide salary slips to their employees via internal emails. Employees can check their payslips for EPF account balance. Some companies also give EPF slip in addition to the salary slip. Employees can find their monthly contributions as well as their EPF account balance in that slip.
- Check the company's employee portal: Most large companies maintain a company website on which employees can login and check their EPF account balance in the EPF section. Wipro and TCS are an example of such companies that provide the online facility to check one's EPF account balance and get PF statement.
- Check with the company's HR department: Employees contact the company's HR department as it deals with the employees' PF and is better able to provide the related details.
- Track your contributions: Employees can keep track of their monthly contributions by checking their salary slips and thus calculate the annual EPF balance. Use the interest rate set by the EPFO for EPF interest calculation. Keep in mind, a fixed sum of money (up to Rs.1,250 per month) goes to the EPS account.
While EPF balance of non-exempted establishments can be checked easily by giving a missed call or sending an SMS to the EPFO, or downloading the EPF passbook from the EPFO website, or through the UMANG app, in the case of exempted establishments, employees will have to follow the above-mentioned 4 ways. EPF statements are released by the private trusts of the exempted establishments minimum once a year. The employer has to provide the employees with the facility to check their EPF balance. If it is not provided, employees can raise a complaint.
EPF Balance Check via UMANG App
Here is a step-by-step guide to check EPF balance using the UMANG app:
- The UMANG app launched by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology can be used to view EPF passbook, EPF balance, EPF claim settlements, and status of the EPF claims.
- Download the UMANG app from the Google Play store or iOS store.
- A One-Time Password (OTP) is sent to the mobile or device on which the app is downloaded for registration.
- Link Aadhaar to the app for placing claim or transfer requests.
- The homepage of the app will have the EPF option once it is initialised.
- The ‘Employee Centric Services’ of the app offers options like ‘view passbook’, ‘track claim status’, and ‘make claim requests’ for pension withdrawal (full and partial withdrawals) and final settlement.
- To access the EPF details, the user has to enter the username which is the UAN and password which is the OTP that will be sent to the mobile number registered with the EPFO.
- The EPF passbook can be viewed and downloaded in PDF format.
- The 'General Services' offered on the UMANG app include Search Establishment, Search EPFO Office, Know Your Claim Status, Account Details on SMS, and Account Details on Missed Calls.
- The 'Employer Centric Services' include Get Remittance Details by Establishment ID and Set TTRN Status.
- The other services offered on the UMANG app are ‘eKYC Services’ like Aadhaar Seeding and ‘Pensioner Services’ like updating Jeevan Pramaan.
EPF Balance for inoperative Accounts
According to a notification issued by Government in November 2016, even the dormant accounts will continue to accrue interests and it will not be classified as inoperative anymore. EPFO had stopped paying interest to dormant accounts since 2011. But once the new amendment comes into effect, all inoperative accounts will receive interests at the rate of 8.8% per annum. Earlier, accounts turned inoperative chiefly due to two reasons—the cumbersome processes involved in EPF transfer and employees preferring to open new accounts while switching jobs. Communication gap between current and previous employers of an individual also contributes largely to the same. In cases where employees are unable to track the details of their old inoperative accounts, they can approach the EPFO help-desk and get the balance in those accounts transferred to the current one.
EPF Customer Care
EPFO has launched various mobile and web based services to solve account related queries and to help customers know their EPF status with ease. You may register your grievances by dialing the EPFO India helpline number 1800118005. The PF regulator is also strengthening its social media presence to handle grievances and requests from members. Currently, both Facebook and Twitter handle of EPFO is receiving suggestions, feedback, complaints, all of which are attended within 24 hours by the officials of regional centers. As of May 2016, the Facebook page and Twitter account of EPFO have around 3500 and 700 followers respectively. The social networking platform comes as an additional support to the online public grievance addressing system of regional EPF centers. You can get information about regional offices by visiting the EPFO website.
At the end of each salary period, annual statements of PF accounts will be made available in the EPFO website, which can be downloaded by employers through the E-Sewa portal . Discussed below is a step by step process to download EPF balance statement.
- In your web browser type the url http://epfindia.gov.in/
- In the EPFO home page, click on the link “For Employers”
- Further under the services listed in the page, select “ECR/Challan Submission”
- It will navigate to the “Employer E-Sewa” page
- Click on the “Employer E-Sewa” link given in the page and sign in using your credentials
- In the downloads tab, select download PF slips and choose your desired located to save the pdf.
- PF Withdrawal
- PF Status Online
- EPFO Login
- EPF Balance Check on Mobile
- EPF Contribution
- EPF Form 31
- Online PF Transfer
- EPF Registration
- PF Claim Form
- PF Settlement Form
- PF Transfer Form
- PF Withdrawal Rules
- PF Interest Calculator
- EPFO e Sewa
- UAN Registration
- PF Challan
- EPF Claim Status
- EPF Interest Rate
- Transfer PF Online
- Provident Fund Rules
- Gratuity Calculator
- UAN Login
- Breakup of EPF Contribution
- PF Passbook
- Employee Pension Scheme
- EPF Form 5
- Employee Provident Fund Scheme 1952
- EPF Form 11
- PF Limit
- PF Nomination Form
- PF Statement
- Form 2
- EPF Name Correction
- PF Account Number
- PF Withdrawal Forms
- SBI EPF Account
- EPF Account Withdrawal Fraud
- EPF Money after Resignation
- EPF Life Insurance
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- EPFO into Equities
- Unclaimed EPF Account
- EPFO Stock Market Investment
- How to Change EPF Nomination Online
- Claiming PF from Inactive EPF Accounts
- EPF vs EPS
- EPF Claim after the Death of a Subscriber
- EPF vs NPS
- EPF vs PPF
- GPF Amount Withdrawals
- Claim 100% EPF at 60 Years
- PF Act
- Centre Cracks Down on EPF
- File an RTI for EPF Withdraw or Transfer
- PF Advance withdrawal
- How to withdraw PF online
- EPF - All about Employees Provident Fund
- Difference between GPF and PPF
- difference between epf and ppf
- difference between pf and ppf
- EPF Balance Check Online
- Tax free Withdrawal limit for PF
- PF Withdrawal Reasons
- PF Declaration Form for Annual Leave Encashment
- EPF Grievance Online
- PF Loan
- New EPF withdrawal Form
- UAN for PF Settlement
- EPF Withdraw without Employer Signature
- Check Employer EPF Contribution
- EPF Transfer after Job Change
- Merge Two UAN Accounts
- EPF KYC