The procedure to log in to the EPFO portal is very simple. You will need to enter the Universal Account Number (UAN), password, and captcha to complete the log in procedure.
Table of Contents
A statutory body that was introduced by the Indian Government is the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). The EPFO was launched in 1951 and all operations of the organisation are handled by the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
Steps to Login to EPFO Member Portal
In order for employees and employers to login on the EPFO portal, they must first activate their UAN. The process to activate the UAN is very simple and can be done on the EPFO portal. The UAN is allotted to every member of the EPF scheme by the EPFO. Employees can also find their UAN from their employers or on the salary slip. The procedure to log in to the EPFO portal for employees and employers is mentioned below:
EPFO portal For Employees
The process to log in to the EPFO portal for employees is mentioned below:
- First, employees must go to the EPFO website which is https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php
- Once the employee is on the EPFO website, he/she must go to ‘Services’ and click on ‘For Employees’.
- On the next page, the employee must click on ‘Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/OTCP)’. The link can be found under ‘Services’.
- On the new page, the employee must enter his/her UAN and password. Along with those details, the employee must also enter the captcha details that have been provided.
- Next, the employee must click on ‘Sign In’.
- The next page will lead to the employee’s EPFO portal. Employees can update their Know Your Customer (KYC) details, claim their PF amount, check their PF balance, and transfer their PF amount on the EPFO portal.
- First, the employer must visit EPFO employer login page which is https://unifiedportal-emp.epfindia.gov.in/epfo/
- Next, the employer must enter the username and password, and click on ‘Sign In’.
- The next page will be the main page of the employer’s EPFO portal, where the employer will be able to approve the KYC details of the employee.
The process for employers to log in to the EPFO portal is mentioned below:
In terms of financial transactions and the number of members present under it, the EPFO is one of the biggest Social Security Organisations in the world. The three schemes that come under EPFO is mentioned in the table below:
|Employees Provident Fund (EPF)||Under the scheme, contributions are accumulated for the individuals to use at the time of retirement. Partial withdrawals are allowed in case of house construction, illness, and marriage.|
|Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS)||Contributions are made towards the scheme on a monthly basis for the members to use at the time of retirement or for the nominees to receive in case the member passes away.|
|Employees Deposit Linked Scheme (EDLI)||Benefits are provided to the member’s family in case he/she passes away at the time of being a member of the EPFO. Up to 20 times the salary of the employee, subject to a maximum of Rs.6 lakh, is provided.|
Services offered by EPFO
The services offered by the EPFO are mentioned below:
- PF withdrawal Online
- Online payments of the PF amount
- Transfer of PF from one account to another
- Missed call and SMS alerts to check the PF balance
- EPF passbook can be viewed and downloaded
- Claim status can be checked online
- Grievance redressal
- A certificate is provided for international workers
- Establishments can register online
- Universal Account Number (UAN)
EPFO UAN Help Desk
The EPFO has a separate portal for all queries related to the UAN. A subscriber can avail the services of the portal by registering in the help-desk portal and provide certain details such as the UAN, Aadhar number and PAN. The help desk provides assistance with almost all EPF and UAN related issues.
EPFO Login For Employers
The EPFO has also developed a separate system for employers to help them transfer claims in a more efficient and convenient way. The process for employers to login to the EPFO portal is the same as that of employees. Employers need to have a UAN which has been registered and activated with the EPFO portal. To log in and avail services, employers should use their UAN as the user ID and the password that was created at the time of activation.
The online services for employers include registering a new establishment, making ECR challan payments, creating EPF accounts for employees and approving EPF claims among many other services.
FAQ’s On EPFO Login
- In case the member wants to file a transfer claim, does he/she have to register on the member portal?
- What is the employer’s and employee’s contribution towards EPF?
- Can the member edit details such as father’s name, date of exit, date of joining, and relationship on the EPFO portal?
- Can a member pay an excess of the mandatory 12% towards EPF?
- Can the member change his/her date of birth or age on the EPFO portal?
- Who receives the pension in case the member dies?
- What are the benefits of having a UAN?
- Why is it necessary to give a nomination for pension?
Yes, the member will have to register on the member portal in order to file for a transfer claim.
The employer and employee each contribute 12% of the employee’s salary towards EPF. While the entire contribution of the employee goes towards EPF, 8.33% of the employer’s contribution goes towards pension, while the remaining goes towards EPF.
No, the member will not be able to make changes to the above-mentioned details on the EPFO portal.
Yes, the member can pay an excess of the 12% of the maximum of Rs.15,000 as a voluntary contribution.
Although not normally allowed, the member will be able to change his/her date of birth or age by submitting the relevant documents.
In case the member dies, the pension will be received by his/her spouse. Also, till his/her children (maximum of 2 at a time) reach the age of 25 years, they are eligible to receive pension.
Once the member activates his/her UAN, they will be able to print/download their passbook, and UAN card at any given time. All previous member IDs can be viewed by the member as well. KYC details can also be updated online by the member.
In case the member dies, and there is no eligible family member, the nominee will receive the pension.