The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao movement was initially started by the Indian Government. It was essentially a joint effort between the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Women and Child Development & Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Introduced in October 2015, the ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao’ (BBBP) scheme, a joint initiative of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) and Ministry of Human Resource Development, is aimed at addressing the issue of decreasing Child Sex Ratio (CSR) in India.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Currently, the rate of interest offered by the SSY scheme is 7.6% p.a.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao – Objectives
The main objectives of the scheme are mentioned below:
- Protection and survival of the girl child.
- To remove selective elimination that is gender biased.
- Education of the girl child.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao – Target Group
The scheme targets the following groups:
- Primary: Parents, pregnant mothers, newly married couples, young married couples, and lactating mothers.
- Secondary: Diagnostic centres, nursing homes, private hospitals, doctors, in-laws, adolescents, and youth.
- Tertiary: General public, industry associations, medical associations, media, voluntary organisations, religious leaders, women SGHs, frontline workers, PRIs, and officials.
Schemes under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
The popular schemes that have been introduced under the BBBP scheme are mentioned below:
- Dhanalakshmi scheme
- Kanyashree Prakalpa Yojana
- Ladli scheme
- Ladli Laxmi Yojana
- Balika Samridhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samridhi Yojana
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Purpose
The BBBP scheme, aims to prevent sex selective abortion and thereby, not only ensure survival of the girl child but also her protection, education and empowerment. The scheme, therefore, aims at multi-sectoral action to not only arrest but also reverse the declining CSR in 100 districts. The scheme is aimed at achieving the following objectives:
- Change in the mindset of parents of bringing up a girl child as ‘paraya dhan’
- Retention of girls in schools
- Challenge gender stereotypes and promote equality between boys and girls
- Stop child marriage and dowry
- Provide a safe environment for girls
- Advocate higher education and simple weddings
- Support girls’ right to inherit property
- Celebrate the girl child
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Campaign across 100 Districts
The Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign is being implemented in 100 select districts across the country which have low CSR. One district is each state in India has been identified in Census 2011 based on the following criteria:
- Above national average but increasing CSR (5 states)
- Above national average but declining CSR (8 districts)
- Below national average
Budget allocation and administration for Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Campaign
The government allocated Rs.100 crore for the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao campaign under the ‘Care and Protection of Girl Child - A Multi Sectoral Action Plan’. However, the scheme is estimated to cost around Rs.200 crore. The MWCD, responsible for budgeting the scheme, transfers the allotted funds to the state. Additional funds are set to be mobilized with assistance from several state governments in addition to corporate social responsibility programmes.
The secretary of MWCD heads a national task force which administers the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme while the chief secretary, the head of the state task force monitors the progress of the scheme across the state. Likewise, collectors will lead various officials in the district to ensure proper implementation of the scheme. District collectors have to document several CSR-related indicators.
The impact of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao scheme will be evaluated at the end of the 12th five year plan to pave way for corrective measures, if any. The said scheme will be assessed on several parameters such as ratio of male & female children, ultrasonography machines and complaints under PNDT act among others.
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Implementation
The Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme is aimed at achieving the aforementioned objectives by taking the following measures:
- Ensure implementation of a wide-reaching and targeted social mobilization campaign to pave way for equal respect for the girl child in all respects including education.
- Trigger healthy debates and public discourse on the issue of declining CSR and stress on its improvement through social media across the country.
- Specific focus on select ‘gender critical’ districts which have low CSR and therefore, need an integrated approach besides intensive and coordinated efforts to achieve the desired results.
- The scheme aims to train both panchayati raj institutions and urban local bodies to work in the right direction to engineer positive social change in tandem with its stated objectives.
- Ensure seamless multi-sectoral convergence at district/block level for proper implementation of the scheme.
Sukanya Samriddhi Top Pages
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- SSY Documents Required
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana NRI
- Sukanya Samriddhi Interest Rate
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Post Office
- SSY Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Balance
- Online Transfer to SSY
- SSY Bank List
- Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Sukanya Samriddhi Other Pages
- SSY Canara Bank
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- IDBI Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account in Axis bank
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Tax Benefits
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund