Everything You Need to Know about EPFO's Universal Account Number (UAN)
The Employee Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) introduced some significant changes in its working procedure to help employees better manage their provident fund contributions. EPFO introduced a new system called Unique Account Number (UAN) which helps employees manage their provident fund accounts without any hassles. Usually, when an employee leaves an organization and joins a new organization, his/her EPF number also gets changed. Thus, depending on the number of job changes, an employee might have a number of PF accounts. So, if an employee has to withdraw his PF balance from his previous employees, he needs to apply separately at each of his previous employer to get his PF balance transferred or withdrawn. The whole process involves a lot of paperwork and the employee has to contact his previous employer personally. Given that a lot of headache is involved in the process of managing and transferring EPF, the EPFO India introduced the Universal Account Number which will remain the same throughout the entire lifetime of an employee.
Know about UAN
UAN refers to the Universal Account Number introduced by EPFO India. It is a unique 12-digit number assigned to an employee by EPFO India. The EPFO UAN number will act as a marker of identity for an employee till his/her retirement. In order to generate a UAN number, an employee needs to be registered with EPFO services and should contribute to the Employee Provident Fund Account. The major motive behind the launch of UAN is to link multiple PF account numbers allotted to a single employee by different organizations under one single account. In case an employee is already registered with EPFO services and has a UAN number, then he/she has to provide the same on joining a new organization so that the new employer can link the new member Identification number of the organization to his/her existing Universal Account Number. UAN can be accessed by an employee by visiting the UAN member portal website.
How do I get my UAN?
Any employee who contributes for EPF account is eligible for getting a UAN. The Universal Account Number has been allotted to each EPF contributing member to help them enjoy a lot of facilities. The UAN number will be communicated to you by your employer and will be included in your monthly pay-slip. Otherwise, you can contact your employer to get your UAN. The EPFO will send your UAN to your employer. In case you don’t get your UAN from your employer, you can follow the below mentioned process:
- Visit the following link: //uanmembers.epfoservices.in/check_uan_status.php
- Select your state and office of jurisdiction.
- Enter your EPF number and Establishment Code.
Once you enter all these details, click on the “Check Status” button of the webpage. Immediately, it will show the status of your UAN. If it shows your “UAN is activated”, you can directly go and contact your employer with a screenshot of the same.
How to activate EPFO UAN
You can access your UAN by visiting the UAN Member Portal Website. First you need to activate your UAN by clicking on the link called" Activate your UAN" on the portal. You should keep his/her Member ID, Mobile number and UAN ready while trying to log-in. You will receive your UAN from your employer. You need to follow the below mentioned steps to activate your UAN:
- Visit the link: http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/uan_reg_form.php
- Enter your mobile number, UAN and EPF account details.
- EPFO will send an authorization PIN to your mobile number, once you enter the aforesaid details.
- Submit the PIN received in your mobile and activate UAN.
- Generate your login ID and password to complete the registration process.
Documents to be submitted in your new organization for linking member ID to UAN
You need to submit the following documents to link the member ID of a new organization to UAN:
- Any KYC document.
- Bank account details including Bank Account Number, IFSC Code and Branch Name.
- Last working day of the previous company.
- UAN provided by the previous organization.
In case an employee does not have an UAN, then she/has to submit the following documents:
- Bank Account Number.
- IFSC Code
- Branch Name.
- Last working day of the previous company.
- PF Account number of the previous organization.
KYC documents required for UAN
The following documents are accepted as KYC documents:
- Bank Account Number
- Driving License
- Election Card
- Ration Card
- ESIC Card
What are the benefits of completing the KYC process in UAN?
Employees who uploaded their documents and completed the KYC process can enjoy the following benefits:
- Easy transfer of PF funds
- Smooth withdrawal of PF amount
- Transparency in PF accounts
- Get SMS notification of monthly PF deduction.
How can I access my UAN details?
You can access your UAN details by logging on to the UAN member portal website at http: //uanmembers.epfoservices.in. However, an employee needs to activate his UAN to access his/her UAN details on the website.
How to download UAN card
You can download your UAN by the following steps:
- First login on to http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/ with the username and password.
- Go to the download menu and click the “Download UAN Card” button.
