Axis Bank has been offering banking and financial services to its customers since ages. One of the best provisions of Axis Bank is its feature of Sukanya Samriddhi Accounts for the benefit and welfare of the daughters of the nation.
Axis Bank is the third largest private sector bank in India. The bank offers financial services to customers from large and mid-sized corporates, MSME, agriculture and retail businesses. It is headquartered at Ahmedabad and has over 2402 branches across India. Axis Bank offers treasury options, retail banking, corporate banking, NRI services, Business Banking, Investment Banking, lending to small and medium enterprises, agriculture banking, advisory services and ping pay services to customers.
Reserve Bank of India has authorised Axis Bank to open Sukanya Samriddhi Account (SSA). This small saving scheme was launched by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi. This scheme is designed to encourage saving to meet the financial needs like education and marriage of a girl child.
On 23 July 2018, the criteria for minimum annual deposit for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account has been revised to Rs.250 from the earlier amount of Rs.1,000. Also the interest rate for the July-September quarter is 7.6%.
Factors affecting Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
The factors that affect the working of Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana are as follows:
- The account can be opened for a girl child in India from the time of her birth till the child turns 10 years.
- The minimum deposit is Rs.250 while opening the account. If you wish to revive the account, you have to pay a penalty of Rs.50 along with the minimum subscription amount that has to be paid annually. You can use the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana calculator for calculating how much monthly amount you want to put in your Sukanya Samriddhi Account.
- A single account can be opened for a child.
- The interest rates differ from year to year.
- Premature withdrawal is allowed when the child turns 18.
Process of opening Sukanya Samriddhi Account
The account has to be opened by the girl child’s parent or legal guardian. You will need to fill in the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana application form and submit it with Axis bank with the child’s birth certificate and parent’s or legal guardian’s address and photo ID proof. On successful opening of the account, you will receive a passbook that contains details of date of birth of the child, opening date, account number, address and name with the details of the preliminary amount deposited. The passbook has to be submitted while depositing or receiving interest or at the time of maturity.
Benefits of Axis Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
The benefits of having a Axis Sukanya Samriddhi account are as follows:
- You get a higher rate of interest when compared to the other small savings schemes. The interest rate offered for the current year, 2019-2020 is 7.6 % per annum. The government will declare the applicable rate of interest every year. This interest is compounded and credited every year.
- Contributions made to the Sukanya Samriddhi account and interest earned are exempt from tax under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961. This exemption is also allowed at the time of withdrawal.
- The account matures in 21 years from the date of opening the account or on the date when the child marries. The account will stop operating after the marriage.
- When the girl child turns 18, one premature withdrawal is allowed. This withdrawal is allowed if she wishes to pursue further education or decides to get married.
- Premature withdrawal is allowed to the extent of 50 percent of the balance in the account at the end of the preceding financial year.
- Deposits in Axis Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account are to be made till the completion of 14 years from the date of opening the account.
- The accrued interest will be paid to the girl child at maturity.
- If the account is not closed after maturity, you will earn interest on the amount available in the account till the date the account is closed.
- The account can be opened with Rs.250 as initial deposit and it is subject to a maximum limit of Rs.1.5 lakhs in a financial year.
- You need to deposit at least Rs.250 every year to keep the account active.
- The girl child can operate the account after she turns 10.
- The account can be easily transferred anywhere in India.
Features of Axis Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
The features of the Axis Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account are as follows:
- The account can be opened by the parent or legal guardian on behalf of a girl child.
- Only two accounts can be opened and in case of twins, 3 accounts can be opened.
- The minimum deposit is Rs.250 subject to a maximum deposit of Rs.1.5 lakhs in a year.
- The deposit tenure is 21 years from the date of opening the account.
- Deposits can be made for up to 14 years from the date of opening the account.
- The interest rate offered is 7.6%.
- You will be eligible for tax rebate under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Premature closure is allowed in the event the depositor dies.
- The account can be revived, by paying Rs.50 towards the end of the year along with a specified minimum amount for that year.
- The deposits can be made through cash, cheque or demand draft.
- When the girl child turns 18, up to 50 percent of the balance can be withdrawn for meeting the expenses of higher education or towards her marriage.
Sukanya Samriddhi Top Pages
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Calculator
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Benefits
- Sukanya Samriddhi Interest Rate
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Tax Exemption
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Post Office
- SSY Age Limit
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account Balance
- Online Transfer to SSY
- SSY Bank List
- Documents for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Sukanya Samriddhi Other Pages
- Bank of Maharashtra Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Central Bank of India Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Corporation Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Dena Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Indian Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Indian Overseas Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Sukanya Samriddhi Account for NRI
- Syndicate Bank Sukanya Samriddhi Account
- Beti Padhao Beti Bachao
- Loan against Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- Sukanya Samriddhi Vs Children Mutual Fund