Under the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) scheme, individuals will be able to withdraw the money by using the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) portal. The advantages of checking the claim status online are:
- Simple procedure
- Takes less time
- No documents required
The Employees’ Provident Fund is a scheme that helps individuals save towards their retirement. Contribution (12% of the employee’s basic salary) towards the scheme is made by the employer and employee each.
The EPF scheme is handled by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation. Various benefits of the scheme can be availed by employees during the time of employment or after their retirement. The EPFO introduced the Universal Account Number (UAN) that is allotted to all the members of the scheme. With the introduction of the UAN, various details such as PF withdrawal, PF balance, transferring of PF from one account to another as well as updating ‘Know Your Customer’ details have become very simple.
Steps to check status of a claim
Once individuals have requested the withdrawal of PF funds, it is very easy for them to check the status of their claims. This has become possible only after the introduction of the UAN portal by the EPFO. In order for employees to check their claims online, the below-mentioned information must be available to them:
- Name and extension code (if needed) of the company
- Employer’s EPF regional office
Once the individual has all the above information, the EPF claim status can be found by using the below mentioned procedures:
On EPFO portal
Employees can check the claim status directly from the EPFO portal by following the below-mentioned procedure:
- First, employees must visit the portal of the EPFO (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php).
- Next, employees must click on ‘For Employees’. This option can be found under the ‘Our Services’ menu.
- On the next page, employees must click on ‘Know Your Claim Status’ which is present in the ‘Services’ menu.
- On the new tab, employees must enter their UAN and captcha details and click on ‘Search’.
- On the next page, employees must select the Member ID from the drop-down menu. Once the Member ID is selected, click on ‘View Claim Status’.
- The details of the claim status will be displayed on the screen.
- Regular updates are also provided by the EPFO via SMS regarding their claims. Details such claims application and the transfer of funds to the employee’s bank account will be sent via SMS.
By logging into UAN portal
Employees can also check the status of their claim by logging in to their UAN portal. The procedure to check the status of the claim is mentioned below:
- Initially, employees must visit the official website of EPFO (https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php).
- Next, the employee must go to the ‘For Employees’ page. The link to the page can be found under ‘Our Services’.
- Once on the ‘For Employees’ page, under ‘Services’, the employee will find ‘Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)’. The employee must click on it.
- On the new tab that has been opened, the employee must enter his/her UAN details and captcha.
- Once the employee has signed in to his/her UAN portal, he/she must click on ‘Track Claim Status’ which can be found under ‘Online Services’.
- On the next page, the status of the claim will come up.
FAQs on PF Status Online
- For how long can EPF members retain their membership?
- Will employees be able to directly join the EPF?
- Is it possible for individuals who are working in organisations but not receiving any pay become a member of the EPF?
- Is there any age restriction to become a member of the EPF?
- Where can individuals check the claim status online?
- In the case of PF withdrawal, is there any time limit?
- In case individuals do not receive their PF within 20 days, who should they report the issue to?
- Is it possible for employees to contribute towards EPF after resignation?
- Can employers reduce the wages of the employees due to contributions made towards EPF?
EPF members can retain their membership until they withdraw the PF amount. However, if no contributions are made for more than three years, no interest will be credited after the third year.
No, employees will not be able to directly join EPF. The only way employees can become members of the EPF is to work for an organisation that is a part of the EPF & MP Act, 1952.
No, individuals will have to receive wages to become members of the EPF.
No, there is no age restriction to become a member of the EPF. However, once individuals reach the age of 58 years, they cannot be a member of the Pension Fund.
Individuals can check their claim status on https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemClaimStatusUAN/. Individuals must use their Universal Account Number (UAN) and password to check the claim status.
Individuals must wait for 2 months before they withdraw their PF funds in case of resignation.
Individuals can raise a complaint on the EPFO portal in case they do not receive their PF funds within 20 days.
No, employees will not be able to contribute towards EPF if they are not working. The employee’s and employer’s EPF contributions must be the same.
The employer cannot reduce the wages of the employee because of payments made towards EPF. It is prohibited under Section 12 of the EPF & MP Act, 1952.