About UAN (EPFO's Universal Account Number)
UAN (The Universal Account Number) was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in October 2014. UAN is a 12-digit identification number for all individuals who contribute to the EPF (Employee Provident Fund) and this number is generated by the EPFO (Employees’ Provident Fund Organization). Once generated, the UAN is allotted to the employee by their employer. The idea behind introducing the UAN was to create a common reference for the EPF account numbers that an individual might have if they change jobs. In August 2015, the UAN was made mandatory for all contributors to the EPF. Additionally, employees were also required to have their bank account, PAN and Aadhaar details seeded with their UAN. The UAN can be used to access the EPF subscriber’s PF account, make withdrawal claims and avail a number of services offered by the EPFO.
Listed below are the important things an employee should know about UAN
- An employee should know his/her UAN status by contacting the employer.
- Activate UAN by entering the UAN provided by the employer, mobile number PF Account number.
In case an employer does not provide a UAN, the employee should check whether he/she has been allotted a UAN or not by EPFO by visiting the Employee Provident Fund Organization.
The Universal Account Number or UAN is a 12-digit number which is used for employee identification under the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPFO). UAN acts as a unified number wherein all the Member Identification Numbers or Member IDs issued to a single individual are enrolled. These Member IDs are issued by different organizations for their employees who are working with them.
Employers who have 20 or more employees working under them are required to obtain Provident Fund registration. Employees with wages upto Rs.15,000 are required to be enrolled under the Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) scheme. Employers with less than 20 employees can also obtain Provident Fund registration voluntarily.
Any employer who is registered under the EPF scheme will be able to issue UAN to their employees who are enrolled under the scheme. This UAN is used as an identification of the employee under the EPFO. It is also required to log in to the EPFO Portal.
How to know your UAN
In most cases, employers provide their employees’ UAN. Since the government mandate, most employers print the employee UAN on the payslip. Referring to the payslip is the first way that an employee can find out their UAN. Firstly make sure you do the UAN Registration & take the benefits available.
Obtaining your UAN
The UAN can be obtained in two ways: In most cases, employers provide their employees with their UAN and the employees’ salary slips have the UAN printed on them. Another way of obtaining the UAN is by logging on to the EPFO portal. The employee should click on the tab labeled ‘Know Your UAN status’ and fill out the details requested. Filling out this form prompts the generation of an authorization PIN that is usually sent to the employee’s registered mobile number. The employee must then enter the PIN they receive in order to find out their UAN. The UAN is sent as an SMS to the employee’s mobile number.
How to generate UAN
If the employer has not shared the UAN with the employee, the following procedure can be used:
- Log on to the EPFO website and select the option “Know Your UAN Status”
- Enter the details of PAN or Aadhaar and submit them to receive an authorization pin.
- An OTP will be sent to the mobile number entered in the form and will have to be entered in the space provided.
- The UAN and the status of the UAN will then be sent to the employee’s mobile number
Documents required to generate UAN
The mandatory documents required to generate UAN are as follows:
- Bank details -Account number, IFSC code, branch name.
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Ration card
- Driver’s license
- ESIC card
How to Activate UAN
The following steps should be followed to activate the UAN:
- Log in to the official EPFO website and select the “Activate UAN” option
- UAN Activation can be done either through UAN, PAN or Aadhaar.
- After selecting one of three option mentioned above, enter personal details including the mobile number.
- A verification PIN will be sent to the mobile number. Once entered, select the “Authorize and Activate” option.
How to Activate UAN through SMS and EPFO App
The EPFO App was launched in 2015 and can be used to access EPFO information through a smartphone.
To activate UAN, the individual should download the app and enter their UAN login and registered mobile number. Once submitted, the individual receives the requested details.
|Check EFP Balance||Through SMS in predefined format|
|SMS Format||EPFOHO UAN|
|Send SMS To||7738299899|
|Language preferred||English, Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil & Bengali|
|Timings||9:15 AM to 5:45 PM|
An activated UAN also allows the employee to add and edit the nominees to their EPF account. The subscriber should first log in to the UAN member portal and select the “Profile” tab on their dashboard. Under the profile tab, the subscriber should select the “Edit Nomination Details” option. Clicking on this option redirects the subscriber to the nomination form. The form requires information such as the subscriber’s personal and employment details. Since the subscriber already has these details registered with their UAN, this section is automatically filled out. The same page also has details about the subscriber’s family members. These details can be updated and edited by the subscriber. The same section also has details about the subscriber’s nominees. If the subscriber wishes to change the nominees for the EPF or wishes to add a new nominee(s).
Employees who want to withdraw the funds in their EPF account online can do so using their UAN and password. Again, this requires the employee to have an activated UAN with the KYC verification completed.
Benefits of seeding KYC documents with UAN Account
- Subscribers can transfer funds seamlessly without the attestation of their previous or current employer.
- PF account holders can make withdrawals without the attestation of their employer.
- PF account transparency.
