How to View PF Account Number?
PF number is one of the main things to be checked on your PF statement. The PF number is alphanumeric for an un-exempted organisation. The establishment, PF member code, state, and the regional office is represented in the PF number.
An example of how a PF number is represented is below:
Sample PF number: TN MAS 0065110 000 0012345
- TN represents the state
- MAS represents the regional office
- The first 7 numbers represent the establishment ID
- The next 3 numbers represent the establishment extension ID
- The last 7 numbers represent the member ID
EPF Account Number: How to get & fill it?
When you join a new organization then you may, if you have never had one, be presented with a part of your salary that is cut as a contribution towards a Provident Fund. These contributions will be made on your behalf into an account and EPF Balance can be withdrawn by you under specific circumstances.
When an employee starts contributing to the employee provident fund scheme, he receives the EPF account number. For every new employee, the employer allocates the EPF member ID and intimates the EPFO by contributing the first EPF. But in some cases, the employees are unaware of their EPF account number. This happens when they haven’t paid much attention to their contribution to the EPF scheme.
Every employee should be aware of his/her EPF account number, as this is a significant piece of information. Once the employee leaves his/her job, he/she may not be able to easily locate this number. Hence, it is important to get to know the EPF Account Number as soon as he/she joins the company.
Almost all employees in an organization are part of the EPF scheme, as this plan is mandated for everyone who earns a monthly basic salary of Rs.15,000 or less. This scheme builds a corpus that can be utilized by the member during his/her retirement period. The member can also avail tax benefits from participation in the scheme.
How to Know EPF Account Number?
The most significant role in the Employee Provident Fund scheme is played by the employer. The employer’s responsibilities include the allocation of the EPF account number, registration of the new employee, and depositing EPF contributions. The EPF number is distributed by the employer to its employees.
If not given by the employer, the EPF account number can be obtained in the following ways
- Contacting HR department: Your company’s HR department will be able to give your PF number easily.
- Visiting EPFO office: You can visit the regional PF office. By submitting all personal details, you can obtain your EPF account number. You may have to give a written application, therefore, it is important to carry identity proof.
- Using UAN portal: Your EPF account number can be obtained if you know the UAN number. You will have to visit the UAN portal.
- Salary Slip: Most employers have the EPF account number printed on the salary slips.
Importance of EPF Account Number
The EPF account number was only used as proof for EPF membership until few years back. Without the EPF account number it was impossible to transfer or withdraw EPF amount. Even though UAN is available now, it is only considered as a second number. EPF account number is the primary identity of your EPF account.
Roles of EPF Account Number
- Using the EPF number, it is possible to check the balance in the PF account.
- The EPF number is required to initially find the UAN number.
- The EPF number is useful in initiating the PF withdrawal.
- The member can also request for a transfer of the EPF, using this number.
Format of EPF Account Number
The EPF account number usually consists of both alphabets and numbers. This number holds the information about the EPF office that manages the member’s account. It also consists of the organization code, and each block of information is separated by a ‘/’.
For instance, in the EPF number, DS/NHP/13025/000/2015, DS represents the state of Delhi. This implies that the employee’s company is registered in Delhi. The code NHP refers to the south office in Delhi. The third block represents the organization, and would be the same value for all employees in a company. This numeric code cannot exceed 7 digits. The penultimate section refers to the extension, and this is not a mandatory block. The final block is specific to each employee of the organization, and can have up to 7 digits.
How to Fill EPF Account Number?
In order to fill the EPF account number, you can update each block sequentially.
a) Select the EPF Region
The first two alphabets of the PF Account number refers to the region. This value can only be chosen from a drop-down list.
b) Choose the EPF Office
Once the region is selected, you will be able to view the names of all EPF offices that come under the selected EPF region. You need to click on the link of the required EPF office, in order to match the code of the office with your EPF account.
c) Enter Your Organization Code
In the next page, you will be able to fill in the company code and account number. The company code can be updated in the third block of the EPF account number, and would be numerals.
d) Enter Extension (if relevant)
The next step is updating the extension. In case there is no extension in your account number, this section can be left blank.
e) Fill the Member ID
The member ID is filled in the last block.