- Click on the “Download” button. You can then download your UAN which you can either save or print.
What if my employer does not provide me a UAN?
If you employer does not provide you a UAN, the first thing you have to do is to check whether EPFO has allotted a UAN number for you or not. You can check it by visiting the official website of EPFO (http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/). On the website, you need to enter your existing PF number. The website will then display the status of your UAN. If your UAN is generated, you will receive a message saying that your UAN is allotted. You can go directly to your employer and ask for your UAN. Once you provide your KYC documents details, your employer will link your member ID to UAN.
What is the procedure of allotting a UAN to new employees?
If your UAN is not generated by your previous employer, your new employer will collect the required information such as your previous employer details and PF Account number, verify it and forward the information to EPFO for UAN generation. Once UAN is generated by EPFO, it will be communicated to your current employer who will then make it available for you.
How is UAN generated?
UAN is generated for each PF account holders by the Employee Provident Fund Organization and made available to employers on the Online Transfer Claim Portal (OTCP).
What is the URL of the EPFO member portal?
The URL of the EPFO member portal is http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in
Can I change my mobile number or e-mail ID in the UAN member portal?
Yes, you can change your mobile number and email in the UAN portal. What you have to do is to go to the profile menu and select the option called “Edit Mobile No" or “Edit Email ID" where you need to enter your new mobile number or e-mail id.
How to correct personal details in UAN?
Employees should submit their correct details which employers will verify and send to the concerned officer. After proper verification, the correct information will be updated in the UAN portal.
What is the procedure of uploading KYC document in the UAN Member Portal?
You can upload your KYC document in the portal by using Bulk KYC Text File Upload.
Facilities available on the UAN member portal
The UAN member portal enables you to enjoy the following facilities:
- Download UAN Card.
- Download Passbook.
- Get a list of your previous member IDs.
- Enter and update your KYC details.
- Online eligibility check.
- Edit personal details
Basic things you should know about UAN
Listed below are the important things an employee should know about UAN
- An employee should know his/her UAN status by contacting the employer.
- Activate UAN by entering the UAN provided by the employer, mobile number PF Account number.
- In case an employer does not provide a UAN, the employee should check whether he/she has been allotted a UAN or not by EPFO by visiting the Employee Provident Fund Organization.
Can my employer see the UANs allotted to its employees?
Yes, your employer can see the UANs allotted by EPFO to its employees. Any employer can view the UANs allotted to employees by visiting the UAN member portal and clicking on the “UAN Menu”. In the menu, there will be an option called “Download UAN List’. By clicking on this option, employers would be able to see the UANs allotted to its employees. Besides, they can also download the PDF version of the same. For any queries, employers can contact the toll-free no: 1800-118-005 or email EPFO.
What are the benefits of using UAN?
The UAN has made PF transfer very easy as all PF accounts will have the same UAN. An employee can enjoy the following benefits with a UAN:
- Hassle-free and smooth PF account balance transfer procedure, even if you change a number of jobs. The UAN will remain same in your entire professional career.
- Employees would be able to view, transfer and withdraw EPF balance easily. Besides, they would be able check transfer claim status, update KYC documents and download UAN card.
- UAN helps in making a direct communication between EPFO and employees. Now, an employee doesn't have to be dependent on his/her employer for PF balance transfer and withdrawal.
- Employees will receive SMS notification as and when their PF is deposited. Each month when an employer deposits provident fund on your behalf, you will receive SMS notification. This will keep you updated about your PF deduction.
- If you have a UAN, you can apply for online PF transfer.
- EPF transfer and withdrawal can be done in very less time, provided you have a UAN.
Given the number of benefits associated with a UAN, it’s important you take it seriously, make sure your UAN is activated by your employer and all KYC documents are updated in the EPFO portal.
Visit The UAN Members e-Sewa Portal to know the Status
You can register at the UAN members e-Sewa portal as follows:
- Go to the website, https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/ and click on ‘Know your UAN status’.
- Update the PF number details in the columns on the page. After this information is updated, click on ‘Check Status’.
- You will receive a notification on whether your UAN number has been allocated or not. If it has been generated, you will be required to provide additional details, such as the member name, date of birth, email address, and mobile number. The name and date of birth should tally with the information in the EPFO records. You will also need to give a password for the registration process. Update the CAPTCHA and click on ‘Get Pin’.
