Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is one of the small savings schemes introduced by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi with a view of providing a better future for the girl child. The scheme was launched on 22nd January 2015 and it is a part of the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ campaign launched by the government of India.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 8.1%.
How to open a Sukanya Samriddhi Account
The Sukanya Samriddhi account can be opened by parents or legal guardians on behalf of their girl children. As per the scheme, only one girl child can be included under one account. The scheme allows maximum two accounts for one legal guardian. When it comes to triplet or twins, the maximum number of accounts can be extended to three. Besides, there is a relaxation of one year provided under the scheme by using which any girl child born between the time period of 2nd December, 2003 and 1st December, 2004, can get age relaxation and open a Sukanya Samriddhi account by 1st December, 2015. Thus, they will be eligible to open this account even if they reach 11. The Sukanya Samriddhi account can be opened at any commercial banks listed by the Reserve Bank of India or at any Indian post offices. Parents or legal guidance can open this account by depositing a minimum amount of Rs.250 and a maximum amount of Rs. 1, 50,000. The Sukanya Samriddhi account does not receive online payment. You need to make the deposit via cheque or demand draft.
Does Sukanya Samriddhi account allow partial withdrawal?
The account allows partial withdrawal. The Sukanya Samriddhi account holder can withdraw up to 50% of the total savings for fulfilling the purpose of marriage or higher education of his/her girl child. The Sukanya Samriddhi account allows partial withdrawal only after the girl reaches the age of 18. It is because only after the age of 18, a girl becomes eligible for legal marriage or pursuing higher education.
The duration of a Sukanya Samriddhi account is 21 years. The account matures after completing 21 years. After that, if the account is not closed, the account holder would receive interest on her savings/balance as specified in the scheme.
Can I close my Sukanya Samriddhi account prematurely?
Yes, the Sukanya Samriddhi account can be closed prematurely. This can only happen when your daughter completes 18 years of age and provided she gets married. The scheme has a minimum lock-in period of 8 years, excluding the maximum permissible age which is 10 years, within which you cannot withdraw any amount from the account. The account requires a minimum deposit of Rs. 250 every year, failing which the account will be discontinued.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SSY Canara Bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Documents Required
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana NRI
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Interest Rate
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Tax Exemption
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Post Office
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Online Check
- Online Transfer to SSY
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojaa Bank List
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund
- SBI sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Passbook
- Bank of Baroda Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Eligibility
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Fixed Deposit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account For OCI And PIO
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Bank of Maharashtra Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Union Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Central Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Uco Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- SSY Calculator
- SSY Mobile Application
- Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Axisbank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In SBH
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In State Bank Of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Allahabad Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Andhra Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sbbj Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SBP Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Vijaya Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rules Relating To Sukanya Samriddi Account Yojana
- United Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rbi Rules For Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening
- Alternative Birth Certificate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Public Provident Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Recurring Deposit
- ICICI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.