IDBI Bank is one of the fastest growing banks in the country and with increased global exposure is touted to be a bank of the future. It offers a host of banking and financial solutions to customers, simplifying the complicated world of banking. Products and services offered by IDBI Bank are available to customers from all strata of society, bringing about inclusive growth. As per the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India, IDBI Bank is authorised to open accounts under the Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme. This small savings scheme was recently launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and aims to promote saving among families to aid the financial needs of girl children across the country.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 8.1%.
Benefits of IDBI Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Some of the benefits of opening a Sukanya Samriddhi Account with IDBI are mentioned below.
- High interest rate – IDBI Bank offers an interest rate of 8.1% per annum under this scheme. This interest will be compounded and credited to the account every year.
- Tax exemption – Investments made towards this account are free from tax, with all contributions eligible for tax exemptions under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act. The amount at maturity is exempted from tax too, enabling one to use the whole amount for the welfare of the girl child.
- Low initial deposit – Individuals can open this account with a low minimum deposit of Rs 250.
- Transfer – Individuals can choose to transfer this account anywhere in the country, without any hassles and delays.
- Additional Interest – In case the account is not closed on maturity, it will continue to earn interest till the date it is officially closed.
- Maturity – On maturity, the amount would be paid only to the girl child in whose the account is active, ensuring that the money is used for the welfare of the child.
Features of IDBI Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Some of the salient features of IDBI Sukanya Samriddhi Account are mentioned below.
- Account opening – IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened by the natural/legal guardian of a girl child on her behalf.
- Age – The age of the girl child should not be over 10 years at time of opening account. A 1 year grace period is provided for girls born between Dec 2nd, 2003 and Dec 1st, 2004.
- Number of accounts – Only one account can be opened for one girl. A legal guardian can open a maximum of 2 accounts for two girls, with an option to open 3 accounts only in the case of triplets or twins being born after the first child.
- Deposit amount – The minimum initial deposit amount is Rs 1,500 and can be increased in multiples of Rs 100. The maximum investment is limited to Rs 1,50,000 per year. You can use the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana calculator for calculating how much monthly amount you want to put in your Sukanya Samriddhi Account.
- Tenure – The tenure of this deposit is 21 years.
- Premature Closure – Premature closure of account is allowed only if the depositor passes away or in extreme emergencies.
- Deposit term – Deposits can be made for a maximum of 14 years from the date of opening account.
- Account operation – A legal guardian/parent can manage this account on behalf of the girl child till she attains the age of 10 years. Post this age, the girl child can handle the account on her own.
- Account revival – The account can be revived by paying the minimum amount plus a penalty of Rs 50.
- Deposit modes – Deposits can be made either through cash, cheque or demand draft.
- Withdrawal – On attaining the age of 18, the girl child can withdraw 50% of the amount for higher education or marriage.
Documents Required for IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Individuals who wish to open a Sukanya Samriddhi Account with IDBI Bank need to furnish the following documents.
- Birth certificate of girl child
- Address proof of parent/legal guardian – This could be a driving license, passport, ration card, etc.
- ID proof of parent/legal guardian – This could be an election ID card, PAN card, Driving license, etc.
The bank will allot a passbook containing details about the accountholder. This passbook needs to be presented during each deposit and at the time of Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme withdrawal.
Note - The interest rate is determined by the government and is subject to change. The interest rate mentioned here is for the year 2015-2016.
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar’s partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SSY Canara Bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Documents Required
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana NRI
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Interest Rate
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Tax Exemption
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Post Office
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Online Check
- Online Transfer to SSY
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojaa Bank List
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund
- SBI sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Passbook
- Bank of Baroda Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Eligibility
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Fixed Deposit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account For OCI And PIO
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Bank of Maharashtra Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Union Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Premature Withdrawal
- Indian Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Central Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Uco Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- SSY Calculator
- SSY Mobile Application
- Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Axisbank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In SBH
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In State Bank Of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Allahabad Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Andhra Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sbbj Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SBP Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Vijaya Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rules Relating To Sukanya Samriddi Account Yojana
- United Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rbi Rules For Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening
- Alternative Birth Certificate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Public Provident Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Recurring Deposit
- ICICI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account