- SMS notification when contributions or withdrawals have been made.
- Merge multiple PF accounts seamlessly.
- Make personal detail corrections -name, mobile number, father’s name, date of birth, etc. - on the EPFO portal.
How to access UAN details on the EPFO website
As already mentioned, the last step when activating the UAN is to create username and password. Once that is done, all that the subscriber needs to do is to visit the UAN portal or the EPFO portal and enter the username and password. Once the credentials have been entered, the portal will display the details of your UAN.
How to generate UAN through Aadhaar Card
Subscribers can self-generate their UAN using their Aadhaar card. To do so, they should follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the EPFO member portal.
- Click on "Online Aadhaar Verified UAN Allotment"
- Enter your Aadhaar card number.
- Click on “generate OTP”.
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number and click on “submit”.
- The page will then display the Aadhaar card details.
- Click on “register”.
- Once that is done, the UAN will be allotted.
Benefits of UAN
Listed below are the benefits of UAN and the changes that it has brought about to the EPF processes:
- Subscribers can merge up to 10 PF account in one go using the UAN. For this to happen, the subscriber will be first required to seed his/her Aadhaar card details to the UAN.
- Subscribers can carry out the auto-transfer process of their PF accounts using UAN.
- PF members can make transfers, check PF balance, make EPF contribution or withdrawal using the UAN.
- Once the subscribers’ details are seeded with the UAN, he/she will receive a notification message every time a contribution or withdrawal has been made.
- Apply for PF transfer online.
UAN App(Umang App)
The government launched the Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) app. This app serves as a common platform for all the services offered by the government, including the EPFO services. Using this app requires an activated UAN that has the KYC process completed. The UAN is an initiative that was developed to lend transparency and autonomy for all EPF contributors.
Subscribers can carry out all the EPF process through the UAN app as well. One will first need to download the app via Google Play Store and then register using his/her registered mobile number and UAN. Once all the fields have been entered, the subscriber will be registered and carry out all EPF processes via the UAN app.
Facilities available on UAN Member Portal
The UAN member portal enables you to enjoy the following facilities:
- Download UAN Card.
- Download Passbook.
- Get a list of your previous member IDs.
- Enter and update your KYC details.
- Online eligibility check.
- Edit personal details
- Link UAN with Aadhaar.
- Apply for PF transfer, claim partial withdrawal of funds, or claim full PF.
What are the benefits of using UAN?
The UAN has made PF transfer very easy as all PF accounts will have the same UAN. An employee can enjoy the following benefits with a UAN:
- Hassle-free and smooth PF account balance transfer procedure, even if you change a number of jobs. The UAN will remain same in your entire professional career.
- Employees would be able to view, transfer and withdraw EPF balance easily. Besides, they would be able check transfer claim status, update KYC documents and download UAN card.
- UAN helps in making a direct communication between EPFO and employees. Now, an employee doesn't have to be dependent on his/her employer for PF balance transfer and withdrawal.
- Employees will receive SMS notification as and when their PF is deposited. Each month when an employer deposits provident fund on your behalf, you will receive SMS notification. This will keep you updated about your PF deduction.
- If you have a UAN, you can apply for online PF transfer.
- EPF transfer and withdrawal can be done in very less time, provided you have a UAN.
Given the number of benefits associated with a UAN, it’s important you take it seriously, make sure your UAN is activated by your employer and all KYC documents are updated in the EPFO portal.
Linking Aadhaar with UAN online
Members can link their Aadhaar details with UAN online. The EPFO has introduced this system just on the eve of Diwali in 2017 to facilitate easier linking, as Aadhaar has become compulsory to avail the facility of auto-transfer of PF. Linking facility in the UAN portal itself makes it easier and faster for consumers to access their PF funds.
The process of linking Aadhaar with UAN through the EPFO website are detailed below:
- A subscriber has go to the EPFO website and click on eKYC Portal section which is under the Online Services tab.
- Next step is he/she should go to the section called Link UAN Aadhaar and click on the link.
- He/she has to provide his/her UAN to move forward. He/she will receive an OTP on their UAN registered mobile number.
- Once OTP is verified, the subscriber has to enter his/her 12-digit Aadhaar identification number. They will then receive another OTP on their mobile number seeded with the UIDAI database.
- Once this OTP verification is complete, provided the UAN details match the Aadhaar details, the UAN gets linked with Aadhaar.
Visit UAN Members E-Sewa Portal to know the Status
You can register at the UAN members e-Sewa portal as follows:
- Go to the website, https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/ and click on ‘Know your UAN status’.
- Update the PF number details in the columns on the page. After this information is updated, click on ‘Check Status’.
- You will receive a notification on whether your UAN number has been allocated or not. If it has been generated, you will be required to provide additional details, such as the member name, date of birth, email address, and mobile number. The name and date of birth should tally with the information in the EPFO records. You will also need to give a password for the registration process. Update the CAPTCHA and click on ‘Get Pin’.
