About UAN Registration
A Universal Account Number (UAN) is a distinctive 12-digit number that is given to every member of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). The UAN is allotted to every member by the EPFO. The UAN remains the same throughout the life of an employee or the number of years the organisation exists.
It is mandatory for employers who have more than 20 employees working for them to register with the EPFO. If the employer is registered to EPFO, all employees who are working in that organisation with a basic wage of up to Rs.15,000 must join the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) as well. 12% of the employee’s salary is contributed by the employer and employee each towards the Provident Fund (PF).
Upon registration of UAN, the employee will be able to view the balance as well as withdraw the PF amount online.
Steps for UAN Registration & Activation Online
The registration process for new users on the EPFO Member Portal is a short and easy process. The following steps are required to be followed by a user to register in the portal:
- Visit the EPFO Member’s Portal. Visit the following link: https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- On the main page of the website, click on the “Activate UAN” option under the “Important Links” tab available in the lower right corner of the screen.
- On clicking the “Activate UAN” option, the user will be redirected to a new webpage where he/she will be required to feed in details pertaining to UAN, Member ID, Aadhaar number, PAN, Name, Date of Birth, Mobile No. (the number registered with EPFO), Email ID, and fill up the Captcha code before submitting the form.
- In the above step, the user is allowed to choose from UAN, Member ID, Aadhaar Number, and PAN. He/she can fill up any one of the options mentioned above to register.
- Upon filling up all the details and the auto-generated Captcha code, the user will have to click on the “Get Authorization Pin” option.
- After this, a One Time Password or OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number and the user will be redirected to a new webpage.
- On this webpage, the user will be required to verify the details (UAN, Name, Date of Birth, Mobile No., and Email ID) provided by him/her in the previous page.
- Once the details are verified, the user will be required to click and check the checkbox against the “I Agree” option. Under this option, the OTP ID and the field for the OTP will be provided.
- Once the above-mentioned steps are completed, the user can enter the OTP received on the mobile number in the provided field and click on the “Validate OTP and Activate UAN” option.
- On successfully completing the registration process, the following message will be displayed on the screen of the user: “Your UAN is activated, The Password is sent to your registered mobile number.”
Documents Required to Generate UAN
The mandatory documents required to generate UAN are as follows:
- Bank details -Account number, IFSC code, branch name.
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Ration card
- Driver’s license
- ESIC card
Activating UAN through SMS & EPFO App
The EPFO App was launched in 2015 and can be used to access EPFO information through a smartphone.
To activate UAN, the individual should download the app and enter their UAN login and registered mobile number. Once submitted, the individual receives the requested details.
|Check EFP Balance||Through SMS in a predefined format|
|SMS Format||EPFOHO UAN|
|Send SMS To||7738299899|
|Language preferred||English, Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil & Bengali|
|Timings||9:15 AM to 5:45 PM|
Adding the Nominees
A member can add and edit nominees to their EPF account. A member will need to follow the following steps in order to add nominees to their EPF account:
- The member must first visit the EPFO portal (https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/) and login with their UAN details. The UAN, password, and captcha must be entered.
- On completing the login, you must click on ‘E-NOMINATION’ which is present under the ‘Manage’ tab.
- In the next page, you will need to add the details of the individual that you would like to add. The Aadhaar number, name, date of birth, gender, relation, and address of the nominee will have to be added.
- The next step would be to be to click on ‘Save Family Details’.
- You will have to approve the e-Nomination by selecting the ‘e-Sign’ option. Once you click on ‘e-Sign’, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP in the tab to add the individual as a nominee.
- If you have not linked your Aadhaar Card to your UAN, you will receive an error. Therefore, your UAN and Aadhaar must be linked.
Generating UAN through Aadhaar
Subscribers can self-generate their UAN using their Aadhaar card. To do so, they should follow the steps mentioned below:
- Visit the EPFO member portal.
- Click on "Online Aadhaar Verified UAN Allotment"
- Enter your Aadhaar card number.
- Click on “generate OTP”.
- Enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number and click on “submit”.
- The page will then display the Aadhaar card details.
- Click on “register”.
- Once that is done, the UAN will be allotted.
FAQs About UAN
1. Is it possible to download or view my passbook?
Yes, you can download or view your passbook in the following manner:
- Log in to the member portal using your UAN and password.
- Go to the menu option ‘Download’ and select ‘Download Passbook’.
- It is also possible to download the PDF version of the passbook.
2. My photograph does not appear on my UAN card at all. What can be done?
Currently, it is not possible to get your photograph on the UAN card. The photo will appear on the card after you update your KYC of Aadhaar, and it will be picked up directly from the Aadhaar database. This facility is being configured now and will be available to you soon.
3. Why does the Universal Account Number list all previous member IDs?
The Universal Account Number was configured to consolidate multiple Member Identification Numbers (Member Ids) that were allocated to a single member. This is intended to help a member view his Member IDs and further enable him to check his eligibility for online transfer of PF amounts. However, in the future, members would be required to disclose their previous Member IDs or UAN to the new employer in Form-11; hence eliminating the need to list these Member IDs in the UAN. The linking will be done automatically from the information in the Form-11 document.
