As of October 2015, the current Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi launched in the beginning of the year, a small deposit scheme to save for the girl child, being one of the efforts as a part of the 'Beti Bachao Beti Padhao' campaign. The scheme specially for girls' higher education or even marriage needs. While the marriage needs of a girl child is often debatable in India, the needs of education for a woman are increasing by the year.
This scheme’s application can be submitted for girls upto the age of 10 years of age along with a one year grace period. Besides this, opening an account for the same is also is a hassle-free affair. You can open the account registering yourself as a guardian in the name of a girl child till she attains the age of ten years. A single account can be opened per girl child. Parents are allowed to open this account for a maximum of two children, but it is totally worth it for the child. However, in the case of twins or triplets, the facility may be extended to the third child, based on the situation. The account can be opened in post offices as well as authorized bank branches.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 8.1%.
How To Open a Sukanya Samriddhi Account in a Post Office?
The government's initiative to encourage a girl child’s education and being able to save funds for them has received a tremendous response through the Sukanya Samriddhi and is indeed commendable. A lot of institutions are yet not aware of the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana. But the post offices around the corner of your home perhaps is the most convenient place to open up an account. Here is how one can do it:
- You need to first download the form from the respective government portal.
- Fill in the necessary details in the form
Carry all documents necessary that includes:
- Photographs of the girl child and parent/guardian together
- ID proof
- Address proof
- Aadhaar card is very useful for the same.
- Birth certificate of the girl child
- Submit all of the above and the application form at the post office.
It might be possible that some post offices may still not be aware of the scheme. So, have patience and wait for them.
The minimum deposit that can be made towards this account is Rs 250 and the maximum being Rs 1,50,000. The interest rates earned on this account is 8.1%, at the time of withdrawal. Partial withdrawal can be made when the girl turns 18. The full amount is withdrawable at the age of 21. This scheme falls under the Sec 80C (Rs 1.5 lakhs per year) tax free benefit. The number of deposits in a year can be as many times as they want. Note that if one misses a deposit for a particular year, penalty of Rs 50 each year is payable.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SSY Canara Bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Documents Required
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana NRI
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Interest Rate
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Tax Exemption
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Online Check
- Online Transfer to SSY
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojaa Bank List
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund
- SBI sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Passbook
- Bank of Baroda Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Eligibility
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Fixed Deposit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account For OCI And PIO
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Bank of Maharashtra Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Union Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Premature Withdrawal
- Indian Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Central Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Uco Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- SSY Calculator
- SSY Mobile Application
- Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Axisbank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In SBH
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In State Bank Of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Allahabad Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Andhra Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sbbj Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SBP Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Vijaya Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rules Relating To Sukanya Samriddi Account Yojana
- United Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rbi Rules For Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening
- Alternative Birth Certificate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Public Provident Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Recurring Deposit
- ICICI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.