- The PIN will be sent to your mobile number. Update this PIN in the column on the screen, click on ‘I Agree’, and submit the form.
- The next page will display your Universal Account Number. You will also receive an SMS with your Universal Account Number as soon as it is generated.
- Log in to the website http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/ using the credentials chosen by you.
The credentials hence created can be used in the future for accessing your account on the website.
Benefits of registration at UAN Member E-Sewa Portal
The UAN member e-Sewa portal provides you the following:
- The updated EPF passbook can be easily downloaded here. This passbook indicates your PF Balance that can be utilized for availing a loan.
- You will be able to link all your previous PF accounts through this portal.
- You can upload KYC data on this website.
- It is possible to alter your email address or mobile number.
- You can apply for transferring your EPF.
- It is possible to link Aadhaar details with UAN if you are registered at the e-sewa portal.
FAQs about UAN
a) Is it possible to download or view my passbook?
Yes, you can download or view your passbook in the following manner:
- Log in to the member portal using your UAN and password.
- Go to the menu option ‘Download’ and select ‘Download Passbook’.
- It is also possible to download the PDF version of the passbook.
b) My photograph does not appear on my UAN card at all. What can be done?
Currently, it is not possible to get your photograph on the UAN card. The photo will appear on the card after you update your KYC of Aadhaar, and it will be picked up directly from the Aadhaar database. This facility is being configured now, and will be available to you soon.
c) Why does the Universal Account Number list all previous member IDs?
The Universal Account Number was configured to consolidate multiple Member Identification Numbers (Member Ids) that were allocated to a single member. This is intended to help a member view his Member IDs and further enable him to check his eligibility for online transfer of PF amounts. However, in the future, members would be required to disclose their previous Member IDs or UAN to the new employer in Form-11; hence eliminating the need to list these Member IDs in the UAN. The linking will be done automatically from the information in the Form-11 document.
d) Is it possible to upload my KYC document through the UAN Members e-Sewa portal?
Yes, this is possible. You will have to go to the menu option ‘Profile’ and select ‘Update KYC Information’. This enables you to upload the KYC document from your local system. This document will have to be approved by the employer; until then the status of the KYC will appear as ‘Pending’.
e) Will the UAN facility be available to non-permanent Government employees, i.e., the contract-based workforce?
The UAN facility is available to all members who contribute towards EPFO. This is inclusive of contract-based employees, as well.
f) My personal details are incorrect in the UAN card. How can I get these corrected?
You should submit the correct information to your employer, along with relevant proof. The employer will validate and submit this information to the concerned field office. Since the UAN card is dynamic, it will be automatically updated.
g) Why am I allocated two Universal Account Numbers?
If there are two Universal Account Numbers allotted to you, this could be because your previous employer did not file your date of exit, and the transfer of service to your current establishment was made as well. In such a scenario, you should immediately report the issue either to your employer or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning your UANs. After verification, the previous UAN will be blocked, and the latest UAN will be active. Subsequently, you will be required to submit a request for the transfer of service and funds to the active UAN.
h) What is the Procedure of Allocating a UAN to New Employees?
If your UAN is not generated by your previous employer, your new employer will collect the required information such as your previous employer details and PF Account number, verify it and forward the information to EPFO for UAN generation. Once UAN is generated by EPFO, it will be communicated to your current employer who will then make it available for you.
i) How is UAN Generated?
UAN is generated for each PF account holders by the Employee Provident Fund Organization and made available to employers on the Online Transfer Claim Portal (OTCP).
j) What is the URL of the EPFO Member Portal?
The URL of the EPFO member portal is http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in
k) Can I Change My Mobile Number or E-Mail ID in the UAN Member Portal?
Yes, you can change your mobile number and email in the UAN portal. What you have to do is to go to the profile menu and select the option called “Edit Mobile No" or “Edit Email ID" where you need to enter your new mobile number or e-mail id.
l) Can My Employer see the UANs Allotted to its Employees?
Yes, your employer can see the UANs allotted by EPFO to its employees. Any employer can view the UANs allotted to employees by visiting the UAN member portal and clicking on the “UAN Menu”. In the menu, there will be an option called “Download UAN List’. By clicking on this option, employers would be able to see the UANs allotted to its employees. Besides, they can also download the PDF version of the same. For any queries, employers can contact the toll-free no: 1800-118-005 or email EPFO.
m) Procedure to Allocate UAN to New Employees
As soon as you join a new company, your employer will collect your previous PF account details, make a verification and then forward the same to the EPFO to generate the UAN. The employer will then pass on the UAN once the EPFO generates it.
n) How to Correct Personal Details in UAN?
Employees should submit their correct details which employers will verify and send to the concerned officer. After proper verification, the correct information will be updated in the UAN portal.
o) What is the Procedure of Uploading KYC Document in the UAN Member Portal?
You can upload your KYC document in the portal by using Bulk KYC Text File Upload.