4. Is it possible to upload my KYC document through the UAN Members e-Sewa portal?
Yes, this is possible. You will have to go to the menu option ‘Profile’ and select ‘Update KYC Information’. This enables you to upload the KYC document from your local system. This document will have to be approved by the employer; until then the status of the KYC will appear as ‘Pending’.
5. Will the UAN facility be available to non-permanent Government employees, i.e., the contract-based workforce?
The UAN facility is available to all members who contribute towards EPFO. This is inclusive of contract-based employees, as well.
6. My personal details are incorrect in the UAN card. How can I get these corrected?
You should submit the correct information to your employer, along with relevant proof. The employer will validate and submit this information to the concerned field office. Since the UAN card is dynamic, it will be automatically updated.
7. Why am I allocated two Universal Account Numbers?
If there are two Universal Account Numbers allotted to you, this could be because your previous employer did not file your date of exit, and the transfer of service to your current establishment was made as well. In such a scenario, you should immediately report the issue either to your employer or send an email to email@example.com, mentioning your UANs. After verification, the previous UAN will be blocked, and the latest UAN will be active. Subsequently, you will be required to submit a request for the transfer of service and funds to the active UAN.
8. What is the Procedure of Allocating a UAN to New Employees?
If your UAN is not generated by your previous employer, your new employer will collect the required information such as your previous employer details and PF Account number, verify it and forward the information to EPFO for UAN generation. Once UAN is generated by EPFO, it will be communicated to your current employer who will then make it available for you.
9. How is UAN Generated?
UAN is generated for each PF account holders by the Employee Provident Fund Organization and made available to employers on the Online Transfer Claim Portal (OTCP).
10. What is the URL of the EPFO Member Portal?
The URL of the EPFO member portal is http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in
11. Can I Change My Mobile Number or E-Mail ID in the UAN Member Portal?
Yes, you can change your mobile number and email in the UAN portal. What you have to do is to go to the profile menu and select the option called “Edit Mobile No" or “Edit Email ID" where you need to enter your new mobile number or e-mail id.
12. Can My Employer see the UANs Allotted to its Employees?
Yes, your employer can see the UANs allotted by EPFO to its employees. Any employer can view the UANs allotted to employees by visiting the UAN member portal and clicking on the “UAN Menu”. In the menu, there will be an option called “Download UAN List’. By clicking on this option, employers would be able to see the UANs allotted to its employees. Besides, they can also download the PDF version of the same. For any queries, employers can contact the toll-free no: 1800-118-005 or email EPFO.
13. Procedure to Allocate UAN to New Employees
As soon as you join a new company, your employer will collect your previous PF account details, make verification and then forward the same to the EPFO to generate the UAN. The employer will then pass on the UAN once the EPFO generates it.
14. How to Correct Personal Details in UAN?
Employees should submit their correct details which employers will verify and send to the concerned officer. After proper verification, the correct information will be updated in the UAN portal.
15. What is the Procedure of Uploading KYC Document in the UAN Member Portal?
You can upload your KYC document in the portal by using Bulk KYC Text File Upload.
- PF Withdrawal
- PF Status Online
- EPFO Login
- EPF Balance Check on Mobile
- EPF Contribution
- EPF Form 31
- Online PF Transfer
- EPF Registration
- PF Claim Form
- PF Settlement Form
- PF Transfer Form
- PF Withdrawal Rules
- PF Interest Calculator
- EPFO e Sewa
- PF Challan
- EPF Balance
- EPF Claim Status
- EPF Interest Rate
- Transfer PF Online
- Provident Fund Rules
- Gratuity Calculator
- UAN Login
- Breakup of EPF Contribution
- PF Passbook
- Employee Pension Scheme
- EPF Form 5
- Employee Provident Fund Scheme 1952
- EPF Form 11
- PF Limit
- PF Nomination Form
- PF Statement
- Form 2
- EPF Name Correction
- PF Account Number
- PF Withdrawal Forms
- SBI EPF Account
- EPF Account Withdrawal Fraud
- EPF Money after Resignation
- EPF Life Insurance
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- EPFO into Equities
- Unclaimed EPF Account
- EPFO Stock Market Investment
- How to Change EPF Nomination Online
- Claiming PF from Inactive EPF Accounts
- EPF vs EPS
- EPF Claim after the Death of a Subscriber
- EPF vs NPS
- EPF vs PPF
- GPF Amount Withdrawals
- Claim 100% EPF at 60 Years
- PF Act
- Centre Cracks Down on EPF
- File an RTI for EPF Withdraw or Transfer
- PF Advance withdrawal
- How to withdraw PF online
- EPF - All about Employees Provident Fund
- Difference between GPF and PPF
- difference between epf and ppf
- difference between pf and ppf
- EPF Balance Check Online
- Tax free Withdrawal limit for PF
- PF Withdrawal Reasons
- PF Declaration Form for Annual Leave Encashment
- EPF Grievance Online
- PF Loan
- New EPF withdrawal Form
- UAN for PF Settlement
- EPF Withdraw without Employer Signature
- Check Employer EPF Contribution
- EPF Transfer after Job Change
- Merge Two UAN Accounts
- EPF KYC