The EPFO (Employees’ Provident Fund Organization) is a statutory body under the Ministry of Labor and Employment, Government of India.
Services offered by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization are listed below:
|Employees' Provident Fund Scheme, 1952|
|Employees' Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme, 1976|
|Employees' Pension Scheme, 1995|
EPFO Member Portal
The EPFO member portal at http://members.epfoservices.in provides all information and services related to your EPF (Employee Provident Fund). You have to log into the portal to check your EPF balance by accessing your online EPF Account Passbook. The portal, therefore, obviates the need to await your year-end EPF receipts for knowing your current EPF balance. The website is convenient in that you can login to the EPFO member portal at any time by registering your details, following which you can easily view all your accounts online. What’s more, you will also receive an SMS when your e-passbook is available.
How to Login to EPFO Member Portal
The following steps need to be taken to log into the EPFO Member Portal
- You have to open the member of Employee Provident Fund.
- Fill in the required details in the main page for registration.
- You have to ensure that you enter the correct document type since you will have to log into the portal using the same details provided by you. After you are registered, you can log into the EPFO member portal. For instance, if you wish to register into the portal by using your PAN Card, you have to select PAN Number in the tab ‘Select Any One Document’ and enter your PAN Card number.
- Please check the details before submitting them to get your PIN number.
- After submitting your details, you will get an authorization PIN.
- You should then enter the authorization PIN, following which, you will be registered.
By following the aforementioned steps, you can open the member portal by entering specific details namely, mobile number, document type and document number and successfully download your EPF Passbook from the website.
EPFO Member Portal Service
You would do well to remember the following pertinent points
- You can use only one mobile number for registration purposes.
- While you can add multiple id numbers, you can use any one with your mobile number to log into the EPFO member portal.
- You can view your EPF account passbook after registering yourself. It is important to note that you can avail of this facility only if your employer has uploaded the electronic challan cum return from (wage month) May 2012 onwards.
- As a registered member, you can view only one account under one employer. If you have more than one account under a single employer, you should apply for a transfer by filling in the required details in Form 11.
- You can view up to 10 accounts under different organizations (establishments). There is no restriction on the number of times you can view all the accounts.
- You need not create any user id and password. You only have to use your mobile number and any one identification proof such as Aadhar, PAN, National Population Register, Voter ID, driving license and passport to register and login.
- If you wish to view your inoperative accounts, you have to make an official request in that the facility to display inoperative accounts may be provided after a request for the same is made through official channels. It is, however, important to note that the said facility is not available for current members of organizations (establishments) which have exemption as per EPF Scheme 1952.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced UAN (universal account number) to facilitate Provident Fund number portability. EPFO’s UAN member portal accessible at http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/index.php offers several facilities via a single window.
The UAN is an umbrella for several member IDs of an individual given by different organizations (establishments). UAN, therefore, links multiple Member Identification Numbers of one member. If you have already been allotted a UAN, you have to give the same to your new employer so the latter can mark the new Member ID to the allotted UAN. Firstly, you must contact your organization (establishment) to get your UAN. You should then activate your registration to utilize several facilities such as download of UAN card, updating of KYC related information and member passbook among others. Currently, active members (contribution received from October 2013 onward) can only register (your mobile number is required to activate registration).
EPFO’s Pensioners Portal
The EPFO’s Pensioners Portal was established as a means creating a vehicle for India’s Pensioners Associations. The policies for pensioners is formulated by the Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare. The department addresses various concerns of pensioners, and also provides information on pension rules, various pension schemes, retirement benefits and pension processes. The portal was created to bridge the distance between the government and pensioners. The portal was developed with the aim of making the pension sanctioning and disbursement process smoother. The Department of Pension and Pensioners’ Welfare wished to have a system of governance that centered around the interest of pensioners and to make the practices of the department more transparent.
The eKYC portal was launched in October 2017 to help EPF subscribers link their UAN with the Aadhaar. The eKYC facility is available on the EPFO website and EPF subscribers can complete the process in a fairly simple manner. The steps to link the UAN with Aadhaar are as follows:
- Visit the EPFO website and select the “Online Services” option.
- Click on the EPFO Member Tab and select the option titled “Link UAN Aadhaar”.
- Enter your UAN and your registered mobile number and click on “Generate OTP”.
- Enter the OTP followed by your Aadhaar number.
- If the details filled out are accurate, the eKYC process is complete and your UAN and Aadhaar are linked.
EPFO International Workers
The EPFO website also has a facility for employees who travel abroad for employment purposes. The Certificate Of Coverage (CoC) is generally required for employees working abroad temporarily to claim tax exemptions in the host country. This process can be done online and is thereby made more convenient and easily accessible for employees traveling abroad. At present, Indian residents traveling abroad for employment purposes temporarily can claim exemptions in 18 countries.
EPFO Member Passbook
EPF subscribers can request for a passbook with regard to their EPF contribution. This can be done by making a request on the EPFO website. This facility is available to those individuals who have their UAN registered and activated on the EPFO website. To begin with, employees will have to select the “Our Services” option and then click on “Member Passbook”. The individual will have to log in using their UAN and password. After logging in the individual receives the link to view and download their passbook.
The Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) app was launched in November 2017 as a way of providing all Indian citizens an integrated platform for all the services provided by the state and central government. Services such as applying for PAN, NPS and EPF among many other services can be accessed through this app. The app has over 180 services available.
One Employee-One EPF Account
The One Employee-One EPF Account was launched in 2016 to help employees consolidate their previous EPF accounts. Before the launch of the UAN, employees had one PF account with one employer. The One Employee-One EPF Account allows employees to transfer funds from old EPF accounts to the EPF account that is linked with the UAN. However, the old EPF accounts cannot be merged with the new one since the regional offices that handle the EPF accounts are usually different. Claims for EPF transfers from old PF accounts can be done online through the Online Transfer Claim Portal (OTCP) and the request for PF transfers are instantly registered with the EPFO.
Aadhaar Based Online Claim Submission
Employees can now get their EPF claims settled in a short span of just 5 days. This has been made possible by filing the claim using Aadhaar details. This process does not require the attestation from the employer. Instead, employees can visit the EPFO website and carry out the following steps:
- Login to the EPFO website and click on the “Manage” option, followed by the “KYC” option
- Add the Aadhaar and bank details requested
- The claim is then sent to the employer for approval
- The process is authenticated with an OTP that is sent to the employee’s registered mobile number.
- Once entered, click on the “Composite Claim Form (Aadhaar)” to submit and begin the process of withdrawing EPF.
EPFO UAN Help Desk
The EPFO has a separate portal for all queries related to the UAN. A subscriber can avail the services of the portal by registering in the help-desk portal and provide certain details such as the UAN, Aadhar number and PAN. The help desk provides assistance with almost all EPF and UAN related issues.
EPFO Login for Employers
The EPFO has also developed a separate system for employers to help them transfer claims in a more efficient and convenient way. The process for employers to login to the EPFO portal is same as that of employees. Employers need to have a UAN which has been registered and activated with the EPFO portal. To log in and avail services, employers should use their UAN as the user ID and the password that was created at the time of activation.
The online services for employers include registering a new establishment, making ECR challan payments, creating EPF accounts for employees and approving EPF claims among many other services.