How to check SSY Balance
- Offline Method
- Online Method
1. Offline Method: As mentioned earlier, more than 25 banks offer the facility to open Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account. When an individual opens an SSY account with one of these banks, they are provided with a passbook for the same. The passbook can be updated on a regular basis to know the balance of the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account.
2. Online method: With the advent of digitalisation, the SSY balance can now be checked online as well through the account statements. The steps mentioned below have to be followed to know the SSY account balance:
- Step - 1: Apply and collect the login credentials of the SSY account from the respective bank. However, it should be noted that all the banks have not started offering this facility as of now. Thus, you will be able to enjoy this facility only if the bank offers the facility.
- Step - 2: These login credentials can be used to log in to the internet banking portal of the bank.
- Step - 3: After logging in to the account, you can go to the homepage and check the balance there. It might be displayed on the dashboard of the account as well.
- Step - 4: It should be kept in mind that this process will only give you the access to view the balance. You will not be able to make any transactions through this portal.
With the idea of helping the girl child, Sukanya Samriddhi was launched by the Indian Government which has a current interest rate of 8.5% (effective from 1 January 2019). You can check your SSY account balance from time to time using the account passbook that is available both online and offline, and has a record of your transaction details.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 8.1%.
|Plan Name||Sukanya Samriddhi Account|
|Account Type||Small Saving Scheme|
|Specifically for||Girl Children|
|Lock-in Period||8 years|
|Minimum Deposit||Rs. 250|
|Maximum Deposit||Rs. 1.5 lakh|
|Premature Withdrawal||Allowed at 18 years only|
|Available Banks||More than 25 banks|
Things to Know about Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi account can be opened by making a minimum deposit of Rs. 250 and maximum deposit of Rs. 1.5 lakh. The Tax benefits on Sukanya Samriddhi account can be availed based on the deposited amount.
- The account can be opened by parents or legal guardian on behalf of their girl children.
- The maximum age of a girl child needs to be 10 years for opening this account.
- The account can be opened by downloading the common SSA account opening form released by the Reserve Bank of India or collecting the account opening form available in banks or post offices.
- The filled application form should be followed by your KYC documents, proof of birth of your girl child, photo ID (both you and your child) and 2 photographs of your girl child.
- The amount received as maturity benefits form Sukanya Samriddhi account is free from income tax.
- The duration of a Sukanya Samriddhi Account is 21 years.
- The account allows premature withdrawal when a girl child completes 18 years.
- The account has a lock-in period of 8 years, excluding the entry age which is 10 years.
- The account provides a relaxation of 1 year for girl children born between the period of 2nd December, 2003 and 1st December, 2004. They are eligible to open Sukanya Samriddhi account by 1st December, 2015.
- The account holder receives tax benefits on the deposits made towards the account. Also, maturity benefits offered by the account is non-taxable.
So far,more than 20 banks have been authorized by the Government of India to open Sukanya Samriddhi accounts.
Tax Benefits on Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Introduced in 2015 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a savings scheme that is focused on the welfare of girl children in the country. The tax-free savings scheme with a luring interest rate, provides the perfect financial assistance for the future of girl children. With an interest rate fixed at 8.1%, significantly higher than other savings schemes such as PPF (8.7%) and saving and fixed deposits (4-6%), the biggest advantage of the saving scheme is its triple E (Exempt, Exempt, Exempt) status, that offers account holders complete tax exemption. Apart from the PPF, the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is the only saving scheme under section 80C that enjoys the triple E tax exemption status. It means that the deposits, proceeds, the accrual interest rate amount and the maturity amount in this scheme are tax exempted. The only drawback of the scheme is the limit an account can hold, which is curtailed to Rs.1.5 lakh.
Transfer of Existing Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Those holding Sukanya Samriddhi Account can transfer their accounts anywhere in India if they are re-locating, or feel they want to transfer SSY account from a post office to a bank or from one bank to another. The procedure is pretty simple. One can transfer their account from a post office to any post office or to any bank that falls under the ambit of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) - anywhere in India. Here are the steps you need to take to transfer an existing Sukanya Samriddhi account:
- You first need to visit the post office holding your account with your updated passbook and KYC documents. Presence of the girl child during the transfer is not required.
- Submit your KYC documents and surrender your Sukanya Samriddhi account passbook. Let the executive know that you are closing the account in the post office and wish for the account to be transferred to a bank.
- The executive would then close your account and give you an application of transfer to be provided at the bank. He will also brief you on the necessary documents required for the transfer.
- Visit the bank you wish the account to be transferred to and submit the transfer application given to you by the post office executive.
- For proof of identification and address submit your KYC documents.
- The bank executive will then hand you a new passbook which will state the outstanding balance from the previous account.
- The bank will then activate your account in due time. From there you can continue the process of making contributions for the welfare and future of your girl child.
Loan Against SSY Account
With regard to taking loans against the Sukanya Samriddhi Account, like people do in other savings schemes such as the PPF and so on, taking a loan against SSY is not an option as of now. Having said that, a guardian can make partial withdrawals from SSY account after the girl has reached the age of 18. The withdrawals should be made for the benefit of the girl child only and withdrawals can be up to 50% of the total accumulated contribution. The withdrawal can be used for the girl’s higher education, marriage, etc..
1. Are loan facilities provided against a Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) account?
No, individuals cannot use an SSY account to avail a loan.
2. Can individuals transfer their SSY account?
Yes, individuals can transfer their SSY accounts from Post Offices to banks and vice versa.
3. Is partial withdrawal in an SSY account available?
Yes, partial withdrawal is allowed once the girl reaches the age of 18 years.
4. Is it possible to close an SSY account before it matures?
Yes, an SSY account can be closed before it matures if the policyholder is getting married. However, the policyholder must be at least 18 years old at the time of marriage.
5.After how many years does an SSY account mature?
The SSY account matures after 21 years from the date the account was opened.
6. What are the modes of deposit in an SSY account?
The modes of deposit are either demand draft, cheque, or cash.
7. Is investing in SSY safe?
Since the scheme was launched by the Indian Government, it is very safe to invest.
8. Is it possible to open more than one SSY account in a girl’s name?
No, each girl can have only one SSY account under her name.
9. Are there any penalties for failing in deposit money in a financial year?
A fine of Rs.50 will be charged if the minimum amount is not deposited for the financial year.
Sukanya Samriddhi Top Pages
Sukanya Samriddhi Other Pages
- Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Axisbank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In SBH
- SSY In State Bank Of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana