There is an option to transfer EPF online if an employee is changing from one job to another. This option is available on the official website of the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). Generally, a copy of Form 13 has to be submitted to the employer.
Steps to transfer PF online
There is a possibility that an employee might find better job offers and shift companies in his/her pursuit for career growth. While changing jobs is easy, transferring the EPF can be a hard task, involving time and effort on the member’s part. To minimise the effort involved, the government has introduced online EPF transfer. Individuals who wish to transfer their EPF need to follow these basic steps.
- Employees can log in to the unified portal of the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/) using their UAN and Password. Here is a screenshot of the portal.
- Upon successfully logging in, go to ‘Online Services’ and click on ‘One Member - One EPF Account (Transfer Request)’.
Check eligibility – Is he or she eligible to apply online? In certain cases, a physical copy of Form 13 should be submitted to the previous or current employer if he or she is not eligible to avail of online services.
- Carefully go through the personal information and the present PF account details to which the fund will be transferred.
- Click on 'Get Details' to get the account information of the previous employment. Select 'Previous Employer' and enter the previous employment's member ID or UAN to get the details.
- Once the previous employment details are displayed and verified, click on 'Get OTP', which will be sent to the registered mobile number. Enter the OTP in the provided box and click on 'Submit'.
- Fill up the online Form 13 (https://www.spmcil.com/UploadDocument/Form%2013-Transfer%20of%20EPF%20Account.ef23ef33-f252-4e0e-907c-133b2ed861e0.pdf) with details that include PF numbers from both previous and current organisations.
- A tracking ID will be generated. This can be used to keep a track of the process.
- One needs to take the printout of the form and sign it. This form needs to be submitted to the employer within 10 days of obtaining it.
- The previous and present employers will verify the details mentioned in the form.
- Approval of both the employers is needed before funds are credited to the account number.
- The employer is expected to verify authenticity and signature of the employee.
- Why is it necessary to transfer PF from the previous employer to the current employer?
- If PF has not been withdrawn from an old account for more than a certain time period, then it stops earning interest. Therefore, it is advisable to either withdraw or transfer the amount. Withdrawal is allowed only if he or she has been unemployed for at least 2 months.
- Also, withdrawing PF within 5 years of continuous employment will attract tax.
- Transferring PF to the new account instead of withdrawing it, will ensure that one has a good amount of savings for one’s post-retirement days.
One of two things can be done when an employee switches jobs/companies:
- Withdraw the PF if he or she has been unemployed for a minimum of 2 months.
- Transfer the amount from the previous employment PF account to the new employment PF account.
- Employees should have activated their UAN on the portal.
- Their registered mobile numbers should be active.
- Their bank accounts should be seeded to UAN.
- Their KYC should be verified against UAN.
- The old and current employers must have registered authorised signatories digitally.
- PF numbers of both previous and current employment have to be in the EPFO database.
Only one PF transfer request can be made against the previous employment member ID.
- The Universal Account Number can be used to link an employee's multiple EPF accounts or member IDs under one UAN.
- It allows the employee to view PF passbook and update it as well.
- Employees will get SMS to their registered mobile numbers about the monthly PF contributions.
- PF transfer can be done online after a change in jobs or companies.
EPF Other Pages
- EPF Form 5
- Employee Provident Fund Scheme 1952
- EPF Form 11
- PF Limit
- PF Nomination Form
- PF Statement
- Form 2
- EPF Name Correction
- PF Account Number
- PF Withdrawal Forms
- SBI EPF Account
- EPF Account Withdrawal Fraud
- EPF Money after Resignation
- EPF Life Insurance
- 7 Ways to Check PF Account Balance
- EPFO into Equities