- The PIN will be sent to your mobile number. Update this PIN in the column on the screen, click on ‘I Agree’, and submit the form.
- The next page will display your Universal Account Number. You will also receive an SMS with your Universal Account Number as soon as it is generated.
- Log in to the website http://uanmembers.epfoservices.in/ using the credentials chosen by you.
The credentials hence created can be used in the future for accessing your account on the website.
Benefits Of Registration At the UAN Member e-Sewa Portal
The UAN member e-Sewa portal provides you the following:
- The updated EPF passbook can be easily downloaded here. This passbook indicates your PF balance that can be utilised for availing a loan.
- You will be able to link all your previous PF accounts through this portal.
- You can upload KYC data on this website.
- It is possible to alter your email address or mobile number.
- You can apply for transferring your EPF.
- It is possible to check the PF account balance using the missed call facility.
a) Is it possible to download or view my passbook?
Yes, you can download or view your passbook in the following manner:
- Log in to the member portal using your UAN and password.
- Go to the menu option ‘Download’ and select ‘Download Passbook’.
- It is also possible to download the PDF version of the passbook.
b) My photograph does not appear on my UAN card at all. What can be done?
Currently, it is not possible to get your photograph on the UAN card. The photo will appear on the card after you update your KYC of Aadhaar, and it will be picked up directly from the Aadhaar database. This facility is being configured now, and will be available to you soon.
c) Why does the Universal Account Number list all previous member IDs?
The Universal Account Number was configured to consolidate multiple Member Identification Numbers (Member Ids) that were allocated to a single member. This is intended to help a member view his Member IDs and further enable him to check his eligibility for online transfer of PF amounts. However, in the future, members would be required to disclose their previous Member IDs or UAN to the new employer in Form-11; hence eliminating the need to list these Member IDs in the UAN. The linking will be done automatically from the information in the Form-11 document.
d) Is it possible to upload my KYC document through the UAN Members e-Sewa portal?
Yes, this is possible. You will have to go to the menu option ‘Profile’ and select ‘Update KYC Information’. This enables you to upload the KYC document from your local system. This document will have to be approved by the employer; until then the status of the KYC will appear as ‘Pending’.
e) Will the UAN facility be available to non-permanent Government employees, i.e., the contract-based workforce?
The UAN facility is available to all members who contribute towards EPFO. This is inclusive of contract-based employees, as well.
f) My personal details are incorrect in the UAN card. How can I get these corrected?
You should submit the correct information to your employer, along with relevant proof. The employer will validate and submit this information to the concerned field office. Since the UAN card is dynamic, it will be automatically updated.
g) Why am I allocated two Universal Account Numbers?
If there are two Universal Account Numbers allotted to you, this could be because your previous employer did not file your date of exit, and the transfer of service to your current establishment was made as well. In such a scenario, you should immediately report the issue either to your employer or send an email to [email protected], mentioning your UANs. After verification, the previous UAN will be blocked, and the latest UAN will be active. Subsequently, you will be required to submit a request for the transfer of service and funds to the active UAN.
- EPF Balance
- EPF Claim Status
- EPF Interest Rate
- How to Transfer PF Amount
- Provident Fund Rules
- SBI EPF
- Gratuity Calculator
- EPF Account Withdrawal Fraud
- EPF Money after Resignation
- EPF Life Insurance
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- EPFO into Equities
- New EPF Withdrawal Form
- Unclaimed EPF Account
- EPFO Stock Market Investment
- How to Access UAN Account after Changing the Mobile Number
- How to Change EPF Nomination Online
- Claiming PF from Inactive EPF Accounts
- EPF vs EPS
- EPF Claim after the Death of a Subscriber
- EPF vs NPS
- EPF vs PPF
- GPF Amount Withdrawals
- Claim 100% EPF at 60 Years
- Breakup of EPF Contribution
- EPF Contribution in Basic Salary
- Centre Cracks Down on EPF
- Employee Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme
- EPF e-Passbook
- Employee Pension Scheme
- File an RTI for EPF Withdraw or Transfer