Subscribers no longer need to visit the regional PF office to carry out any EPF process as everything can be done online or on their mobile phone. In the year 1952, the Government of India set up the Employees Provident Fund Organization to help citizens recognize the need to save for their retirement or accumulate a corpus for their future. For those new to the scheme, the EPF (Employees’ Provident Fund) is controlled by the Ministry of Laborr and Employment, Government of India, and in 2013 the EPFO launched its own portal enabling subscribers to carry out all processes such as - checking the status of their PF account, making PF withdrawals or even taking a loan against their PF corpus.
Steps to Check EPF Balance through SMS
Provident fund is a financial security asset which acts as a stable and a disciplined investment solution for post-retirement needs of employees. Individuals contribute towards PF throughout their employment on a periodic basis, which can either be withdrawn while quitting jobs or during important occasions such as marriages and medical emergencies. For the working class, in both private and public sector, EPF is an idyllic investment solution for retirement corpus. At present, the wage ceiling for coverage under EPFO is Rs.15,000 per month which is likely to be raised in the coming days.
|EPF Balance SMS Request To||7738299899|
|SMS Format(Eg)||EPFOHO UAN|
|Language Supported||English, Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, and Bengali|
The EPF balance can be checked online on the member's website as mentioned earlier. However, what if you are in a situation where you do not have any online access and just have your phone in hand, but need to check your EPF balance desperately. The EPFO has come with the solution. It is simply an SMS that allows you to check your EPF balance on SMS.
For initial users, you would require to login to EPFO provide and provide details. As of October 2015, EPFO has also started balance checking facility of EPF through cell phones. This means that there is no requirement of logging in to EPFO portal and provide details.
On September 18, 2015 the EPFO also launched the EPF Mobile App, SMS Based UAN Activation and also the Missed Call Service. As mentioned earlier, EPFO launched the UAN (Universal Account Number) advantage for all EPF members. To make the UAN facility more user-friendly, EPFO started SMS based balance-checking facility. Note that this feature can be only used by people who have UAN Account Number and have registered their mobile number during UAN activation. Here are the steps to check EPF balance with SMS and texting.
1. Use the UAN registered mobile number, for sending the text to number 7738299899.
2. The format of the message will be like EPFOHO UAN for receiving the message in English. 3. There is an option to receive texts in 10 vernacular languages (English, Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, and Bengali).
4. Once you send the message, then EPFO will send you, the member details available as well as details of the KYC, last contribution, along with the total EPF balance.
Remember that you may not receive the message in the case that your Aadhaar, PAN and bank account were digitally approved and provided by the employer. Therefore if you do not receive the SMS then contact your current employer immediately.
Transfer of provident fund accounts was considered a herculean task by employees as it involved surplus amount of paperwork and EPFO visits. But with the launch of web enabled UAN system, the entire process has become extremely convenient, safe, and secure. Apart from the web portal, EPFO also offers mobile services including app and SMS service.
SMS Service of EPFO
To enhance the convenience of their subscribers, the EPFO has rolled out the SMS facility to carry out few basic EPF processes. Once such process that can be carried out through the SMS facility is checking their PF Balance in one’s account. All that the employee needs to do is use his/her UAN registered mobile number and SMS their details in the following format - EPFOHO UAN ENG - to 7738299899. ENG stands for English. Since employees can use the SMS facility in 10 different languages - English, Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, and Bengali. Listed below are the language codes that the customer is required to use in the SMS format when carrying out the request for PF balance.
Once the details have be messaged using the above mentioned codes to 7738299899, the subscriber will receive the following details in the following format:
- Name of the PF account holder
- Date of birth
- Last contribution made by both employer and employee
- Total balance in the PF account
Benefits of EPF SMS Services
SMS is generally a one-to-one communication medium which is less time consuming compared to other means of instant information delivery. In other words, it delivers the message straight into the hands of the intended user. SMS is a widely used tool for B2C communications, and at the same time it is also one of the most preferred channels of attending user requests by various organizations such as financial institutions and governmental bodies. The SMS service launched by EPFO exemplifies the same.
Due to the advancement in technology, numerous applications have been launched in the mobile market. Even then, Short Messaging Service (SMS) deserves a special place among all solutions available in the digital space. With the proliferation of mobile devices, SMS has become an integral tool for establishing quicker communications. Going in line with digital progression, EPFO offers short code SMS service to access information related to PF accounts.
Other ways to enquire PF Balance instantly
Apart from the PF balance SMS service, subscribers of the EPF scheme can check their PF balance via the missed call facility, online on the EPFO member portal, through the UAN app, via the EPF mobile app, or through the UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-Age Governance) app. Subscribers can follow the steps mentioned for each of the following ways to check their PF balance.
Check EPF Balance through missed call
- The subscribers has to ensure that his/her KYC details are integrated with their UAN to carry out this process.
- Using the UAN registered mobile number, the subscriber has to give a missed call to 011-22901406.
- As soon as the subscriber has done that, he/she will receive a message of the PF balance in the account.
Checking EPF Balance through UMANG app
Since the UMANG App is a recent introduction of the Government of India, subscribers will have to first download and install the app to carry out the process of checking the PF balance in their account. To download and set up UMANG app, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the EPFO website and click on the UMANG app download link - https://web.umang.gov.in
- To proceed, enable your location, calls data and SMS service.
- Click on “download app”.
- Enter the OTP you receive on your registered mobile number.
- Answer two security questions.
- Next, link your Aadhaar card.
- Once you link your Aadhaar card, your KYC details will automatically integrate into the app.
- You can now, carry out several EPF processes through the UMANG app including checking your PF balance.
Steps to check PF Balance through UMANG App
- Click on the “EPFO option on the UMANG app homepage.
- Choose the ‘Employee Centric Services’ option.
- Enter your UAN.
- Enter the OTP sent to your registered mobile number.
- Click on “view passbook” on the EPFO section.
- As soon as that is done, the UMANG app will display the PF account in your balance.
Word of caution: Make sure that you don’t use any of the third party applications available on play store for EPF balance check. You are more likely to give away critical information pertaining to your EPF account by using such apps.
- PF Withdrawal
- PF Status Online
- EPFO Login
- EPF Contribution
- EPF Form 31
- Online PF Transfer
- EPF Registration
- PF Claim Form
- PF Settlement Form
- PF Transfer Form
- PF Withdrawal Rules
- PF Interest Calculator
- EPFO e Sewa
- UAN Registration
- PF Challan
- EPF Balance
- EPF Claim Status
- EPF Interest Rate
- Transfer PF Online
- Provident Fund Rules
- Gratuity Calculator
- UAN Login
- Breakup of EPF Contribution
- PF Passbook
- Employee Pension Scheme
- EPF Form 5
- Employee Provident Fund Scheme 1952
- EPF Form 11
- PF Limit
- PF Nomination Form
- PF Statement
- Form 2
- EPF Name Correction
- PF Account Number
- PF Withdrawal Forms
- SBI EPF Account
- EPF Account Withdrawal Fraud
- EPF Money after Resignation
- EPF Life Insurance
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- EPFO into Equities
- Unclaimed EPF Account
- EPFO Stock Market Investment
- How to Change EPF Nomination Online
- Claiming PF from Inactive EPF Accounts
- EPF vs EPS
- EPF Claim after the Death of a Subscriber
- EPF vs NPS
- EPF vs PPF
- GPF Amount Withdrawals
- Claim 100% EPF at 60 Years
- PF Act
- Centre Cracks Down on EPF
- File an RTI for EPF Withdraw or Transfer
- PF Advance withdrawal
- How to withdraw PF online
- EPF - All about Employees Provident Fund
- Difference between GPF and PPF
- difference between epf and ppf
- difference between pf and ppf
- EPF Balance Check Online
- Tax free Withdrawal limit for PF
- PF Withdrawal Reasons
- PF Declaration Form for Annual Leave Encashment
- EPF Grievance Online
- PF Loan
- New EPF withdrawal Form
- UAN for PF Settlement
- EPF Withdraw without Employer Signature
- Check Employer EPF Contribution
- EPF Transfer after Job Change
- Merge Two UAN Accounts
- EPF KYC
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.