As a move to promote the wellbeing of the girl child in India, under its campaign labeled ‘Beti bachao, beti padhao’, the government of India has launched a scheme called the Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme. The objective of this scheme is that it aims at motivating people to be more dedicated their daughter’s education and future while providing them with the opportunity to do so with a special deposit account. Bank of India sukanya samriddhi yojana account allows for deposits of up to 1.5 lakhs in a year to be made in them and have a maturity that is linked to the age of the girl child in whose name it has been opened. Once the money is deposited, it is locked in for the duration and grows at a fixed rate every year. The idea being that when the girl matures, the parents have some money set aside to fund higher education or even her marriage or anything else that she might want to do.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 8.1%.
Features of Sukanya Samriddhi scheme
Before you can start investing in the Sukanya Samriddhi scheme with Bank of India, you will need to know a few thing about it, which are:
- Deposits: The minimum amount that can be deposited in this scheme is Rs. 250 per year and the maximum is Rs. 1.5 lakhs per year.
- It is mandatory to deposit a minimum of Rs. 250 in this account every years and failure to do so will attract a penalty of Rs. 50.
- Deposits paying term: Deposits in this account need to be made only for the first 14 years of the account.
- Documents required: Parents will be required to provide the birth certificate of the child while opening the account.
- Interest rate: The Sukanya Samriddhi interest rate being offered is currently 8.1% per annum though it may or may not change in the future.
- Withdrawals: A partial withdrawal of 50% of the amount is allowed when the girl turns 18 years old however this withdrawal can be made in order to meet expenses of education or marriage.
- The account is available only to those whose daughters are less than 10 years old or have just turned 10 years old.
- Each daughter can have an account in her name even if she happens to be a twin.
- The account matures when the girl attains the age of 21 years.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojna Tax benefits
To add a little incentive to the investments, the contributions made towards this account are eligible for tax benefits under 80C of the IT Act and are therefore limited to a maximum annual contribution of Rs. 1.5 lakhs.
Assuming that the account is opened early enough and a maximum contribution into this account is made to the tune of Rs. 1.5 lakhs every years, the depositor, at the time of maturity, can easily get up to Rs. 78 lakhs. Such an amount is ideal to help fund your daughter’s studies or indeed any other plans that she may have for her life, which makes this a good investment.
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar’s partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SSY Canara Bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Documents Required
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana NRI
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Interest Rate
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Tax Exemption
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Post Office
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Online Check
- Online Transfer to SSY
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojaa Bank List
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund
- SBI sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Passbook
- Bank of Baroda Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Eligibility
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Fixed Deposit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account For OCI And PIO
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Bank of Maharashtra Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Union Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Premature Withdrawal
- Indian Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Central Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Uco Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Features of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Oriental Bank Of Commerce
- SSY Calculator
- SSY Mobile Application
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In Axisbank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In SBH
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account In State Bank Of Travancore
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Allahabad Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Andhra Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sbbj Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- SBP Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Vijaya Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- PNB Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rules Relating To Sukanya Samriddi Account Yojana
- United Bank Of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Rbi Rules For Sukanya Samriddhi Account Opening
- Alternative Birth Certificate for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Public Provident Fund
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Recurring Deposit
- ICICI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
Display of any trademarks, tradenames, logos and other subject matters of intellectual property belong to their respective intellectual property owners. Display of such IP along with the related product information does not imply BankBazaar's partnership with the owner of the Intellectual Property or issuer/manufacturer of such products.