Provident fund is a financial security asset which acts as a stable and a disciplined investment solution for post-retirement needs of employees. Individuals PF contribution throughout their employment on a periodic basis, which can either be withdrawn while quitting jobs or during important occasions such as marriages and medical emergencies. For the working class, in both private and public sector, EPF is an idyllic investment solution for retirement corpus. At present, the wage ceiling for coverage under EPFO is Rs.15,000 per month which is likely to be raised in the coming days.
Checking your Employees’ Provident Fund EPF balance can now be done without having to visit the EPFO office. You can check your balance by sending an SMS to the number given below. It can also be done by using the missed call facility. The SMS facility is available on a 24x7 basis and is supported in English as well as several regional languages.
|EPF Balance SMS Request To||7738299899|
|SMS Format(Eg)||EPFOHO UAN ENG|
|Language Supported||English, Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, and Bengali|
Do note the following points:
- SMS should be sent from registered mobile number.
- EPFO sends balance details of the member and last PF contribution along with KYC details.
- For initial users, you are required to login to EPFO portal and provide details.
- You are required to type the first three letters of your preferred language in the SMS as per mentioned format.
The EPF balance can be checked online on the member's website as mentioned earlier. However, what if you are in a situation where you do not have any online access and just have your phone in hand, but need to check your EPF balance desperately. The EPFO has come with the solution. It is simply an SMS that allows you to check your EPF balance on SMS.
For initial users, you would require to login to EPFO provide and provide details. As of October 2015, EPFO has also started balance checking facility of EPF through cell phones. This means that there is no requirement of logging in to EPFO portal and provide details.
On September 18, 2015 the EPFO also launched the EPF Mobile App, SMS Based UAN Activation and also the Missed Call Service. As mentioned earlier, EPFO launched the UAN (Universal Account Number) advantage for all EPF members. To make the UAN facility more user-friendly, EPFO started SMS based balance-checking facility. Note that this feature can be only used by people who have UAN Account Number and have registered their mobile number during UAN activation. Here are the steps to check EPF balance with SMS and texting.
Remember that you may not receive the message in the case that your Aadhaar, PAN and bank account were digitally approved and provided by the employer. Therefore if you do not receive the SMS then contact your current employer immediately.
Transfer of provident fund accounts was considered a herculean task by employees as it involved surplus amount of paperwork and EPFO visits. But with the launch of web enabled UAN system, the entire process has become extremely convenient, safe, and secure. Apart from the web portal, EPFO also offers mobile services including app and SMS service.
The following are the benefits of SMS Service:
- Convinience: You do not have to login on the portal after initial activation to check balance.
- User friendly: Most of the people have access to mobile and know how to use it.
- No language barrier: This service is also available in regional laguages.
- Quick service: Checking balance through SMS is not time consuming, you can do it on the go
FAQs on EPF Balance through SMS
- How long after the Universal Account Number (UAN) registration can individuals start getting their EPF balance via SMS?
- From where can individuals get their UAN?
- Whom should individuals contact regarding UAN and Know Your Customer (KYC) queries?
- Is it possible for apprentices to become EPF members?
- Is it mandatory for individuals to register their mobile number on the EPFO portal to receive their EPF balance via SMS?
- Are employers allowed to join the PF?
- What documents can be submitted KYC?
Individuals can get their EPF balance via SMS 48 hours after the registration of their UAN on the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) portal.
Individuals can get their UAN from their employers or it can be found on the salary slip.
Regarding UAN and KYC queries, individuals can call EPFO Toll Free No. 1800 118 005.
No, apprentices cannot become EPF members. However, once they stop being an apprentice, they can be enrolled to become an EPF member.
Individuals can receive their EPF balance via SMS only after they have linked their mobile number on the UAN portal.
No, employers are not allowed to join the PF.
Given below are the list of documents that can be submitted as KYC:
- Bank account number
- Permanent Account Number
- Election card
- National Population Register
- Driving License