1. Can an employee become a member of EPF if he or she is working for an establishment where the PF Act is not applicable? .
Only after the establishment applies for the Act can an employee become a member.
2. Is there any age restriction to become a member of EPF?
There is no age restriction to become a member of PF, but an employee above 58 years cannot become a member of the pension scheme.
3. Can an employee be given PF membership if he or she works in an establishment without receiving wages?
Employees can become members only when wages are paid to them.
4. How long can an employee continue to have his EPF membership?
Even after an employee leaves the establishment, he/she can continue to be a member. There is no restriction. However, the account will not earn any interest after the third year if no contribution is made into the PF account for 3 continuous years.
5. Is it possible for the employer to also join PF?
The employer cannot join PF.
6. Can an employee join EPF directly?
The only way an employee can join is by way of employment in an establishment which is covered under the EPF & MP Act, 1952.
7. Are there any other benefits on joining the EPF?
On joining the EPF, the member is provided Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme and Pension benefits. This is applicable only to those employees who earn a monthly wage of Rs.15,000 or less.
8. How long can a member retain PF in his/her account?
The member can retain PF in his/her account till it is withdrawn.
9. Is the member required to register to the Member Portal for Transfer Claim online?
Yes, the member is required to register to the Member Portal to make Transfer Claim online.
10. Is an employee joining an establishment at the age of 58 eligible to become a member of the Pension Fund?
No, an employee joining an establishment at the age of 58 is not eligible to become a member of the Pension Fund.
- PF Withdrawal
- PF Status Online
- EPFO Login
- EPF Balance Check on Mobile
- EPF Contribution
- EPF Form 31
- Online PF Transfer
- EPF Registration
- PF Claim Form
- PF Settlement Form
- PF Transfer Form
- PF Withdrawal Rules
- PF Interest Calculator
- EPFO e Sewa
- UAN Registration
- PF Challan
- EPF Balance
- EPF Claim Status
- EPF Interest Rate
- Transfer PF Online
- Provident Fund Rules
- Gratuity Calculator
- UAN Login
- Breakup of EPF Contribution
- PF Passbook
- Employee Pension Scheme
- EPF Form 5
- Employee Provident Fund Scheme 1952
- EPF Form 11
- PF Limit
- PF Nomination Form
- PF Statement
- Form 2
- EPF Name Correction
- PF Withdrawal Forms
- SBI EPF Account
- EPF Account Withdrawal Fraud
- EPF Money after Resignation
- EPF Life Insurance
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- EPFO into Equities
- Unclaimed EPF Account
- EPFO Stock Market Investment
- How to Change EPF Nomination Online
- Claiming PF from Inactive EPF Accounts
- EPF vs EPS
- EPF Claim after the Death of a Subscriber
- EPF vs NPS
- EPF vs PPF
- GPF Amount Withdrawals
- Claim 100% EPF at 60 Years
- PF Act
- Centre Cracks Down on EPF
- File an RTI for EPF Withdraw or Transfer
- PF Advance withdrawal
- How to withdraw PF online
- EPF - All about Employees Provident Fund
- Difference between GPF and PPF
- difference between epf and ppf
- difference between pf and ppf
- EPF Balance Check Online
- Tax free Withdrawal limit for PF
- PF Withdrawal Reasons
- PF Declaration Form for Annual Leave Encashment
- EPF Grievance Online
- PF Loan
- New EPF withdrawal Form
- UAN for PF Settlement
- EPF Withdraw without Employer Signature
- Check Employer EPF Contribution
- EPF Transfer after Job Change
- Merge Two UAN Accounts
- EPF KYC
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.